Looking for monitor - budget £200 - for a 1060 card.

Associate
Hi,

I'm in the process of getting an EVGA 1060 SC video card, and am looking to replace my monitor (Currently DVI only Samsung 23" 2333SW).

- I need 1080p, but not desperate for higher
- I just use the single monitor as opposed to a dual setup.
- Anywhere bet ween 24" and 28" should be ok
- I mostly use it for web browsing / developing / video capture
- Some limited gaming, mostly Blizzard games and a bit of DOOM.
- Doesnt have to have built in speakers / usb
- Budget under £200 ideally.
- Would be good if the aesthetics we nice, as opposed to cheap plastic stand etc..

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been checking out options, I clearly need to lower expectations or raise my budget.

Struggling to even find a high refresh rate monitor at a decent price, so maybe a 60Hz 1080p it is.

FTL

FTL

Associate
At your budget it'll probably be a trade off between high refresh TN or 60Hz IPS, and in that case it comes down to what games you play and whether you feel the high refresh benefits you enough to make up for the difference between TN and IPS.

Associate
OP
Thanks - thats the conclusion I've come to, good to hear I'm on the right track.

I dont play an awful lot of games. Its mostly desktop work, web browser, development tools etc..
Games would be a bit of DOOM, World of Warcraft / Starcraft / Diablo type of things.

Do you think I'd benefit from IPS/PLS or I'd get better experience with a high refresh TN?
I could go to about £299 I think.

I think 24" would be fine for me to be honest.
Maybe something like this?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...g-led-zero-frame-monitor-black-mo-079-as.html

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
Agreed with smilertoo. Also keep an eye out on the clearance section. I've recently jumped on a £199 LG 29''. At this price bracket i think the stand is the thing that suffers most, the one on my monitor looks pretty awful and i'm now looking into VESA stands.

Associate
OP
I think I'm going to go for a 27" IPS 60Hz - just got to find a solid review for one now.

Ok - I think itll be this one:
Asus MX279H 27" IPS LED LCD HDMI Monitor

Hope its not rubbish!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll check some out.
I guess I was concerned the difference between a TN and IPS would be really noticeable.

If I were to go 27" is it important to support a higher res than 1080p?

Associate
Associate
Thanks, I'll check some out.
I guess I was concerned the difference between a TN and IPS would be really noticeable.

If I were to go 27" is it important to support a higher res than 1080p?

I prefer less motion blur for gaming so TN for me is preferred, never seen an IPS panel mind. However most say TN colour quality has got a lot better over the years.

Some ppl here will say go 1440p at 27". Depends on the user though. 1080p at 27" looks fine for me. Obviously it will look a bit blockier than 1440p.

You can get a 60Hz 1440p 27" screen for just over £200 so that is in your budget too.

If you play fast paced / competitive games, go for 24" 1080p 144Hz.
If you play slower paced cinematic games, go for 27" 1440p 60Hz.
(imo)

p.s. in my experience blizzard games don't have stellar 144Hz support. i never get a steady 144fps in them anyway. except overwatch, seems to work fine in that (prolly bcos its newer).

Associate
p.s. in my experience blizzard games don't have stellar 144Hz support. i never get a steady 144fps in them anyway. except overwatch, seems to work fine in that (prolly bcos its newer).

I agree games like WoW don't hit massively high FPS in raid, BGs, cities etc, but you don't need to be hitting 144fps to get the benefit. Even 90 compared to 60 makes a big difference to smoothness and fluidity :) The fast games are where 144hz really helps, it made an good improvement to my performance in Overwatch when I went from 60 to 144.

Back
Top Bottom