No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

I’ve seen so many planets, met so many aliens, and mined so much goddamn carbon and not once have I been surprised. Not once has the game thrown me a curve ball. Every new location is just a different coloured home for the same old routine, and the procedural generation means that things feel far less diverse than they could be – when randomised pools replace handcrafted designs, the Lego bricks piecing everything together are far too obvious.

Also ... (this was made a few years back but is now more relevant than ever before)

http://www.joshandjayshow.com/no-mans-sky-beta/

Associate
I'll admit I'm not really vested in this game one way or another but can someone explain what it is about this game that has generated such an ardent defence force that videos of the one of the devs outright saying you can meet other players (albeit that it was unlikely to happen) somehow doesn't count as an admission that there was at least a limited multiplayer element and it's now gone?

Every gaming forum I look at is full of white knights trying to work around it through wordplay.

Soldato
I'll admit I'm not really vested in this game one way or another but can someone explain what it is about this game that has generated such an ardent defence force that videos of the one of the devs outright saying you can meet other players (albeit that it was unlikely to happen) somehow doesn't count as an admission that there was at least a limited multiplayer element and it's now gone?

Every gaming forum I look at is full of white knights trying to work around it through wordplay.

Just your normal fanboyism at play, not surprising considering the hype for this got some people foaming at the mouth.

Soldato
Yeah it is a pretty poor show that people are defending the totally missing "multiplayer" element.

Sean did state several times in interviews that it was possible to meet other players (however unlikely), but now it's been uncovered to be untrue, which pretty much means that they've falsely advertised the game.

In fact, the way that any changes to the planets are lost upon leaving and now you cannot even ever see another player, just makes the entire game feel isolated and pretty pointless.

Soldato

It's just most people that are interested in the game have followed development and it's always been clear that it's a single player experience. Whether or not a nameless character can appear in your game that may or may not be a player just isn't relevant to what I want or expect from the game.

Can just imagine bumping into some delightful troll that digs you into a massive hole or steals everything you're trying to harvest or something equally hilarious. No thanks!

Soldato
I do kind of want to get the game, but I've got a few unexpected expenses this month and I can't really justify two games, and I'm gonna have to go with Deus Ex. Maybe if it were £20-25 on a key store

Associate
Do some people just have to much time to hate some games because others like those games?

They are bad, especially so if they've not played it, but then at the same time you have the delusional (like the guys who said they met up on a planet but didn't really) who are also just as bad.

This game is a classic example of hype gone wrong. Unrealistic expectations just went through the roof which were not helped by the developer messages about the possibly of seeing another player. Always kind of thought this "meeting other players" talk was nothing more than "gamerkid88 was here 10/08/2016". If they was actual real time player synchonisation they would've milked that to death in the marketing as it's a major selling point. Adding something like that is a huge technical challenge and I don't think it'll come later on either.

Still, I might pick it up at a later date. The science and space aspect intrigues and I think I'd find it fun.

Associate
It's just most people that are interested in the game have followed development and it's always been clear that it's a single player experience. Whether or not a nameless character can appear in your game that may or may not be a player just isn't relevant to what I want or expect from the game.

Can just imagine bumping into some delightful troll that digs you into a massive hole or steals everything you're trying to harvest or something equally hilarious. No thanks!

And in both cases I'd agree, my limited checking of this game during development always made it seem mainly single player (although there was talk of meeting other players), and frankly yes I'd rather have a Galaxy to myself than get griefed.

I just don't get how fanboyism has folded in on itself to the point where something things the devs say on national television don't count as admissions this was in the game, even as evidence emerges that copies of the game are having their multiplayer logo covered up with stickers. It smells like one of those things that ends in a class action law suit tbh.

Soldato
I'm pre-ordering fanboy, but I've gotta be honest I did see a vid on YouTube where Sean Murray did say there wasn't a full multi player side to the, game but they either were going to or were thinking about implementing like a chat lobby if players met.

Associate
People are seldom satisfied! Personally, I know I will enjoy this game immensely. I'm not deterred by criticism, because my expectations were comparatively more realistic than the majority.

Having said that, it's images like these that serve only to increase my excitement!

Associate
Yeah it is a pretty poor show that people are defending the totally missing "multiplayer" element.

Sean did state several times in interviews that it was possible to meet other players (however unlikely), but now it's been uncovered to be untrue, which pretty much means that they've falsely advertised the game.

In fact, the way that any changes to the planets are lost upon leaving and now you cannot even ever see another player, just makes the entire game feel isolated and pretty pointless.

I thought he'd implied on twitter that the reason those two guys who streamed them meeting in the same place but not seeing each other was due to network issues?

someone on reddit put all his tweets together one after another and its reads to suggest that..... or did I read it all wrong?

ive been at work so not had time to read everything that's been said about it.

on another note does anyone know when the pc preload is starting?

Soldato
Not sure what Hello Games stance is on multiplayer.

I have seen Sean say, during interview/live demos that it is possible to meet and travel with other players however this is unlikely.

Then i see him a few days ago on twitter saying this is NOT a multiplayer game and people should not buy it expecting it to be so.

I can see that confusing a lot of people buying into the hype expecting to travel the cosmos with their best buddy.
murray2e0up8.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a real shame that meeting with computer AI is pretty much completely ripped from FTL.

Just watched a few streams to get a gist of the game play. Every player would travel to the same looking space stations. They would meet pretty similar looking Aliens.

You would get a small question pop up. One example was apparently the Alien is in pain and is looking to you for some resources.

What a real pity that the computer AI player model shows absolutely no indication of being in pain. It's just always the exact same animation on a loop. With just text to fill in the blanks. I'm sorry that works with FTL a tiny little indie game and was done much better by the way.

There is going to be a tonne of disappointed people when they get their pre-orders.

Man of Honour
So because you've decided you don't like it, without playing it, you absolutely must force your own opinions on everyone else?

If you think it is bad here, head over to the steam forum :p

Seriously, people are entitled to their opinion, I just hate it when they try to shove it down your throat...especially when they haven't played the game. Personally I love what I have seen and a lot of people have been very positive about this game having played it...of course they get ignored in a lot of the arguments.

So, Friday 6pm release?

Back
Top Bottom