Help spec me a gaming PC £600 - Upgrade from Q6600

Associate
Hi All,

I am looking at new build PC to replace my 10 or so year old Q6600 build. It has been awhile since I built my last PC and I'm pretty much out of the game and would like help with the build.

If I can re-use any parts that would be an added bonus to splash out on something else.

Budget: £600 £1,000

What it will be used for:
  • Gaming
  • .net / frontend development
  • Photoshop / Illustrator editing

My current build:
  • Intel Q6600 OC'ed to 3.2Ghz
  • 8Gb DDR2 1666mhz
  • Asus P5KC Motherboard
  • OCZ 600w modx stream pro modular power supply
  • MSI Frorziii 7950 GFX
  • 1Tb Samsung spinpoint
  • Windows 10 Home OS
  • Viewsonic 1080p LED monitor
  • Mouse and keyboard
  • Antec 300 case

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback mickyflinn.

I've started looking at parts again and the budget has changed to £750. I'm thinking of going MicroATX so the PC is off the floor and on my desk.

This would be my first MicroATX build for gaming and need a little guidance on parts and if its a good shout to go MircoATX?

What I will be looking for is... case, memory, motherboard, GPU, processor and maybe a all in one water cooler.

I already have a 1TB hard drive, 250 SSD and the power supply I think will still be ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

Man of Honour
I have put 2 diffrent cases in for choice also gone for 16gb of 3000mhz ram if you deduct one of the cases comes to about £773 but you could get the antec h600 cooler instead which will save £20. another option is to get just 8 gb of ram.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £843.85
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
At that age, I would replace the PSU. If you want the thing off the floor be aware that MicroATX isn't that much smaller. Try looking at an ITX build.

Total: £704.93

I've assumed you won't be overclocking. Switch to a Z170 motherboard and a K model CPU if you will be. Also, the RAM is a placeholder as you will require low profile RAM but I couldn't spot such on OCUK's site.

Associate
OP
Ideally I will be looking to overclock at some point.

My first spec was over budget but I was looking at something on the lines of this or as close to this as possible.

My knowledge of motherboard and components is a little stale so i'm not sure if what I have below is even a good match.

Total: £884.90

Associate
OP
So I've done a some more research and looking at the cases for MicroAtx there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference in the case size.

I have look at additional parts and increase my budget to £1,000 (I can't edit the title of the post).

How does this build look?

I'm not sure which of the two graphics cards would be better the Gigabyte founders edition which matches the motherboard manufacturer or the Zotac card.

Total: £1,416.85

Soldato
Gigabyte have UK RMA, I believe.

You might be better advised to go for a Noctua DH air-cooler over the H100i as it's quieter and not far off in performance.

Soldato
Looks good to me. Before you start the build, copy the motherboard and video card driver CDs to root-level folders on the SSD on the old machine. If you don't have an optical drive on the old machine, download them all from Gigabyte's and Nvidia's websites - make sure you expand any zip files or self-extracting archives. Then, when you build the new PC, simply plug in the old SSD and HDD and set the BIOS to boot off the SSD. When Windows boots it will automatically detect the new hardware, and you will just need to point Windows at the appropriate folder. Windows will probably need re-authenticating and you may need to call Microsoft, but they're generally very good about motherboard replacement.

Associate
Do you know your windows key? Personally I would do a fresh install of windows.

You can use magic jelly bean key finder if you don't know your key. Use the media creation tool to download windows 10 and use a usb flash drive to do your install

Associate
OP
Yeah I have Windows 7 Home 64bit which I have used the free upgrade to Windows 10.

My thoughts are to install fresh on the SSD and port all my stuff from the other drives, photos, save game files etc... and then format the 1tb drive and fresh install steam, Visual studio etc...

Back
Top Bottom