• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RADEON RX 460 NOW IN STOCK FROM £99.95 & OcUK VIDEO REVIEW !!

Soldato
I'm saying, the less you spend, the more than a 2nd hand card becomes a gamble worth taking.

You're mistaken. What you may mean is that the less you are spending, the greater the price-performance gain you get from buying second hand. This may be broadly true. But your error is to factor in only the extra gains and keep your mindset of someone who can absorb that risk if it fails. But you neglect that the smaller someone's budget, the less they can absorb the consequences of it going wrong and writing off their entire investment.

To put it simply, you're thinking like a person with spare money choosing to spend less. That is a different take on risk than someone without spare money who can only spend that amount of money. The former (you) necessarily assess risk as lower than the latter. You're mentally thinking "it's low risk, I might lose out and have to spend an extra £100 but I'll probably get a bit more performance". Whereas the person who actually has a constrained budget thinks "if this goes wrong, I wont be able to game, is it worth taking that one in twenty shot for an extra 10% performance"? And they come out with a different answer. Supportably so.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Thought that is what you would say. ;)

Doom proves otherwise, 4G allows for higher detail level settings not available on 2G and on Ultra settings still achieved a respectable 55fps at 1080P on Ultra:

So with DX12 and Vulkan being adopted more 4GB is actually a benefit on the RX 460 and I'd say 55fps is perfectly playable. :)

This is what a lot of people seem to be struggling to understand, More and more games are becoming memory hogs due to the texture files not settings that require additional gpu grunt.

Permabanned
It's a poor analogy - as a 460 will still allow you to play games even if you have to lower a few details.

Just because it doesn't offer much of a performance increase vs say a 7850 doesn't make it terrible.

It's not aimed at users of existing low-mid cards, but for a new low end pc it will be hard to beat.

Obviously if you have the money you are better off with a 470, but on a tight budget this is a decent option.

The thing that bothers me is if this 460 gives roughly the same performance as a 7850 as many are saying in this thread what's gone wrong?

You could buy a 7850 for roughly the same money 5 years ago.

Okay you have freesync support and some other bits but for the average gamer there's no real improvement in performance which is a joke

Last edited:
Don
There a certain irony to you saying "not everybody wants a 5 year old card", having previously said that a 460 is great to play a 12 year old game on.

I assume you mean WoW, in which case I'm sure you know that it has undergone several graphical upgrades, and so is hardly representative of a 12 year old game.

Oh and btw, I'm not saying people should buy a 2nd hand card for £100+.

But you equally aren't saying what people should buy new for £100?

Eg, when you have the choice of:

£100-£130 RX 460
£25 - £35 7850

Except your mythical £25-£35 7850's don't exist. Maybe you can get close to that on the MM on here, but having just checked both ebay and gumtree you are looking at nearer £65-£70.

A £130 (£135?) RX 460 4GB isn't a fair comparison to a 7850, as with some careful selection, I imagine you could run some higher detail settings that use more than the 1GB/2GB a 7850 offers, with little/no performance loss.

Personally if my 7850 dies tomorrow, I would either buy a better 2nd hand card, or a RX470, as I am not on a ridiculously tight budget.

I said it earlier in this thread - we are not the target market of this card. This will likely sell well to OEM's, so that people who want PC's that "Just work" with no trouble can buy them off the shelf (or upgrade existing branded PCs).

Caporegime
<snip>Whereas the person who actually has a constrained budget thinks "if this goes wrong, I wont be able to game, is it worth taking that one in twenty shot for an extra 10% performance"? And they come out with a different answer. Supportably so.

The odds of getting a faulty 2nd hand card are not 19/20 :p

And if you did? Well, eBay always side with the buyer.

And if you bought in the MM here, from someone with a good Trust, you're laughing as well.

The idea that a £35 2nd hand card from either of those places represents a "real chance of losing money", is ill-informed. There is practically no risk at all.

Your apparent assertion that only 1/20 2nd hand cards will work is frankly c uckoo :)

e: WHHHHHHHHHHHHAT? A small bird that lays its eggs in another birds nest is filtered as a rude word? Ye gads.

Don
You won't be playing anything recent. You won't be playing MGS5, GTA5, FO4, etc, on high settings at 60 FPS on a 7850.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Heck, you won't even do medium settings at 60 FPS.

I don't think 60fps medium on GTA V is that much of a stretch for the 4GB 460. Guru3d had it at 43fps on maximum settings.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_460_strix_gaming_4gb_review,17.html

The thing that bothers me is if this 460 gives roughly the same performance as a 7850 as many are saying in this thread what's gone wrong?

You could buy a 7850 for roughly the same money 5 years ago.

The 460 is generally slightly faster than the 7850, but depending on circumstances can be faster than the 7870 or 270X. The fact that the 460 can match the performance of these despite a relatively large shader deficit shows that the architecture has potential.

A lot of the issue has been with the move to the new smaller process 14nm vs the 28nm that was mature and produced high quality chips.

Associate
The thing about the 460 is it's not aimed at people like us who are on hardware forums and look at price/performance of cards before buying. If someone sees this brand new card on the shelves at any computer shop it will look like a good deal, because they might not even be aware of how it performs compared to other GPUs.

As i said earlier,there are still loads of people with monitors at 1650 by 1050 and lower,looking at the steam hardware survey 25% of people game at 1366 x 768 res,
so the 460 would be a good card for them.
I would think most of these are laptop users, but yes I'm sure there are still lots of people gaming at less than 1080p. Even PS4 / XBONE users will not be getting 1080p most of the time.

Soldato

Where would you like to put the odds?

I'm not at all as confident as you on this. If a card I bought from OCUK dies on me after a couple of months, I'm not worried. Ebay, not so much.

The idea that a £35 2nd hand card from either of those places represents a "real chance of losing money", is ill-informed. There is practically no risk at all.

I don't believe that and nor will many other people. I would be FAR more confident buying a card from OCUK new than second hand from some stranger on the Internet. Also, where is this "£35" figure coming from?

Your apparent assertion that only 1/20 2nd hand cards will work is frankly c uckoo :)

It's not an assertion, it's an illustration of how risk tolerance is different between someone who is choosing to buy a lower budget card (your mindset) and someone who has an externally imposed upper limit on their budget.

e: WHHHHHHHHHHHHAT? A small bird that lays its eggs in another birds nest is filtered as a rude word? Ye gads.

OCUK forum are extremely sensitive. I got a week suspension for calling AllBodies an idiot! As I don't believe it works on an aggregate basis, I probably should have stated that most of the people in that thread were idiots and got more insults in for the same price.

Associate
Just 1 other thing I would like to say, I like many others (probably) have never ran an fps counter or done a benchmark, just loaded up and played.

Also, when I got my apu, many on here and other forums where saying you can`t play games on an apu. For people like me you don`t need expensive equipment, so a rx460 is perfectly acceptable.

Associate
The 460 is a great card, if not for Brexit it would probably have been under £100 for most models. Can't really argue with GTX 950 perf for that price.

Associate

And if you bought in the MM here, from someone with a good Trust, you're laughing as well.

Just to note that all hardware as a finite lifetime. A 4 year old card that works perfectly today might not work perfectly in 6 months time. At that point, neither OCUK Trust or eBay would recover the money. The probability of this is not zero (otherwise warranty period would be longer than 2 or 3 years), and so it is not true that there is "practically no risk at all".

Caporegime
Something must be wrong with my 7950 & 380 as well, 'cause those don't get me 60 fps @ 1080p medium either in AAA titles (nor indeed @ 1680 x 1050).

Thanks. I know I'm not alone in having a "normal" 7850, or a 280X that couldn't do 60 FPS constantly on something like Metro, which is a few years old now.

Where people got these beast-mode 7850s from that run GTA5 at 60 FPS I have no idea :p

---

Someone asked what the "risk" of a 2nd hand purchase is. I've bought a 8800gt (ebay), a 5870 (MM), a 7850 (MM) and a 280X (MM). Also a 2500k (ebay) and an Asus Z77 mobo (ebay). That's just what I can remember. The mobo came with bent pins, I opened a dispute and ebay refunded when the seller totally failed to respond. Took about a week to get a refund on the mobo.

If the odds were 1/20 that they would work, as alleged, then for a start nobody would buy 2nd hand. Anyone with a working noggin is going to laugh at that completely made-up statistic.

And yes, 7850s have gone for £35. At that price, I'm saying that the "risk" is essentially non-existent.

At £135 I'd say there's some risk. You might get something that lasts only 18 months and then you've lose £135. Tbh, if a £35 7850 lasts 18 months you couldn't complain too much.

And lastly, my Ps1 is still going strong, and so is a lot of electronics older than I am. As long as they're kept within tolerances (heat, current, etc), there really isn't a reason to suspect that a 7850 that's lived this long will suddenly pack up.

Soldato
It's often worse than a 370 mate. At best it's a 270X.

The 380 is a whole tier above.

Cheers for reply.

So the 460 is priced at £135 and roughly it's about as good as the 7850 I bought for £165 in April 2012 which lasted me until January 2016 (RIP), I then replaced that with the 380 for £150 which i've had 7 months use of.

Mind-blowing stuff.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
The people who buy this don't care about 2nd hand products, they most likely won't be enthusiasts and just want something to throw in their PC for a casual bit of gaming.

It wouldn't surprise me if the bulk of sales on this will be OEM, as its the type of card they would like to put in their PC's and say it's gaming ready.

I hope people complaining about the price voted remain in the referendum, as the higher prices is almost certainly a result of the exchange rate plummet.

Caporegime
The people who buy this don't care about 2nd hand products, they most likely won't be enthusiasts and just want something to throw in their PC for a casual bit of gaming.

It wouldn't surprise me if the bulk of sales on this will be OEM, as its the type of card they would like to put in their PC's and say it's gaming ready.

Fair enough I suppose.

But going forwards, if anyone came *here* to this forum and said, "I have £100 to spend and I want to play games", I don't think you're going to get many people rushing to recommend the 460.

What people do who aren't bothered about doing any research is not my concern :) Generally if you don't do your homework you get what you deserve... :p

Back
Top Bottom