**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Would it be OK to get XL rated tyres for the stiffer sidewall, in an attempt to reduce body roll from the tyres without having to change my wheels, or is that a stupid idea?

It's going to make no difference. This is not what XL tyres are about.

Man of Honour
I've often ended up swapping between XL and non XL for various reasons (availability normally) and never noticed any difference in ride or handling.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Do you increase tyre pressures for the XL?

For some reason, my door sill lists the tyre dimensions I have for non-XL and for M+S, which is a bit annoying :p

Soldato
Looking at changing tyres on the wifes Qashqai ready for the winter, I have been recommended the following:

Michelin Cross Climate SUV XL

Anyone any experience in these?

Soldato
Also at what level is KUMHO tyres? Same as Linglongs?

e: another question...is there any online calculators to see if you can put different size tyres on without affecting rolling distance?

Current ones are 215/55/18, seem only a handful of tyre options.

Last edited:
Don
Also at what level is KUMHO tyres? Same as Linglongs?

Kumho are decent enough - not necessarily a "top tier" manufacturer, but certainly a decent midrange option - much better than linglongs etc.

e: another question...is there any online calculators to see if you can put different size tyres on without affecting rolling distance?

Current ones are 215/55/18, seem only a handful of tyre options.

What car is this for (and do you need XL rated?) - Blackcircles is coming up with SUV type tyres.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.

Car is a 62 plate 1.5dci Qashqai.

A friend is quoting me on the Michelin, however a seller on eBay is selling 4 of the KUMHO winter tyres for £359.

Wife is in the community and covering North Yorkshire so will be travelling up into the Dales, Hawes, Reeth and beyond so need some decent tyres for over the winter.

Soldato
Whats with the random pricing for thres these days?

Swapped out the 19's to 17's for a road trip, low and behold i have a nail embedded through one, so theres my excuse to get rid of the runflats

But how come michelin pricing follows this logic:

225/45/r19 y- £226

255/35/r19 y- £136

How the hell is the smaller tyre more expensive!?

Don
Thanks for the replies.

Car is a 62 plate 1.5dci Qashqai.

A friend is quoting me on the Michelin, however a seller on eBay is selling 4 of the KUMHO winter tyres for £359.

Wife is in the community and covering North Yorkshire so will be travelling up into the Dales, Hawes, Reeth and beyond so need some decent tyres for over the winter.

I assume it's an NTEC or Tekna spec with those size wheels?

I assume you mean http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-WINTER...ashqai&hash=item210c376fda:g:OSUAAOSwxp9W89FF

In which case, yes switching to 17" (or there are even OEM 16" wheels) is a good idea, as there is more choice (and therefore consequently also cheaper).

You can then run the smaller wheels/winter tyres for 3-4 months of the year, and buy some premium "summer" tyres for the 18" e.g. Michelin Premacy 3's are probably the best choice in that size @ £133/each.

Whats with the random pricing for thres these days?

How the hell is the smaller tyre more expensive!?

Less common size I imagine.

Soldato
I am after 4 new tyres and when searching it seems most either have 'BMW Fitment', 'Audi Fitment' or 'Merc Fitment'. Does this just mean they are for those cars specifically or that it's just an OEM fitment?

Back
Top Bottom