Anyone here doing teacher training?

Associate
Lol. Our year made 2 students break down in tears and leave and a permanent have a nervous breakdown - probably not our finest achievement as kids!

The last three student teachers I've had in the department have been in tears at some point - it's pretty common! :D

Soldato
I've seen a couple of teachers cry, but only female staff. It's difficult, but I wouldn't say it's anything that would make me want to cry or get emotional over.

This is why I work at a grammar school. There's a level of basic respect towards staff that you just don't get in normal schools (at least not in the ones I've worked in).

V F

V F

Soldato
The last three student teachers I've had in the department have been in tears at some point - it's pretty common! :D

I've seen a couple of teachers cry, but only female staff. It's difficult, but I wouldn't say it's anything that would make me want to cry or get emotional over.

This is why I work at a grammar school. There's a level of basic respect towards staff that you just don't get in normal schools (at least not in the ones I've worked in).

What the heck... Teachers cry in schools?

Soldato
What the heck... Teachers cry in schools?
Very often its a high stress job with bad pay and little free time. A lot of it depends on the school but there are not many schools left in this county and the handful of schools we have are being offloaded from the government to private company's over the next few years. Pretty much anyone going into teacher training today wont be working in a school but an academy instead.

I started my teacher training this week.

9 months of hell coming up!

Anyone else here doing teacher training? If so where?

Good luck :)

I honestly wouldn't have the patience with (some of) the kids and probably more so the attitude of the parents. My brother used to teach and when you hear about how some of the parents are I think I would probably be arrested for verbal abuse :o

On the bright side if you are good at it there will be a generation of kids that will remember you as I know I sill remember the good teachers even now :)

Associate
Good luck to you. I did my Physics PGCE 2011-2012 and have been teaching since. NQT is harder than the PCGE, but it does get easier.

Feel free to trust me with any questions about the job.

V F

V F

Soldato
Very often its a high stress job with bad pay and little free time. A lot of it depends on the school but there are not many schools left in this county and the handful of schools we have are being offloaded from the government to private company's over the next few years. Pretty much anyone going into teacher training today wont be working in a school but an academy instead.

Good luck :)

I honestly wouldn't have the patience with (some of) the kids and probably more so the attitude of the parents. My brother used to teach and when you hear about how some of the parents are I think I would probably be arrested for verbal abuse :o

On the bright side if you are good at it there will be a generation of kids that will remember you as I know I sill remember the good teachers even now :)

Teaching must be hell today versus 20 years ago. Considering there was hardly any political correctness, discrimination or such things back then. I always remember teachers being real strict hard asses with very little tolerance and you very rarely saw or heard parents coming up because of disputes.

Soldato
OP
Well, if I find I don't like it I will simple finish the training and the NQT year and do something else. That way I can always come back to it later in life.

But I have a genuine reason to want to teach, and I hope I have the balls to push through it all

Soldato
I'm sure you must feel proud about that. ...:rolleyes:

I won't be taking any crap, that's for sure lol. I'm working on behaviour manipulation to use in the class room. Hopefully it will work. If not I will go cry in the office with the rest of the teachers.

i did say it wasn't our finest achievement as kids!

I won't be taking any crap, that's for sure lol.

funny, the permanent teacher who had the breakdown was famous for 'not taking crap' ;)

hope it goes well for you and you don't end up with a class full of knobs like we were!

Soldato
Teaching is tough, and certainly not something i would have the patience for, how are you with confrontation these days Diagro ? i imagine thats something you need to be able to deal with quite often.

Soldato
I was considering teaching for a career path after I've finished my degree but reading up in this thread makes me feel like I should probably head for some other paths instead :D :o

Soldato
Remember those who fail--- TEACH.
That was true in the past but hasn't been true for years. Teachers are under constant inspections now. If you are a poor teacher your pay gets frozen and if you stay poor you soon find your self out of a job. Plus as a school there is no such grade as standard or average anymore your schools is either good, excellent or in trouble. God help you if you becomes standard or average.

Soldato
OP
Teaching is tough, and certainly not something i would have the patience for, how are you with confrontation these days Diagro ? i imagine thats something you need to be able to deal with quite often.

I'm still terrible.
But I will learn to deal with my outward showing of emotions. Ha

Associate
Well, if I find I don't like it I will simple finish the training and the NQT year and do something else. That way I can always come back to it later in life.

Make sure you do this. There is a time limit of completing your probation year. My mate's girlfriend finished her PGCE but never got a job, as she fell pregnant with 2 kids and has one year left to find a full time position or will have to do her PGCE all over again. Chances are this will happen which he is not happy with.

I've just finished my NQT year and I'm going to apply for a teaching post abroad teaching IGCSE in Asia/SA. Great thing about having a PGCE is if you get disillusioned with the UK teaching system (chances are you will) it's a great profession to take abroad, travel and earn a good buck. (far greater wages than the TEFL/CELTA positions).

Back
Top Bottom