• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMDMatt: important: how to disable automatic Crimson overclocking on bootup

Associate
AMDmatt, I don't have a way to send you a PM and this was in reference to the forum thread on the AMD forums about Crimson causing black screens when using third party programs to overclock (usually when overclocking the video memory, when such overclock requires a voltage increase).

The forum thread was here:
https://community.amd.com/thread/197510

On the forums someone mentioned this registry variable and command:
REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 /v PP_EscapeInput /f

The command is correct but the variable is from the old CCC drivers.
The correct one for Crimson is PP_CNEscapeInput

Deleting this manually before rebooting will cause Crimson to use pure original defaults on the next windows load. Of course any changes you make will be updated again so this has to be done via a script if you want it done whenever you reboot (which I don't know how to do). No idea how to make it apply if the overclock crashes as soon as you apply it though :)

As I mentioned in the AMD thread, what we need is a driver setting (EVEN if it's under power users, hidden, whatever) to make crimson either IGNORE this registry value (PP_CNEscapeInput), or just use pure defaults on every load (pretty much the same thing). Right now it's loading the last set GPU/Memory clocks (regardless if set through Afterburner, Trixx or Crimson) but NOT the voltages, which means memory clocks which require extra GPU voltage to work (e.g., like +25 VDDC at 1500 MHz GDDR5 on R9 290 series cards) will instantly black screen after windows boot as soon as any load forces the memory clocks from idle speed (150 MHz).

This should not be hard to implement. And this issue never happened in CCC--CCC always used pure driver defaults whenever you restarted the computer. (I think sometimes power limit was retained but not clocks).

Caporegime
AMDmatt, I don't have a way to send you a PM and this was in reference to the forum thread on the AMD forums about Crimson causing black screens when using third party programs to overclock (usually when overclocking the video memory, when such overclock requires a voltage increase).

The forum thread was here:
https://community.amd.com/thread/197510

On the forums someone mentioned this registry variable and command:
REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 /v PP_EscapeInput /f

The command is correct but the variable is from the old CCC drivers.
The correct one for Crimson is PP_CNEscapeInput

Deleting this manually before rebooting will cause Crimson to use pure original defaults on the next windows load. Of course any changes you make will be updated again so this has to be done via a script if you want it done whenever you reboot (which I don't know how to do). No idea how to make it apply if the overclock crashes as soon as you apply it though :)

As I mentioned in the AMD thread, what we need is a driver setting (EVEN if it's under power users, hidden, whatever) to make crimson either IGNORE this registry value (PP_CNEscapeInput), or just use pure defaults on every load (pretty much the same thing). Right now it's loading the last set GPU/Memory clocks (regardless if set through Afterburner, Trixx or Crimson) but NOT the voltages, which means memory clocks which require extra GPU voltage to work (e.g., like +25 VDDC at 1500 MHz GDDR5 on R9 290 series cards) will instantly black screen after windows boot as soon as any load forces the memory clocks from idle speed (150 MHz).

This should not be hard to implement. And this issue never happened in CCC--CCC always used pure driver defaults whenever you restarted the computer. (I think sometimes power limit was retained but not clocks).

Voltage control is not natively available without the use of unsupported third party tools on pre RX GPUs. This is not something we are going to add support for.

I would recommend using the Profiles option within MSI Afterburner and leaving Overdrive at default values if a black screen occurs because unsupported voltage control can be applied.

FkLQ8fw.jpg

Associate
OP
Hi matt, thank for getting back to me so fast. Figured everyone would be asleep overseas!

That's understood; AMD doesn't want people frying their cards (Since it's voltage that kills).

I was just listing the registry variable so that at least for now, people can reset to defaults after rebooting.

The command on the amd forums just used the CCC version of it, so I looked and found the correct variable :)

If you do NOT use third party programs to overclock, are global overdrive settings applied on windows startup, if you used Crimson Global Overdrive to set an unstable memory speed (e.g. 1500 MHz?)

Caporegime
Hi matt, thank for getting back to me so fast. Figured everyone would be asleep overseas!

That's understood; AMD doesn't want people frying their cards (Since it's voltage that kills).

I was just listing the registry variable so that at least for now, people can reset to defaults after rebooting.

The command on the amd forums just used the CCC version of it, so I looked and found the correct variable :)

If you do NOT use third party programs to overclock, are global overdrive settings applied on windows startup, if you used Crimson Global Overdrive to set an unstable memory speed (e.g. 1500 MHz?)

You have to physically unlock Overdrive, so have you tested this without unlocking it and agreeing to the disclaimer?

I am not sure, but perhaps it is possible with third party tools to override settings and apply unstable settings at boot.

If you use the profiles option within MSI Afterburner, this should not be an issue.

Associate
OP
Hi Matt,
I haven't tested deleting the registry variable (as I just found out today about that post), without agreeing to the disclaimer, as I did agree to it on 16.7.3, (something I usually never do) however I have tested (many times) never touching overdrive, (thus never unlocking it and never agreeing to that disclaimer) on freshly installed drivers. Any overclock set in a different program (Trixx, Afterburner, etc) is instantly recalled on driver reboot, even if you never touch overdrive.

So the drivers are storing any overridden/forced clock settings into that registry value "PP_CNEscapeInput" and recalling them on reboot, even if overdrive is not unlocked.

Associate
OP
*edit* Matt is there a way I can PM you directly or can I contact you via email? It's about something confidential regarding AMD/Ati (I can't discuss this here, but it's extremely important, and not related to the topic).

Soldato
This is such a frustrating problem and has really soured my experience of AMD since crimson drivers launched.

I have submitted a bug report with every new driver release and I don't expect AMD to add voltage control to Crimson just reset clocks on shutdown. It can't be that difficult, catalyst used to be fine.

I've had to get round the problem with a custom BIOS that has increased voltage and actually lower it with 3rd party software. This way it always boots with the higher voltage to avoid blackscreens

There is a quite a big thread over on guru3d to.

Soldato
This problem caused black screens with my FACTORY over clocked vapor x 290 and still does occasionally. I had to jump through hoops to get an updated bios from sapphire with increased voltage to stop it from happening.

Why is AMD being so stubborn over this? Sort it out or lose another customer, which given your current position you can't afford to do.

/rant

Caporegime
*edit* Matt is there a way I can PM you directly or can I contact you via email? It's about something confidential regarding AMD/Ati (I can't discuss this here, but it's extremely important, and not related to the topic).

If you click the Trust button you'll be able to send him a message via email

Back
Top Bottom