Powerbanks on aircraft

Caporegime
We have guests who are flying back to South Africa today, and we gave one of them a big powerbank. What are the odds of this not being allowed on the plane? It's a pretty hefty one at 18500mah.

Man of Honour
IIRC most airlines allow you to carry on your person a spare li-ion battery/pack (which I assume includes your regular power banks) upto somewhere between 27,000mah and 40,000mah (assuming 3.6-3.7v) depending on operator.

EDIT: Pretty much no operator allow you to have them in hold carried luggage - has to be carry on and some (though not sure how it would be enforced) state that they are supposed to be in your possession at all times not in hand luggage.

Last edited:
Soldato
I fly all the time. 32k is your max.

Between 20 to 32k you can take 2.

Below 20k zero restrictions.

So in short you might have an issue with the one you have.

*edit....caveat to this......I fly regularly with 4 airlines (Emirates, Qatar, British Airways and Singapore Airlines)which all have the same restrictions.....others might be different?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to post something similar to this question.

I've got one that's 8000mAh with 300A peak as it's also a car battery jump starter, would there likely be any issue taking this.

Cathay Pacifics website says power banks are ok in hand luggage but doesn't say anything about this particular kind.

Soldato
Never even thought about this, I fly pretty much every month both long and shorthaul with a couple of power banks (one is massive) and they have never been looked at. Will check I'm not over the limit next flight!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Fine. I've just this moment gone through airport security and had my bags checked because I'd kept my leatherman in my hold luggage :( power bank fine, mine is one of the Anker 20k hobbies.

Man of Honour
I was going to post something similar to this question.

I've got one that's 8000mAh with 300A peak as it's also a car battery jump starter, would there likely be any issue taking this.

Cathay Pacifics website says power banks are ok in hand luggage but doesn't say anything about this particular kind.

Is that 8000mAh at like 11.x volts or something? should be just under the limit but you might be limited to only 1 battery/bank.

Man of Honour
Fine. I've just this moment gone through airport security and had my bags checked because I'd kept my leatherman in my hold luggage :( power bank fine, mine is one of the Anker 20k hobbies.

I take it they were fine with the Leatherman in hold luggage just double checked your carry on due to it?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Absolutely fine in hold luggage. I take my leatherman everywhere but completely forgot as this time I didn't have hold luggage. Still, they confiscated it and sent it off to a depot where I've the option to get it back for a fee.

Soldato
Is that 8000mAh at like 11.x volts or something? should be just under the limit but you might be limited to only 1 battery/bank.

I honestly don't know, just scoured the Amazon page and can't find any voltage detail.

I only want to take this one when I go out to Indonesia, I can't see there ever being more than 24 hours when i'm away from a mains socket but would rather have it all the same.

Never even thought about this, I fly pretty much every month both long and shorthaul with a couple of power banks (one is massive) and they have never been looked at. Will check I'm not over the limit next flight!

Same! Flew earlier this year with Flybe. Took a powerbank, laptop, tablet, phone and camera plus spare batteries and never thought about it. All as hand language in a backpack :)

Caporegime
I honestly don't know, just scoured the Amazon page and can't find any voltage detail.

I only want to take this one when I go out to Indonesia, I can't see there ever being more than 24 hours when i'm away from a mains socket but would rather have it all the same.

when they ask you what it is say "power bank for my phone

"ok thats fine".

no ****er is checking the peak amperage etc.

Caporegime
speaking of powerbanks though,.

anker 20100 powerbank can be had for about 25 quid and its got panasonic 3,500mah 18650's in it that seems far cheaper than you can actually buy genuine panasonic 18650?

thinking for pojects it mgiht be cheaper to buy powerbanks and dismantle them :p

Man of Honour
Anker usually use A or AA grade Samsung or Panasonic cells so doubt they are anything else - does seem quite cheap though as even at wholesale they are still like £30-33 IIRC just for the 18650s.

Back
Top Bottom