What book are you reading...

Soldato
Justin Cronin - The Twelve - not quite sure it's as good as the first one but I am enjoying it.

Love Banks work, shame the guy is dead, utter shame, will miss that we do not get any additional Culture works, shame shame shame.

Yep, I used to name all my ships in EVE Online after Culture ship names. I had the most wonderful Bhaalgorn called 'Steely Glint' that served me so well in WH PVP.

Soldato
Just finished the second of the Kingkiller Chronicles. Patrick Rothfuss' glacial production schedule has just become my problem.

Oh well, I have a few of Sanderson's novels to finish off which should take me to the release of Brent Week's next book. I do need to find time to read something other than fantasy though.

Soldato
So I've always wished I'd spent a bit more time reading "worthy books" in particular some philosophy. So I've jumped in feet first.

I've bought the first 10 books in the Penguin Great Ideas set.
Penguin Great Ideas

So I'm currently reading Book 1 Seneca's "On The Shortness Of Life". I've finished the title essay and have 2 more to go.

It's quite unstructured by modern standards, I can quite imagine it as a philosophers oratory rather than a book. Seneca argues life is long enough as long as you don't wee it away. Seneca has a lot of ideas on what weeing it away includes but it boils down to if you're not a philosopher with World changing ideas that will reverberate down the ages life is wasted. Or I might be being a bit glib, it is hard to clearly identify what Seneca is for, but fairly clear what he is against.

Roman's hey, what have they ever done for us?

Two more "essay's" to go then I'll try "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. I don't expect this to be a quick process only 99 2/3rds books to go.

Associate
Finished reading Ender in Exile. Tied up all the ends of all the characters that weren't finished in Enders Game and ones from the Shadow series.

I'm also currently listening to The First Law series by Joe Ambercrombie. On Book 2: Before they are hanged. I'm still really enjoying it. Really like the characters even the ones i that i think are absolute arses.

Not sure what books to physically read at the moment though.

Man of Honour
Arisen - Nemesis which is book 8.5
loving it, better than the last few in the series and obviously fills in a back story for book 9 (which i haven't read yet)

Associate
Just finished listening to Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson, narrated by Michael Kramer - brilliant. Can't wait for the next one, starting the Stormlight Archive and John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series while I wait for more Mistborn.

Also finished the Reckoners series, not as good as Mistborn, still good.

Soldato
Justin Cronin - The Twelve - not quite sure it's as good as the first one but I am enjoying it.

It's the weakest of the three, he tends to lose focus a bit but more than makes up for it in the third and final book, "The City of Mirrors", which is one of the best books I've read in years.

I very much hope that Ridley Scott will take up his option to turn them into movies. :eek: :)

Man of Honour
Currently reading Ruth Rendell's "Dark Corners", the last book before her death. Although I get the impression is was edited after her death, because some of the style isn't quite right. While I quite like the Wexford books, I much prefer the other books she wrote, the psychological thrillers like this one. You know someone is going to die (there is one Rendell where no-one dies, and I can't remember which one it is) but you will still be taken by surprise about who and why.

Other books I've read since I last posted a list:

"Something Coming Through" by Paul J McAuley. (McAuley is one of two British SF writers who seldom get the credit they deserve. The other is Iain MacDonald, who is a genuinely great writer. Although I'll bet money many of the SF fans here won't like his stuff.) A police procedural (sort of) set in the near future after an alien visitation. It is good, but my heart sank when I realised partway through that there will be sequels. Which means no real resolution to anything important.

"The Long Way to Small Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers. Cosy SF. I imagine the Firefly fnas will love it. Not because they have much in common, but because it also feature s a small crew of generally nice people being generally nice to each other. It's also rather sporadic, and has an action climax that is over very quickly. That said, it does avoid falling into the trap of (say) the Expanse books, where the motley randomly gathered crew all appear to be the best in all the universe in their particular fields. But the cosy spaceship style has been dead since the 60s, and I'm not sure it needs to come back. Again, the first of a series, and again it means no real ending.

"reamde" by Neal Stephenson. And I didn't spot the spelling until a character points it out. This would have made a brilliant 500-page book. Unfortunately it is about 1000 pages long (really). Stephenson seems convinced that if a 20-page chase is great, a 200-page chase must be epic, so he keeps having action sequences go on far too long. FAR too long. After 100 pages I'm not thrilled, I'm skimming ahead to find out when it finishes. Great writing lies in contrasts. The action sequences actually distracted from some more interesting ideas concerning the game at the centre of the book.

"Bring the Jubilee" by Ward Moore. And old 1950s classic of alternate world books, where the South won the US civil war. Dated in some ways, but fun, especially for the consequences of that win: the US has fallen far behind Europe in science and technology.

"The Fifth Head of Cerberus" by Gene Wolfe. It wasn't Wolfe's first book, but it is the first that is typical: unreliable narrators, hidden details, and great writing. Again, I suspect most here will hate it.

Soldato
John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series ...
Also finished the Reckoners series, not as good as Mistborn, still good.

I love the Black Tide Rising series. It's a wonderfully self-contained story and the description of the start of the apocolypse and the nature of the virus itself makes it almost realistic. FYI, there is also an anthology of short stories set in the same universe that I'm just working through now too. It's as good as the main books.
My one reservation is his apparent liking for rather too young girls but I kind of just added 5 years to each of the girls subconciously. :)

The Reckoners series is great too. I'd love to know what happens with Oblivion though. :)

Associate
Ever read a book and feel you're not getting anywhere? I've been on this Way of the Kings for weeks, only reading a chapter here and there, but it hardly looks like I've made a dent! Maybe I'll need to up my reading.

Underboss
Tiger Force, the true story of an execution squad during the Vietnam War.

It's good, has a lot about the group and the atrocities they committed and a lot about the CID team trying to catch them after the fact.

Associate
Ever read a book and feel you're not getting anywhere? I've been on this Way of the Kings for weeks, only reading a chapter here and there, but it hardly looks like I've made a dent! Maybe I'll need to up my reading.

Been that way with Malazan 9 ( I forget the name) for about 18 months now. This is having read the preceding 8 in 8 months...

Associate
Been that way with Malazan 9 ( I forget the name) for about 18 months now. This is having read the preceding 8 in 8 months...

18! Man that's long. I've been trying to read a chapter at a time, but I'm on one right now that's huge. So half way through. Gonna get to the end and see about starting a new book. Come back with a fresh mind. I keep buying books too and the 'to read' pile is getting bigger almost by the day.

Soldato
"reamde" by Neal Stephenson. And I didn't spot the spelling until a character points it out. This would have made a brilliant 500-page book. Unfortunately it is about 1000 pages long (really). Stephenson seems convinced that if a 20-page chase is great, a 200-page chase must be epic, so he keeps having action sequences go on far too long. FAR too long. After 100 pages I'm not thrilled, I'm skimming ahead to find out when it finishes. Great writing lies in contrasts. The action sequences actually distracted from some more interesting ideas concerning the game at the centre of the book.

I loved The Baroque Cycle by Stephenson, but he's so guilty of drawing things out and over-explaining in it - it could easily be half the length!

Associate
I'm working my way through GOT on Blu-Ray and some of the extras are brilliant in going into the history and lore of characters, religions, factions etc. Really gave me a better understanding of stuff that goes on in the books.

Associate
Now onto Dying Light by Stuart Macbride - Second in the Logan McRae series. Read the first one before this and enjoyed it so started this one right after. Haven't long started reading again so trying to find styles I like.

Finished the Lies of Locke Lamorra and enjoyed that a lot and will definitely pick up the rest of the series at some point.

Finished Knotts and Crosses by Ian Rankin, which although rather old, I did enjoy also. I'm told the series gets better and better so definitely going to pick some more of his up.

See how they run by Tom Bale is another one - started rather well but quickly became rather tedious and far fetched. I did slog it to the end though :D

Soldato
Could some recommend a good WWI book? Something that gives a more general historical view rather than personal accounts of specific units or soldiers.

Soldato
I still haven't finished all of Seneca's On Shortness Of Life because it demands my complete attention to read and the monkeys are not giving me many opportunities.

Meanwhile I'm reading Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's hard sci-fi and I'm quite enjoying it but I'm not sure where it's going, much like his much longer Mars Trilogy I think it may fizzle out as a story but remain a fantastic piece of science fiction.

Back
Top Bottom