Newbie needs advice connecting graphics card

Associate
Hi,

I've just bought an EVGA 1060 SC and realise that it needs power! :o
My previous 750 Ti didnt, so I didnt prepare for this.

I'm at a loss as my PC seems pretty sparse in terms of spare wires.
Hopefully these images give you an idea:

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4960#ov

The PSU is:
FSP Aurum AU-500FL Xilenser 500W FL Fanless Modular PSU, 80+ Gold
http://fsp-europe.com/aurum-xilenser-400w500w/

Should I buy a cable that could fit in the PSU and connect to that cable in the pic that came with the graphics card - 6 pin to molex?

Presumably its one of these I need?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cables-and-adapters/internal/power

Last edited:
Soldato
according to specs online for your PSU it came with the correct cable PCI-E 6+2 pin Connector, do you not have the spare cables, you can see in your last pic the socket on the PSU.

I'm not sure if they are specific per manufacturer, but I wouldn't try any others, you could use the molex splitter. or just get an entry level bronze 450 -500w psu

Associate
OP
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find the box it came in.

Is there any way I can buy a spare suitable cable - are they all specific to PSU?

Soldato
They will be specific for that PSU or at least brand.

Best option is to find the cable, but a molex to 6 pin pci-e adapter will do the job if you really can't find it. I think sometimes the graphics cards come with an adapter? Is there one in the box? Either way, try and find the cable for the psu first.

Associate
OP
Soldato
the psu came with a cable that fits into the VGA slot and the other end looks look the black part of the cable pic you posted, but its got an optional 2 pins to make it 8pin hence 6+2
I have never even heard of your brand of psu

Associate
That's not a 12 pin connector! It's two 6 pin connectors.

Yes. Two separate 6-pin cables can be plugged into that PSU.

It's an FSP PSU. Normally we hear about FSP as an OEM, but they do make their own line of PSUs. They're actually pretty decent units - just not readily available in the UK.

Soldato
Ah - ok thanks. So could I "simply" buy a 6 pin to 6 pin cable to get the video card powered?

You could use that cable that you linked above (The dual molex to pcie) but it is generally not the best way to do it. If I was you I would try and find your original cables that came with the psu.

Soldato
There was a thread a month or so ago where someone killed there GPU by using a modular cable that wasn't made for there PSU. So dont go putting any old cable into your PSU just because it fits, it will need to be the right one.

Associate
There was a thread a month or so ago where someone killed there GPU by using a modular cable that wasn't made for there PSU. So dont go putting any old cable into your PSU just because it fits, it will need to be the right one.

This. Although a normal 6-pin cable may fit, the PSU's internal connections may well be different and could cause damage to the system. By using the wrong cable, the guy in the other thread fried his motherboard.

Associate
OP
@lee32uk I cant use that as whilst one end fits in the video card fine, the other (molex?) ends arent long enough to go anywhere, and I cant see anything to plug them into anyway.

@new_boy It sounds like unless I cant find a verified PSU cable specifically for my PSU I'm going to need a whole new PSU to be safe? I guess I could email the manufacturer?

Associate
OP
@Quartz
Thanks very much for that advice.
I just called, and whilst they were very helpful they simply dont have any spare cables that I need to connect the PSU to the video card. Otherwise they said they would send me one.

Its looking like I would need a new PSU which would be a very expensive route.

Soldato
@lee32UK I cant use that as whilst one end fits in the video card fine, the other (molex?) ends arent long enough to go anywhere, and I cant see anything to plug them into anyway.

Your psu has a cable with molex connectors on it:

2a7sw1f.jpg

So in your opening post, picture no.5 is a molex(x2) to 6 pin pcie. Plug one of those molex connectors into the psu molex, and the 6 pin pcie end into the gpu.

Not an ideal way of doing it, but it should tide you over if you can't buy a new psu for the time being.

Soldato
@Quartz
Thanks very much for that advice.
I just called, and whilst they were very helpful they simply dont have any spare cables that I need to connect the PSU to the video card. Otherwise they said they would send me one.

Its looking like I would need a new PSU which would be a very expensive route.

you just spent £250 on a new GPU, another £40 isn't to bad.. I would do that rather than use a series of molex splitters

Soldato
Your psu has a cable with molex connectors on it:

2a7sw1f.jpg

So in your opening post, picture no.5 is a molex(x2) to 6 pin pcie. Plug one of those molex connectors into the psu molex, and the 6 pin pcie end into the gpu.

Not an ideal way of doing it, but it should tide you over if you can't buy a new psu for the time being.

something tells me the spares cables went to the dump sometime ago lol

Back
Top Bottom