Biker's Cafe Chatroom

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Is there a wheelie obsession? I only saw 3 bikers wheelie a bike in front of me, I do it on a deserted place where I don't bother anyone. :) Not easy to find a spot like that...

Its just learning another skill to control your bike, I know that feeling when the wheel comes up and feel less panicky when it happens. The better you know the bike and the more you can control it the better, right? :D

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
There're couple, the most effective clutch method (the clutch does wear out though!) or throttle method that my mate told me about.

I'll upload a video, you'll see how to do it. :)

Edit:

P.s. Don't laugh, its only been my 2nd practise. The other was 30min before someone came out and asked me politely to leave. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Go to wheelie school like the one at Dunsfold aerodrome where the Top Gear track is. Legal and (reasonably) safe.

Google 'stunt asylum', Nick who runs it is an excellent tutor and it doesn't matter if you've never pulled a wheelie before, by the end of the day you'll be pulling fatter mingers than you can on a night out in Maidstone :p

Soldato
Haha, I'll have to do one of them next year, £200 ain't too bad. I want to do an off road experience day too, that can wait until I replace the cb400 with a KTM 990 adventure though.

Soldato
There're couple, the most effective clutch method (the clutch does wear out though!) or throttle method that my mate told me about.

I'll upload a video, you'll see how to do it. :)

Edit:

P.s. Don't laugh, its only been my 2nd practise. The other was 30min before someone came out and asked me politely to leave. :p

I've tried revving it and pulling the bars up but **** all happened.

Soldato
Lol :p the KTM isn't any uglier than all the other adventure bikes really, none of them are exactly lookers :D I do like the Dakar/big trailie style of the 990 adventure.

Oh and to complete my perfect 3 bike garage I'd have an 848 EVO corse se or an 899 panigale. Enough beauty there to cancel out the ugly :p

ducati-corse-848-evo-test.jpg

Or maybe an RSV4....

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I've tried revving it and pulling the bars up but **** all happened.

If you do that, you'll crash.

You need to gather a bit of speed helps with balance whilst the front is up, than you twista bit of throttle, shut it you'll feel front suspension diving in and open the throttle half way. Just remember to get the front down before it hits the rev limiter or you'll go down hard. :p The bike will lift itself up, just hold on tight with your knees, sit comfortably and relax your arms.

Soldato
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake

dsb

dsb

Associate
I dont try pulling wheelies but when i do its a power one, i end up just laughing tomyself in my helmet, there not safe to do, but i think its good to be able to do them, they will help in bike control ect.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake
Cover the rear brake

Oh yeah and that, probably the most important part. :p

I dont try pulling wheelies but when i do its a power one, i end up just laughing tomyself in my helmet, there not safe to do, but i think its good to be able to do them, they will help in bike control ect.
Said no biker ever, bikes aren't exactly safe, are they? :p But you're right, it'll definitely help if an accidental wheelie appears. It won't be as scary, because I'll be use to that feeling of front being up in the air :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
never really done any wheelies, one little power one when joining the dual carrige way from a notoricous slip road (the road comes to dual carrige way at 90 degrees has the right angle turn then maybe 25ft of sliproad before theres the barriers etc.

as im merging a guy in the outside lane decides to move back to the inside lane going about twice as fast as me as he tries to under take somone.

just gave it full throttle and managed to not get ear ended.

front only cam up a few inches though.

not confident enough to try it because the bike is my olnly form of transport, plus now a blackbird is a bit heavy for practice :p

Associate
Wheelies are something I used to do on a knackered GP100 in a mates field or on my RD125LC on an access road to a mates house.

As I've gotten older/sensible/wiser and my bikes become bigger and more expensive the less inclined I've become to mess about, especially as I know of at least 2 guys that lost their lives doing wheelies.

I did the wheelie school in June as 'part' of my mates stag do. It was addictive to say the least, but I left there not tempted to put my refreshed skill to use on the public roads. The fear of dropping/totalling a £14k bike tends to stop you :p

What I found was that it's easy to get it up.. Fnar Fnar, but the balance point and bravery to pulse the throttle to hold the wheelie was the real skill. Took me back to being a young roustabout again though!

Oh they teach you the clutch up technique, not power wheelies, they deem them too uncontrollable.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Power wheelies are good to get use to that feeling of the front going up, I'll try the clutch soon. The thing is, there isn't much space there, some of those power wheelies could have been longer if there was more tarmac. :p

SV isn't the right bike to learn how to wheelie though, they don't like to be wheelied. :p

Edit:

Lol :p the KTM isn't any uglier than all the other adventure bikes really, none of them are exactly lookers :D

The S1000XR looks nice and or the MT-09 Tracer. KTM is ugly, especially the adventurer. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Just watched your vid. There isn't much difference between what you're doing and what they teach using the clutch.

Instead of closing the throttle then wacking it open and yanking on the bars, accelerate gently like you do, then wind the throttle too around 2/3-3/4 count 2 seconds and ping the clutch. You'll find it'll come up smoother and more controllable.

Oh and as mentioned earlier if you're going to keep doing it chuck and extra litre of oil in, top tip direct from a stunter that ;)

Back
Top Bottom