Words / phrases that annoy you

Associate
Company I work for is going through a 'Corporation' phase. If they think we've got this far without going forward in a sustainable manner and collaborating, i'm at a loss as to what senior management thinks the manufacturing plebs do do :confused:

Associate
Yup, pretty got all mine covered so far (especially "At the end of the day" and "To be honest"). I also hate "The vast majority". They never just say majority, it's always VAST.

Also, "Going forward". And I hate how newspapers overuse "Fury" and "Misery" in their headlines. People are never just upset/angry/annoyed.

Associate
I've heard someone at work say "We need to operationalise that.". I'm sure she just meant "We need to do that". I hate management speak!

Soldato
I've heard someone at work say "We need to operationalise that.". I'm sure she just meant "We need to do that". I hate management speak!

No, it means to make something a defined or routine operation. For example, one of my clients had several information requests and it was always some random person trying to compile the information from scratch in their own way in between their "actual" work. I pointed out that we needed to operationalize the task, i.e. formalise it and make it one particular person or team's responsibility. So we did - now time is allocated for it, there's a standard for what information should be returned and Sales have a specific form for requesting the information rather than just sending an email to whichever of my staff they have an email address for. We operationalized the task that we were already doing. Functionally different to "we need to do that."

Caporegime
Bird for woman, hate that.

"just put that through excel" for any data problem

Also as where I work there are only a couple of people who do stats...you often get management jumping on words to do with stats incorrectly. My recent favourite is machine learning where by people seem to going the physical hardware is learning on its own.
But it cash be fun. Trying to get silly words to stick. I have also heard "data mire" used to describe messy datasets.
I hate buzz words for the sake of buzz words.

Other generic terms such as telecon for a call, touch Base.. For meeting, and secret squirrel.. Yep.. For confidential!

Back
Top Bottom