Audi owners in here!

Soldato
DSG with radar cruise and auto stop and go in traffic means I can focus on more important things whilst driving; like taking selfies or posting to Facebook :p

hehe ;)

Radar Cruise and DSG work so well together. Those who say the DSG is not engaging enough, just use the paddles :D

Soldato
I had a 2.0 TDI A6 DSG as a courtesy car when my A3 was in the garage. If it'd been a manual I'd have asked for something else. Couldn't imagine driving a car like that with a manual box.

Man of Honour
Semi auto boxes have moved on a lot in the last few years and I would see little point speccing a manual in most cars these days. I have a manual in my Polo GTi and though it is getting better with miles I think the car would be better with a DSG box, even though it surprisingly loses 70lbs of torque with a DSG box. I had a Q5 on loan when my R8 was with Audi last month and was very surprised to find it fitted with a manual as it just felt so out of place and was a wishy washy manual too so even worse. I can see no point in a motorway mile munching not having a DSG or with a big engine an auto.

However in a sports car I would still spec a manual in many situations, though not in the R8 oddly. The S-Tronic in mine is very good, in normal mode it is seamless and in sports mode sharp but not nasty like the old R-Tronic crappy thing. I actually don't like the gated shift in the R8 but if you drive something with a great gearbox like a GT3 or S2000 you can appreciate what the fuss is all about. One of the real pleasures for me when pushing on is heel/toe down changes. They take skill, most people are useless at it or have never taught themselves but get it right and it adds to the whole thing for me and no having it or having an auto blip though sounding nice, isn't as much fun.

Soldato
Have put a deposit down this week on a used Audi.

Current car is:

2011 A6 S-Line (C7) saloon 2.0 TDI manual with technology pack and 19" alloys

Car I have put a deposit on is:

2013 A6 Allroad Quattro 3.0 245PS V6 TDI S-Tronic
Optional extras include:
- Technology package plus
- Adaptive cruise
- Side and lane assist
- Pre-sense
- Full paint finish
- Sports seats and steering wheel
- Dual xenon headlights with high beam assist
- Full second set of alloys with winter tyres (freebie)

I also gain some extras such as DAB radio and air suspension that I don't have on my current A6. The only other option I'd have quite liked is the comfort pack (keyless entry, reversing camera and memory seats) but the chances of ever finding that in budget combined with all the other spec I wanted would be pretty much zero.

I came to the conclusion that I really like my A6 and nothing within budget has perked my interest enough, but what I do really miss is having a decent sized boot. The auto box, air suspension, adaptive cruise and lane assist will be great given I do 25k miles per year and the Quattro, plus winter tyres will be great over the winter months.

Looks like I am finally going to view and hopefully buy this on Thursday.

Has been delayed as they couldn't clear an error that the MMI was throwing so ended up having to replace the whole lot with £3k of parts from Germany.

Hopefully it will mean I have the latest MMI software so I can use both bluetooth and the built in sim at the same time. I will be even happier if it's the 2016 MMI with the faster processor, better graphics, google earth on the dash and Iphone support but that may be wishful thinking!

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate these stick on screens, they look utterly stupid.

Sounds like quite a motor Abyss! Personally don't like Audi's as they're dull... but for some reason I really like the looks of the A6 Allroad. :)

Soldato
Does anyone have any advice on what to look for on the air suspension by the way? I am going to take it to full height then lowest height then back up to check it operates smoothly, but beyond that I'm not sure what to check for.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate these stick on screens, they look utterly stupid.

Sounds like quite a motor Abyss! Personally don't like Audi's as they're dull... but for some reason I really like the looks of the A6 Allroad. :)

Cheers. I'm camping next weekend and can't wait to load up the boot and get it off the tarmac even if it will only be for a few hundred yards! It's taken me ages to find a car with a spec I am happy with.

Soldato
Hello

I've had an engine mount solenoid fault (N144) in my Audi S4 B8 MY10. I have no idea what this means and the impact it might have and whether it needs to a) be fixed and b) if it does, how much and what's involved. I've provided a link to a photograph of the VAGCOM fault for it below.

https://goo.gl/photos/jim5ruaAK48sYtzx8

The car has always had what can be described as a rough idle on start but I wonder if this is due to the mount failing? What does the solenoid do? Does it regulate the hydraulic engine mount and the ability for the engine to be damped? Can you simply change the solenoid if the actual mount is ok, or is it a complete mount swap over?

Again, if we don't do it and live with the slight vibration (like an cylinder is mis-firing) at start up will it cause issues down the track?

Any thoughts are appreciated as our mechanic hasn't had to deal with this before (there are not that many S4s that are not maintained by Audi here in Auckland).

Cheers,

Chris

Soldato
Probably vaccuum switchable engine mounts, if the solenoid goes it cant direct vacuum to switch the mount to its softer mode. Its just a switch to let air through the pipe routed to the engine mounts.

I'd expect a solenoid failure once resolved to fix the problem.

McB

McB

Associate
Looks like I am finally going to view and hopefully buy this on Thursday.

Has been delayed as they couldn't clear an error that the MMI was throwing so ended up having to replace the whole lot with £3k of parts from Germany.

Hopefully it will mean I have the latest MMI software so I can use both bluetooth and the built in sim at the same time. I will be even happier if it's the 2016 MMI with the faster processor, better graphics, google earth on the dash and Iphone support but that may be wishful thinking!

Just double check the sim slot is there to make sure - I got caught out by this on my 2013 Bi-TDI as there was a change in spec for a few months so Tech Pack Plus did not include the online traffic / data sim but had the auto park and other bits instead. I am missing google maps but you can mod it with a 3G dongle I read but dont get the online traffic. Out of interest, whats it priced up at?

Soldato
Just double check the sim slot is there to make sure - I got caught out by this on my 2013 Bi-TDI as there was a change in spec for a few months so Tech Pack Plus did not include the online traffic / data sim but had the auto park and other bits instead. I am missing google maps but you can mod it with a 3G dongle I read but dont get the online traffic. Out of interest, whats it priced up at?

Thanks. Priced at £23,995.

Soldato
Probably vaccuum switchable engine mounts, if the solenoid goes it cant direct vacuum to switch the mount to its softer mode. Its just a switch to let air through the pipe routed to the engine mounts.

I'd expect a solenoid failure once resolved to fix the problem.

Does anybody know if you can replace or fix the solenoid without replacing the mount? Audi NZ want $2000 NZD to replace both mounts and all the associated work and I wonder whether I can do it cheaper by either buying the parts OR just replacing the bits that don't work in the mount?

First thing will be checking the wiring to make sure it is still sending signals to and from the control unit as that would be the cheapest fix!

Soldato
Well, the cut off for part number change is 02/11/2009, so I'd imagine it's this part number:

8J2 837 016 A

Right, so very much appreciated. New part on the way for $180NZD; much MUCH cheaper than getting here... Does help that the car is from the UK originally!

Autoelectrician/diagnostic man will fit this with me and then we'll look at the engine mount cabling to see if that is ok otherwise a big bill as I also need new brakes/pads and also new tyres :(

Soldato
I am still thinking about getting a MK2 TT. I was initially considering a V6 S Tronic but I am not sure if the TTS S Tronic is a better overall package? I really like the V6 engine but the TTS is more efficient, has lower tax and can be easily remapped to 300+ BHP. I assume it also has better standard spec (does it have mag ride as standard)?

The V6 is a lot cheaper to buy though. What do you guys think?

Associate
If it was my money then TTS all day for tunability but I would be in the camp that would want to map it and go 2+ :)

Is S-Tronic something you are looking for, I dont know much about the TTs to be honest but I would guess all the TTS' come with S-Tronic?

Ps well done for not wanting to go diesel, always pains me to see a nice looking car then find its a tractor :(

Soldato
Thanks for reply guys. I do like the idea of getting more out of the 2.0 engine, where as the V6 will need big money spending to get more power, I assume the TTS might handle a bit better too as it will be less nose heavy. As Jokester say's S Tronic is an option on the TTS but it is something I would want.

I have never owned a diesel and do not want to start now! ;)

Is magride reliable? Also does anyone know if the TTS engine is chain or belt driven?

Back
Top Bottom