• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 1070?

Soldato
I made a similar thread called which 1060 but after some thought, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go for the 1070 just for longevity.

The question is then, which 1070 makes the most sense price wise?

Soldato
The two biggest differences in 1070s are: price & warranty/cs. That's why I recommend https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...s-graphics-card-zt-p10700a-10p-gx-100-zt.html

Their CS is acceptable (not EVGA-high quality but not bad either) but they have 5 years warranty from the get-go.

Performance-wise, all FE cards are the same, and compared to custom coolers they're a bit noisier, though they tend to OC better. All in all, those differences are minor that's why I focus on price & cs.

Associate
Depends what you want from it I guess?! If price is your main concern then I would go for the Palit Dual card:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-03n-pl.html

I have the 1060 version of this and the cooler is nice and quiet and does a good job. I also have the MSI Gaming X 1070 and its great, but probably not worth the extra £55!

From an overclocking point of view they all perform similarly and should boost to 2000-2100 depending on your luck in the silicon lottery.

If you want the coolest card then I believe the Zotac Extreme card is the one to go for, but it will make such a minuscule difference to frame rates again I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Another consideration would be warranty length which Zotac wins with 5 years, or after sales support if something goes wrong where EVGA would be the best pick.

Associate
The two biggest differences in 1070s are: price & warranty/cs. That's why I recommend https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...s-graphics-card-zt-p10700a-10p-gx-100-zt.html

Their CS is acceptable (not EVGA-high quality but not bad either) but they have 5 years warranty from the get-go.

Performance-wise, all FE cards are the same, and compared to custom coolers they're a bit noisier, though they tend to OC better. All in all, those differences are minor that's why I focus on price & cs.

I had an EVGA Founders card prior to the Gaming X, it was much louder and didn't overclock as well. Had to send it back as it needed 70% fan speed to maintain 1950mhz. It would do over 2000 on 100% but far too loud. My Gaming X sits at 2050mhz on 50% fan speed which I can't hear over quiet Noctua case fans :) It will hit 2126mhz if I put the fans at 100% which is still quieter than the Founders at 70%!

Soldato
OP
Seems some have over 1800 on the boost clock with over 1600 on the core clock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-03f-pl.html

Compared to the 1500 core and 1600 boost clock on some of the others. Would there be a huge difference in performance between the two?

Edit: I don't want to spend £400 on a card when I could get a massive difference in I guess, sound / performance for an extra few notes. I'd say that loudness is actually quite important given the location of my rig.

Edit 2: Warranty is also quite a big difference on some of them to, just figuring there is a bit of a sweet spot given there are so many different ones.

Edit 3: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-304-ea.html - Looking at this, it has a nice warranty period (3 years), its EVGA (good according to many posts!) and its near enough 1600/1800 as standard. I just don't know anything about how loud it is or if its overclockable. I like that the Zotac has 5 years but I think by then, I'll probably have upgraded again so 3 years is likely suitable.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems some have over 1800 on the boost clock with over 1600 on the core clock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-03f-pl.html

Compared to the 1500 core and 1600 boost clock on some of the others. Would there be a huge difference in performance between the two?

GPU Boost 3.0 will see you achieving higher clocks than advertised so long as the temps are low and power is available so the advertised clocks dont mean a lot. If you have no interest in overclocking though they will probably perform slightly better.

The Jetstream, Gamerock and Phoenix coolers are all very similar under the colourful shrouds and perform very well, but are wide and thick (2.5 slot) so worth checking you have the space. They are one of the best performers and good value for money, but still I'm not sure if they are worth the extra £25+. They will be slightly cooler and quieter than the Palit Dual and looks are subjective so its up to you :)

Associate
Edit 3: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-304-ea.html - Looking at this, it has a nice warranty period (3 years), its EVGA (good according to many posts!) and its near enough 1600/1800 as standard. I just don't know anything about how loud it is or if its overclockable. I like that the Zotac has 5 years but I think by then, I'll probably have upgraded again so 3 years is likely suitable.

EVGA are a good choice from the warranty point of view. Raw performance is more down to silicon lottery. The Super Jetstream is a larger more efficient cooler and will be quieter with its larger fans. The EVGA SC is similar size to the Palit Dual so will be around the same noise level, still quiet though IMO going off my 1060 which sits on the desk next to me :)

Soldato
How are MSI with their customer serivce/warrently? Looking at the 1070 Gaming X
My only experience with them was fantastic. Returned a card to their Netherlands base directly (as the original retailer had gone out of business) and they had a replacement card back to me in about a week. A GTX 570 in place of the GTX 460 I sent them at that. Somebody else on here had a similar turnaround time recently going through OcUK.

Update time.

Had an email today saying i've got a new 980ti being delivered tomorrow. Just over a week since OcuK recieved my card and sent it off to MSI so thats not a bad turn around time at all! I'm actually a very surprised :D
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29891452

Soldato
I thought about a Zotac Extreme card, but at 325mm it is way too long, I would have to remove my top drive bay. The weight of it can cause them to sag also. The company is based in HK and whilst 5 years is a good warranty the time delays etc in dealing with that just helped to forget that one.

I ended up with a Gigabyte Gaming G1 1070....

... they have a UK based returns and having dealt with them in the past I have found them truly excellent and very quick.

The card itself is 285mm long and very light. It runs nice and quiet and works fine for my needs.

I did think about MSI and I remember when I first bought my GTX970 with the MSI fan issues and that bwas a problem, although (IIRC) the BIOS got updated for that card. But the Gigabyte and their UK based returns just clinched it for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Palit jetstream is a winner on cooling and noise, as well as price :) If a few mhz matter to you then splash out, if you can live with hitting 2000mhz then there we go!

Soldato
Ok So I am a very indecisive person, I like to get the best thing I can for my cash and as far as I have gathered I am at no conclusion.

Bit of a point to look at but not essential my mobo is msi gaming 5 all red with noctua nh d15 (i know its not the best looking one but I would like to at least keep with top PC being vomit brown and the bottom bit red/black)

order of priorities:
1/Warranty (the more the marrier)and good RMA service
2/ Ideally no coil whine as I am at 1080p I like to play on high framerates (Rocking a 1000W EVGA G2 PSU) (csgo and some older titles) above 144fps (as my benq monitor is 144hz)
3/Quiet-ish ? currently im rocking gainward phantom 570 gtx that runs at 76 degrees in this hot weather and sound likes a small angle grinder.
4/At least half decent to look at or remotely to close to my black/red theme or rgb so hard that i can make it vomit brown as the noctua fans.

we are talking about 1070s here so what do we have:
Zotac amp extreme : soo massive it sags in your case causing some possible issues to your mobo in a long run, you have to use a string or lego to prop it, YELLOW backplate like what ? Warranty is 5 years but you have to send the card to Hong Kong and because its so massive and heavy its at least 5 million pounds for postage. Also some reddit post says something with fans spinning and revving up and so on.

evga ftw : seems to have an issue with coil whine as seen on evga forums and reddit, its silver but if i can make the led light like the vomit brown id be ok with that. Also there was a guy who was saying he had horrible experience with the card that was running 90 degrees all the time and he opened it and checked the paste and evga refused the rma...it might have been isolated occurrence but it was pretty strong rant...

Msi g X, This is the card I was looking for right before the micron/samsung deal break up, yes the micron might be OK but I am not willing to pay for a card that I know its inferior to a same card sitting on a shelf next to it just because of the lols...we are not talking silicon lottery here... Other than that I can't fault it its black/red would fit my build well 3y warranty and seem to be OK with the customer service.

Gigabyte G1 : quite a few coil whine articles around reddit, ORANGE STRIPS???why ?? Why does it have only one power 8 pin ?the benefits is the GB UK RMA centre that I have used before and its quite good

Gainward 2y warranty and weird colour schemes
Palit 2y warranty and not heard about them
Inno3D never heard of them but seem the RMA is in Hong Kong too ?
Asus just pushing my budget a bit. but not heard about their RMA and customer service or coil whine

I know this might sound like a rant I am just genuinely indecisive which one to get ?:confused:

Soldato
evga ftw : seems to have an issue with coil whine as seen on evga forums and reddit, its silver but if i can make the led light like the vomit brown id be ok with that. Also there was a guy who was saying he had horrible experience with the card that was running 90 degrees all the time and he opened it and checked the paste and evga refused the rma...it might have been isolated occurrence but it was pretty strong rant...
I had a FTW and didn't experience any coil whine. Frankly, it's an issue that can affect any card though. There's absolutely no model you can buy and guarantee that you won't get any coil whine, because it's usually the result of a combination of factors and hardware.

I also don't believe the tale about EVGA rejecting an RMA for an obviously faulty card for a second. They have the best customer service in the industry and always bend over backwards to help people. There simply must be a lot more to that story.

Back
Top Bottom