Still a 1440p panel lottery?

Soldato
I think maybe these new panels need a lot of time to settle in. I have an Asus MG279Q and it's much better now than it was when I first bought it.

Soldato
Maybe I got lucky. No problems with my Dell 27" 1440 144hz Gsync..

Your Dell is a TN not an IPS.

I returned the Asus MG279Q because for £700 odd quid I expect an excellent monitor, not one with awful glow and bleed and with terrible panel uniformity. I would happily spend a grand on the 'perfect' monitor but cannot justify so much compromise at such a high price.

I'll wait.

Deleted member 2277

D

Deleted member 2277

I'm looking at getting a 1440p/IPS/VA/144Hz/Freesync screen and i'm seriously considering just driving upto OcUK to get it so that I can at least test it there and then and reject if the panel is crap.

I doubt very much that they would allow you to do that.

Associate
http://imgur.com/a/VvQVE

Here are two photos of my £248 Acer XB271HU, yes you read that price right ('box opened new' refurb) :D :D :D

Not only did I get lucky with the pricing but look at how beautiful the lack of IPS glow and bleed is.

You are one lucky guy - I'm still pondering if I should enter this lottery - I'm still using a Dell 2407WFP-HC - great IPS panel - it's very old now but still perfect, no glow or dead pixels even after all this time :)

I hope when I do finally take the plunge - I have an equally pleasant long term monitor experience.

Associate
You are one lucky guy - I'm still pondering if I should enter this lottery - I'm still using a Dell 2407WFP-HC - great IPS panel - it's very old now but still perfect, no glow or dead pixels even after all this time :)

I hope when I do finally take the plunge - I have an equally pleasant long term monitor experience.

I just got a Palit GTX 1080 for £500 as well, the luck doesn't seem to end. :p

Associate
Finding this thread unfortunately confirms what I'd started to suspect: there are now some monitors with (more or less) my ideal specs, but a lot of the panels have glow/bleed. :(

I'd like to go from a 24" 1080p TN direct to something that will last me for the next 10 years, but the 27" IPS 1440p Freesync monitors all have the blight, according to Amazon reviews. Some guys had a photos of 3 or 4 monitors with awful bleed.

The Acer XF270HU and Asus MG279Q both fit the bill, but QC seems to be poor. I'm currently doing a test run on an LG 29UM68 21:9 IPS, but that has glow on the LHS too.

Is it just all big IPS panels or do 1440 panels have some particular issue? Different process or manufacturer or something?

Do any brands have a better hit rate (particularly ASUS v Acer) or is there some manufacturing or technology step upcoming that could make it worth waiting vs. entering the lottery?

Soldato
I bought an Acer XB271HU (Predator 27" 1440P IPS GSync) for £256 delivered.

I found them refurbished sold 'as-new'.

My friend received one too and he has no dead pixels, no damage to the monitor and minimal glow/BLB.

I'll let you know how mine fares. :p

set up your trust can't email you need to know were :p

Associate
The only one 144Hz 1440p monitor I know has really good quality is Eizo Foris FS2735.
Its reflected in its price though.

The QA may be better in general but even THAT $1300 monitor is still a lottery. One person on OCN had to return an early adopter one because it had the same faults the XB271/PG279Q had, and he couldn't accept that type of bleed for $1300.

Here's proof from an old thread:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1591148/eizo-fs2735
Guy had two of them. Left one has outrageous bleed. That's inexcusable for $1300 USD.
Right one has uniformity issues....

Yes. Lottery all right...

I just hope my pixel perfect, 0 bleed TN doesn't die, as I scored big on that lottery, so I try to take good care of it and it's always in strobe mode (no idea if strobe mode+100 brightness degrades the WLED life compared to something like 20 brightness with strobe off or if it lasts longer strobing 24/7)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom