Help with setting up system to access main PC from lounge

Soldato
Currently, I am limited to working, playing games and watching media in my computer room on a decent'ish tv but I now wish to get a good tv and surround system in the lounge. I have a chromecast dongle and require a way to access the shared hard drives on my main pc and stream the content to the lounge tv.

I don't want to use my laptop to access the shared drives on my main PC as its too bulky etc. I want to get a tablet that is capable of accessing my pc media and to stream it with the chromecast or if necessary some other device.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a tablet capable of accessing windows pc shared drives or would a some sort of media PC for the lounge be better? Is there a AV receiver that could perhaps do an on screen navigation of shared media on the network from the lounge PC? All ideas are greatly appreciated as i know very little about this stuff.

Associate
Maybe try Plex media Server. Most smart TVs have a client built in. You don't get direct access to directories as the media has to be in a library though.

Also iOS/android app available. Quite a good ecosystem.

Associate
Another vote for Plex here. It's definately available on J series Samsung smart TV's (and I would assume the newer K series) and works really well.

Back
Top Bottom