Why is my Samsung 850 Evo 500GB underperforming?

Associate
OP
Each one can last roughly 1/10th of a second? Many of them can occur in a given second though.

Strangely I haven't been able to reproduce the noises since the first night I switched to AHCI. Hope I haven't caused any permanent damage.

Associate
An ssd has no moving parts, do you have a mechanical drive?.

Yes i do but its 100% the SSD, I think its the same sort of concept as coil whine on a gfx card, it only happens when a fast file transfer is happening.

If steam or battle.net start an update in the background I can tell before looking due to the noise.

Soldato
It has been known for the SSD to emit noises when in use.

i haven't come across it myself but people have posted on here stating that their SSD is making a noise when being used.

if this is the case and its a new SSD send it back, if you google the issue people have said it can be the cap\caps making a electrical noise which is what you can hear

Last edited:
Caporegime
One of the plusses of SSDs is supposed to be their silence, and I've not been able to hear any of the ones I've bought.

HDDs are a different story... I ended up suspendng mine in a 5.25" bad on a DIY caddy made of bungie cord :) Because most of the noise is vibration noise transferred though the case, via the screws and mounting points. The bungie cord really helps there, but the drive is still audible.

At some point I'll buy a 1TB SSD and my days of hearing the HDD will be gone... but not yet, they're still too pricey.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It has been known for the SSD to emit noises when in use.

i haven't come across it myself but people have posted on here stating that their SSD is making a noise when being used.

Indeed. All my SSDs have made noise.

M225
M4
MX100

Associate
OP
If its any help I have an Evo 850 and it makes a racket, when downloading at my max connection speed (50Mbs) it sounds like a tattoo needle gun.

It wasn't my SSD making the noise, it was my 2TB HDD. I find it strange that your SSD would make noise like others above me.

Associate
All NAND and RAM can emit noise when accessed. Hold your ear to an SSD or some RAM while it's being accessed and you'll most likely hear some noise, especially at higher speeds. If it's loud enough to penetrate your case, travel accross your room and be annoying you've been unlucky. If it's that bad I'd look to try and get it replaced but technically it's working as it should.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom