The boat thread! Chat about boats whether you're an owner nor not :)

Caporegime
Does this exist anywhere? I dunno, wouldn't even know where it would go.

TL;DR: Few days at Isle of Wight. Want boat. Need info.

More:

Having spent a few fantastic days at the Isle of Wight and seeing loads of boats and whatnot having fun, I have decided that this is my new bee in my bonnet. I'm not going to rush in and buy anything but ideally I'd like something ready for next summer. Nothing too big or fancy, if I lose interest I don't want to have to sell an expensive boat that nobody will pay for.

What I want in a boat is something that I can take away for a weekend, a bit of outdoor space to have a beer in the sun or maybe cast a line out if I fancy it (but not a dedicated fishing boat, I'm no expert angler by a long shot) and a decent engine (not after massive horsepower but I want something a bit decent).

Now, being an absolute noob at boats, I know nothing and have questions:

How expensive is mooring, what do the prices depend on? Do I need any forms of licences to operate any boats? Do they have anything like an MOT or seaworthy checks? What is the best course of action to keep a boat and work on it in winter?

I'm sure a trailer would make life a lot easier but as I'm looking for something a bit bigger I don't know if it'd be logical to tow it everywhere.

Something like this would be nice but it's more of a day boat, I couldn't see myself sleeping on it and there's no roof for wet weather. Something like this looks ace and I could easily see myself cruising around on it, except that it'd need to upholstery inside.

Of course I could've found all this info myself but I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where boat fans can show off their stuff and have a chat, so let's go :D

Associate
As a fisherman with his own boat I could answer any of them questions but think you should take a good while longer to think about it.

There not something you really buy on a whim, that's how people drown or waste our coastguard and lifeboats time.

If you need to ask the very very basics on owning one its really not for you.

Sorry about crap replie but I see tones of idiots in boats without a clue putting everyone in danger.

Caporegime
OP
As a fisherman with his own boat I could answer any of them questions but think you should take a good while longer to think about it.

There not something you really buy on a whim, that's how people drown or waste our coastguard and lifeboats time.

Sorry about crap replie but I see tones of idiots in boats without a clue putting everyone in danger.

Yep, I see your point 100% and agree wholeheartedly.

Suffice to say this will absolutely not be bought on a whim and research will be done extensively before any moves are made, but it is certainly something I'm interested in and me being me, will make sure it's done correctly and with adequate training or not at all.

I started this thread more to discuss boats and boat ownership but thought I'd throw in some questions and food for thought to keep it going.

Great reply though, thanks :)

Caporegime
OP
There was. I think Spie created it just because he bought a boat. It's long gone now. We're all a load of landlubbers.

Actually, a yacht and training would be the first thing I'd buy if I won the lotto.

My end goal is to sail to Cape Town but that's a million years away, at this point I'm just happy to get in the water :)

Soldato

No one is a boat expert overnight. You just have to start small.

If I were you, I would start small, something like a speedboat you can launch for the day and get the swing of things. If you like it, then you can go down the route of getting something more substantial.

I've had great days out in an old speedboat that could either zip along the water, or just Bob along with a fishing line hanging off. A bit of water skiing and ringo mixed in and it's great fun. Easier to launch than you think.

Associate
Yep, I see your point 100% and agree wholeheartedly.

Suffice to say this will absolutely not be bought on a whim and research will be done extensively before any moves are made, but it is certainly something I'm interested in and me being me, will make sure it's done correctly and with adequate training or not at all.

I started this thread more to discuss boats and boat ownership but thought I'd throw in some questions and food for thought to keep it going.

Great reply though, thanks :)

Thats good to hear and good luck to you.

Think the threads a great idea, combining my two passions pcs and boats :D

Just remember boat = bring out another thousand.

Caporegime
OP
No one is a boat expert overnight. You just have to start small.

If I were you, I would start small, something like a speedboat you can launch for the day and get the swing of things. If you like it, then you can go down the route of getting something more substantial.

I've had great days out in an old speedboat that could either zip along the water, or just Bob along with a fishing line hanging off. A bit of water skiing and ringo mixed in and it's great fun. Easier to launch than you think.

Thats good to hear and good luck to you.

Think the threads a great idea, combining my two passions pcs and boats :D

Just remember boat = bring out another thousand.

To add to this, I've had loads of experience with boats when I was younger. Two of my uncles had boats (one was a fishing boat, the other a massive yacht) so I have a vague idea of safety and whatnot, but obviously I'd like to go in armed to the teeth with as much knowledge as I can get my hands on.

Soldato
11376553_1060912100587133_1156263208_n.jpg

My old man's yacht. I've been sailing since I was about 18months old.

Back
Top Bottom