The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Man of Honour
Yeah don't think it is the monitor - mine immediately stopped doing that coming on thing when I changed to an alternative PSU.

Basically the PSU is cheap junk, the bundled DP cable is cheap junk, the quality control is complete junk - I'd cut them more slack if it wasn't for the fact its badged and priced under the ROG line and I've had a 3rd rate RMA experience so far - and that is still better than some have had.

Associate
So, I have a new experience with my ROG Swift. It started turning on at random again :( Some of you may remember my horrendous RMA experience last time this happened. I'm actually pretty lucky that I seem to have a perfect example of the swift with no dead pixels, no backlight bleed, and no grain issues so I'm very anti having the monitor swapped unless I must. When I explained this last time I got sent new monitors three times on the trot and in total it took 3 months to get a new PSU. When one did finally arrive as a final insult they sent it with a kettle lead instead of the needed clover cable (luckily I had a spare) so it was just a rubbish service all round.

Unfortunately 8 months later the problem has started again (a very similar length of time as it took with the first PSU) which pretty much proves these power supplies are simply rubbish quality and get worse as they age. I've submitted another RMA and in this case I've received a new power supply, in 3 days, on the first attempt! I'm actually gobsmacked. This proves that they are capable of providing decent service when they actually try but it would seem they swing from the utterly terrible to the as good as it can get!

Depressingly the PSU has the same part number as the last one so I imagine I'll have this problem again in the future :( But fingers crossed this one is a good one!

Man of Honour
Even with 75Hz and Fast Sync playing BF4 without G-Sync and 144Hz is incredibly painful :| dunno how anyone puts up with 60Hz lol.

Man of Honour
Ended up dropping Fast Sync nice as it is was still feeling "heaviness" on the controls in some situations in BF4 and gone full V-Sync off - but arrrgh the rippling (screen tearing). Can't wait to get back on 120+Hz even for desktop.

Man of Honour
So seems that the problem with the displays going fuzzy is related to components on a add in board roughly at the bottom right half way between the middle and the LED - if you place your hand near the spot you can feel the surface is very hot - apparently there are FETs there suffering high current leakage to ground that eventually suffer thermal failure due to it or something like that - while the poor quality of the PSU can exacerbate the problem seems it isn't the main cause.

Associate
I was looking at getting this monitor. I started reading from the start of this thread and it looked like a great monitor. But as I get closer to the end its nothing but problems. Is it something I should stop away from. Just waiting for a 1070 to come so want to get the best out of it.

Man of Honour
While I'm not sure on the track record of the Dell S2716DG in regard to the fuzzy text issue (as it shares the same panel and much of the electronics) aside from the OSD controls and vertical height adjustment (which is fixed on the Dell though at a fairly good position) the Dell IMO is a better monitor in every way - has the additional HDMI port, it looks and feels more of a premium part and hopefully doesn't have the other QC issues of the Asus and comes with a decent quality DP cable rather than the low budget job with the Asus. So far pretty impressed with the Dell and hope it stays that way.

Also Dell in my experience have been fairly reasonable for RMAing stuff if needs be while my experience with Asus has been pretty bad both with this monitor and some motherboards I've had to RMA previously often getting what appears to be someone else's RMA'd product sent out as a replacement exactly as it was received by them - though some user reports claim to have had a better experience recently.

Last edited:
Associate
My swift died last night....

URL=http://s208.photobucket.com/user/Peakxix/media/Mobile Uploads/20160817_063540.jpg.html]
20160817_063540.jpg
[/URL

Guess it's RMA time?

Associate
I had the same power unit problem, the monitor would just randomly turn on but also had the opposite problem of having to take the plug out to boot it back up.

When I sent in an RMA for the power unit they replaced the screen only to begin with when I wanted just the power unit replaced. Then I had to tell them again it was the power unit not the monitor which they finally got replaced 2 or so weeks later.

Asus RMA service isn't great at all.

Associate
I have the same issue with mine, can't turn the screen on and off again unless i unplug it.

Is there a 3rd party PSU that will do the job? I did see somewhere that the PSU used for their laptops is the same as this? dunno if thats true?

Man of Honour
I ended up using an Asus F3S 19V 4.74A laptop replacement PSU (generic brand not Asus) - worked fine.

As per my post above and regarding my earlier posts where I postulated the PSU might be the cause of the faults - I've been following a couple of people who've done investigations and the original PSU isn't the root cause of the problem though it can cause the problem to occur earlier than it would due to putting additional stress on the relevant components. The main issue with these monitors is FET components on the lower right hand side (when looking at the front of the monitor) suffering heat degradation due a combination of position in the monitor and electrical leakage causing them to run many times hotter than intended and eventual thermal breakdown.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom