• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Caporegime
Any of you guys undervolted your 480s (esp 4GB) for less fan noise?

I'm not really interested in pushing up the clocks, but I'd love to know if these cards can be made whisper quiet at stock clocks.

Associate
Those who actually have their cards: How are your temps looking for various use cases with the card: e.g. idle, browsing/watching video, low impact and high impact gaming? Really need to decide whether i am going to go for one of these or go to the dark side and get a 1060.

For reference I have a radiator that looks much like a HIS 7950 currently.

Associate
Delivered today and plumbed in. Nice easy install. Plus I got Haribo! :D
open

Last edited:
Associate
Any of you guys undervolted your 480s (esp 4GB) for less fan noise?

I'm not really interested in pushing up the clocks, but I'd love to know if these cards can be made whisper quiet at stock clocks.

I undervolted my Nitro+ 8GB and got it down to 1125 at 1342Mhz. 1120 was unstable at 1342Mhz. i didn't keep it running at 1125 tho because Timespy score dropped around 100 points so i have the card running at 1130. it's not hugely quieter, but it'll keep 75C in the games i play at around 1600rpm to 1700rpm. the firestrike stress time does make it get hotter then that, and the fan hits the max i set of 2000rpm keeping it at 79C

Associate
Anyone else notice fans not working? Thought it sounded too quiet to be true...

I'm using cables that are rooted to PSU, 8PIN to 6 + 2 pin....

And when I restart/turn on PC, fans turn on fine, as soon as it's about to load into Windows log in screen, fans stop....

Any ideas?

Or am I right in thinking, fans don't start up until they hit a certain temp?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just done firestrike and got 10920.

This is on stock with a i5 running at 4.6ghz (Brought my OC down). http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14195489

First benchmark i have done. How is this looking? This is on the demo mind.

Also first time AMD, so looking around the settings. Is there anything i need to make sure is turned on etc?

Thanks for any pointers :)

Associate
I have to say this card puts into perspective how flawed the whole reviews process around cards is these days. Unless a card runs everything at 80fps and at Ultra settings it seems no one is happy to say that a card is suitable for a given resolution. The thought of testing cards at medium settings is anathema to many, it seems.

I've been using this at 1440p and can happily say it's a very capable card at that resolution for anyone who's not obsessed with having all settings turned up to a million.

I've hardly had to turn down the settings at all to get 60fps in everything I've thrown at it so far.

Associate
Anyone else notice fans not working? Thought it sounded too quiet to be true...

I'm using cables that are rooted to PSU, 8PIN to 6 + 2 pin....

And when I restart/turn on PC, fans turn on fine, as soon as it's about to load into Windows log in screen, fans stop....

Any ideas?

Or am I right in thinking, fans don't start up until they hit a certain temp?

For me they have a very long ramp up time, and they take forever to descrease RPM.

The fans turn off at idle.

I believe i remember hearing sapphire ed mention that they smoothed out the ramp up and down of the fans to make it less of an imidiate change in speed or something. I feel it's a bit too slow on the ramp up, it should be faster.

if the fans are not spinning up at all, i don't know. reinstalled drivers from scratch?

EDIT

just read your later post, nevermind XP

Associate
I've noticed while the fans take ages to drop in speed, if you hit "reset" in Wattman they change speed dramatically or just stop immediately.

Very odd. I wish Sapphire would hurry up with Trixx as Wattman is rubbish.

Associate
Card arrived Monday 8GB Nitro+ OC Just got around to fitting last night (looks :cool:)
ASIC quality 65.6 is this good or bad? I'm :confused:

I've had loads of random crashes/freezes and other problems I'll have to ask a
few questions out of this thread.

Oh! where's my Haribo :p

Soldato
Card arrived Monday 8GB Nitro+ OC Just got around to fitting last night (looks :cool:)
ASIC quality 65.6 is this good or bad? I'm :confused:

It means your card requires higher voltage to stay at it's rated speed. Which is bad if you want to push a high overclock as it gives you less room to work with.

Back
Top Bottom