*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Had them for a while now.

Everyone should watch A Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse.

Awesome movie :)

Plus The Martian is awesome for the scenery.

Caporegime
Is there any point in upgrading if you don't have a 4k TV?

Depends if you can use the other features. Shared planner so you can watch everything you've recorded on both (or all three) boxes, wireless connection to the secondary boxes so no need for cables, single second box included in the price, download recordings to your tablets to watch outside the house.

Soldato
Depends if you can use the other features. Shared planner so you can watch everything you've recorded on both (or all three) boxes, wireless connection to the secondary boxes so no need for cables, single second box included in the price, download recordings to your tablets to watch outside the house.

You get a single second box free? So you get two rooms for the price of one?

I am pretty sold on this as long as like you say in the other thread it will run without sky broadband (i am sure they were only selling it with Sky BB when it was first released)

I can always upgrade to a 4K TV at Xmas :D

Do you need Sky Go to view it all on your tablet or could you cancel that?

Last edited:
Soldato
You get access to two apps.

Sky Q and Sky Go Xtra.

Both allow you to download to your tablet to watch without data. Both allow you to watch live tv anywhere in the uk.

The Q app in he house will allow you to watch recordings, and all live tv channels. While out of the house it allows you to watch the same channels as available on sky go.

Soldato
You get a single second box free? So you get two rooms for the price of one?

Yes, you get one Mini box included and can add more for a one-off charge of £99 plus £50 installation.

Be aware that the Mini boxes function pretty much identically to the main one and effectively extend the system into another room. This is not at all like having two separate Sky+HD boxes - instead both boxes will have access to the same content, recordings, downloads etc.

This can be a boon or a curse. Personally I live alone so having everything available everywhere and not having to worry about which box I use to schedule recordings etc is very handy. If you have a family and want separate boxes for the kids for example, it could be a big pain as you can't separate different people's content.

Permabanned
On my 2nd sky q box after the hard drive failed on the 1st. Today I just keep getting the broadband connectivity issues to can't use demand or Sky cinema etc. Tried switching off at the plug, reset the router and re-pairing the box but still not working :(

Any other ideas? My internet is working fine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
On my 2nd sky q box after the hard drive failed on the 1st. Today I just keep getting the broadband connectivity issues to can't use demand or Sky cinema etc. Tried switching off at the plug, reset the router and re-pairing the box but still not working :(

Any other ideas? My internet is working fine.

Did you get it working?

Permabanned
Did you get it working?

Spent an hour on the phone this morning with no joy. Engineer booked for Thursday afternoon. Looks like I'm heading for my 3rd silver box lol.

Even they were perplexed as live TV works on the silver but no other service, recordings don't even work. He said if everything else isn't working neither should live TV. The mini box does not work at all.

Was looking forward to viewing some 4K content this weekend :mad:

Don
You get access to two apps.

Sky Q and Sky Go Xtra.

Both allow you to download to your tablet to watch without data. Both allow you to watch live tv anywhere in the uk.

The Q app in he house will allow you to watch recordings, and all live tv channels. While out of the house it allows you to watch the same channels as available on sky go.

A few questions re this if you don't mind:

First of all reading your post it seems that there's no need to install Sky Go if you've got Q installed? There's nothing Go offers that Q doesn't?

If you did install both on one device does that count as 2 of your 4 slots?

And finally, if you have 2 people using the Q app to watch live tv is there any restrictions on others using Sky Go at the same time?

Caporegime
The registration of the device only counts once if you have Sky Go and the Q app. Because of this you can still only watch on two devices at any one time, the same as Sky Go.

Don
So if 2 devices are using the Q app nobody can use Sky Go?

Hypothetically if you downloaded content onto a device on either app and turned wifi off, could you watch recorded content on 1 device while 2 other devices were watching live tv?

Man of Honour
OP
FYI: Sky Q FAQ

•I have an offer on my Sports/Movies. Will this transfer over?
•Discounts specific to these packages can be transferred with your order.

•What about the Buy and Keep films I ordered? •
Buy & Keep purchases will automatically transfer across to the new Sky Q box during install, and be available to download to your Sky Q box when you want to watch them.

•Will the Sky Sports F1 channel still work without sports, as part of the HD offering?
•Customers who currently subscribe to HD without sports and receive Sky Sports F1 channel will be able to continue recieving F1 without sports.

•What will the additional charge for UHD subscription be?
•There will not be any additional subscription charge for viewing any UHD programmes when they are available, they will be included in Sky Q Silver subscription bundle.

•Are the Sky Q boxes UHD compatible?
•The Sky Q Silver box is UHD compatible, Sky will be launching a UHD service later in the year. Sky Q and Sky Q mini boxes are not UHD compatible.

•If I lose my broadband connection will my Sky Q mini stop playing live TV or recordings?
•No. As long as your Sky Q Hub/Broadband Router is powered your Sky Q mini will use the local network.

•Can I watch the same recording at the same time on multiple devices?
•You can watch the same recording on multiple devices and each device can watch from any point in the program and be controlled completely independently.

•Is Sky Q replacing Sky+HD?
•No. Sky Q is a premium product and our Sky+HD platform will remain as the preferred choice for many homes.

•How can i tell when a series is due to expire from On Demand?
•Any program which is due to expire within 30 days will be clearly labelled on the tile of each episode.

•How many Sky Q boxes can I have?
•Customers can have a maximum of one Sky Q or Sky Q Silver Box per Sky account.

•How many Sky Q mini’s can I have?
•Customers can have a maximum of four Sky Q Mini boxes. The Sky Q Silver box will support viewing on up to 5 screens at a time: Main screen, two Sky Q Mini boxes and two tablets using the Sky Q App.

•Can I keep my existing Sky+ HD subscription as well as my new Sky Q setup?
•As Sky+HD and Sky Q are two separate services, they require different technology to be used at the satellite dish. As part of your upgrade to Sky Q, we will change one of the elements of the customer's satellite dish such that it will work for Sky Q, but it will no longer work for Sky+HD. In most cases your dish itself and existing cabling will not need to be replaced.

•Can I transfer my recordings from my current Sky box(es) to Sky Q?
•No, this is not possible. A lot of recorded programming we will be available via On Demand though.

•How many cables do I need attached to my satellite dish?
•These both connect to your main Sky Q (Silver) box. The Sky Q Silver box has 12 tuners which enable you to record 4 programs, watch a 5th, Use 2 Sky Q minis and watch live TV on 2 Sky Q Apps all at the same time. Both Sky Q bundles also include Sky Go Extra allowing you to watch up to another two programs live at the same time.

•How can I continue watching 3rd party subscriptions?
•Subscriptions to 3rd Party channels will automatically work as normal on the main Sky Q box. Even if you are sent a replacement card as part of your Sky Q setup, subscriptions to 3rd Party channels from your main viewing location will automatically transfer over to the new card. More info on third party channels is available here.

•How many tablet devices can be registered with Sky Q App? •Tablets do not need to be registered to use the Sky Q app in the home. You can do this on as many tablets as you like with no need to login (max use is two at a time). You only need to login if you want to Take Recordings with you, or use the Sky Q app out of the home. It will then count as one of your four registered devices, like Sky Go and the Sky Sports app.

•Which tablets are supported? •The Sky Q App will work on: iPads (running iOS – 8.1 and above, but 8.3 and above is recommended) and Android tablets (7” screens and above, excluding Kindle running OS 4.1 and above). A mobile app will be available later in 2016. Other platforms are under consideration.

•I live in apartments, I share my dish with neighbours and have a single feed, can I get Sky Q? •Depending on the existing setup we may need to add new equipment to the communal system which would be compatible with both Sky+ or Sky Q. This would be arranged via the landlord or management company.

•I want the Sky Q Silver box with the Sky Q Bundle. As well as all the smart features, what does this include? •You can record 4 programmes and watch a 5th, a 2TB hard drive and the use of the Sky Q App on one tablet.

•I want to watch UHD when it is launched. Which option is best for me?
• •UHD programming will only be available for customers who subscribe to the Sky Q Silver box with the Sky Q Silver bundle.

•I want to watch programs on more than one TV, which package is best for me?
• •Both Sky Q Bundles includes viewing on your main Sky Q/Sky Q Silver box as well as at least one tablet via the Sky Q App. If you wish to include Sky Q Mini boxes, the best option is a Sky Q Silver box with the Sky Q Silver Bundle.

Soldato
So if 2 devices are using the Q app nobody can use Sky Go?

Hypothetically if you downloaded content onto a device on either app and turned wifi off, could you watch recorded content on 1 device while 2 other devices were watching live tv?

Q includes Sky Go Extra so four devices can be registered in total. Sky Go and Q apps both contribute to the same pool of four devices. It's not done on concurrent usage limits like Netflix, devices are registered in your pool of four and you can make one change per month.

Go app works on phones as well as tablets, Q currently tablet only.

Back
Top Bottom