Widows 10, I am losing the will to live.

Soldato
I thought that I would install Windows on a separate drive thereby keeping my current windows 7 install protected if it all went wrong.
first i installed windows 7 forgetting that of course in Microsoft's insistence that we all move to Windows 10 before the end of July it made updating Windows 7 after a fresh install an absolute nightmare. But I thought I had managed to get enough updates to enable me to upgrade to Windows 10 via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade but it was having none of it and I was getting Windows update error codes.
So I decided on a fresh install but that again threw up a meaningless error message (see image). Thought it was perhaps the HDD which is a 2.5 Sata I took from an unused portable caddy so swapped that for a perfectly adequate 1.5TB drive just taken from a dismantled PC. But still I get the error message.
Anyone any thoughts?
I might go back to reinstalling Windows 7 and trying to get all the updates on the installation before updating to Windows 7

D7UGnz3.jpg.png

Last edited:
I seem to be missing something here, but what image?

Have you tried installing Windows 10 with your Windows 7 key, assuming that you have already activated it (as the free offer ended at the end of July)?

Soldato
OP
Oops sorry about the lack of an image.

You can install without inputting a key and you can still install for free using the above link. But that did not work as I think that probably Windows 7 was not fully updated. But neither would a fresh install work either.

Soldato
did you try using rufus instead of stupid windows media creator tool.
WMCT failed to complete for me, giving no diagnostics of problem, eventually found that antivirus blocking autoruns on usb was the problem - after rufus gave me the diagnostic

*update* sorry yes, you create the usb key using rufus instead of WMCT

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ran Memtest just a short while ago for 12 hours and no problems reported. I have tried the DVD route with the same outcome.
What I am trying to do now is create the media on the PC that I was trying to use it on having created it on another PC. That sounds odd.
I disconnected all HDD's bar the empty one I am trying to install either Windows 7 or Windows 10. I have now reconnected the default HDD with my current OS on and am trying again to create both a USB and DVD ISO in the hope that one will work.

I may well try Memtest again tonight as this is a relatively new build and I was having issues after installing the GTX 1080.

Soldato
OP
Yep.

I think there might be an issue with the HDD I am trying to install to as I have just run Crystal Disk info and it has Current Pending Sector Count problem it seems. So will get a cheap 120Gb SSD and try again I also note that the Media Creation Tool does not like my Sandisk USB drives either as it does not see them.

Associate
If possible, I'd recommend trying an older version (i.e August 2015) of the media creation tool.

About 2 months ago, I downloaded the latest version multiple times, because I kept getting errors during the install, when using a USB stick.

I then tried the older 08/15 version and it installed without any problems.

Soldato
OP
Was getting this Error "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570." This happens when im trying to do a clean install on a blank ssd -

Found this thread from way back. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=177488 which did not work for me but what has worked was removing 3 sticks of RAM 912Gb) and Windows 7 installed without any issues. Does this mean that my RAM is likely to have a fault?

Soldato
Was getting this Error "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570." This happens when im trying to do a clean install on a blank ssd -

Found this thread from way back. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=177488 which did not work for me but what has worked was removing 3 sticks of RAM 912Gb) and Windows 7 installed without any issues. Does this mean that my RAM is likely to have a fault?

I saw a similar thing for Win7 with same code error, info and some possible fixes here, http://www.eassos.com/how-to/fix-error-code-0x80070570.php

Back
Top Bottom