Anyone done Amsterdam recently ?

Caporegime
Mostly looking for people that public transported around the city.
Is travel to and from Schiphol airport within the "travelcard zone" AKA Heathrow airport or is it more Gatwicky....

Going in November, possible crap weather, so might be good to know about the public transport even though its considered a walky/bikey city.

Anything essential to do thats not in the mainstream guides/museum list.

Peace out 420

lyrFaWI.gif

Soldato
I went in May and am going again in October :p

I buy a travelcard from the machine for the duration of my stay - It's not too expensive, and basically allows you to use any trains and buses in the Dam.

Soldato
More Gatwicky.

Been 3 times this year, got a return ticket from Schipol to Amsterdam Centraal for about 12 euro i think it was.

Then we got a tram from Centraal to our airbnb place about 15 minute tram ride. When you buy a tram ticket it's about 2 euro but good for unlimited use for about an hour or so.

To be honest, even from Centraal you can walk most places, it's a very walky city.

Grab a bike for about 10 euro the day, me and mrs cycled from Amsterdam to Amsterdam Bos forest, really lovely mate.

Soldato
Amsterdam is awesome.

As above, the train ride from the Airport is a one off and isn't like a travelcard. It doesn't take long though, if I remember rightly something like 25 minutes.

There's plenty of trams you can jump on, I normally go there for a conference so you get free tram travel as part of it but I don't think it is very expensive. Alternatively just get a bike or walk.

Soldato
More Gatwicky, best way to get to the center is by train.

the distance is probably less than Heathrow though, but Schiphol is by no means ''in the city''.

From the center its all walkable. I have to be there for the odd job in pubs and clubs, usually park my car near the town hall in the garage/car park, from there I walk to all the places.

No experience with the metro's/trams though. Probably better off cycling, but supposedly it's quite decent in A'dam. I never found the need, anywhere you need to go is a 20 min walk at most from my experience.

Utrecht is a nice place too if you like A'dam, similar center, without the smell of weed everywhere, without the loads of tourists, and lots of nice student ladies :). Think it's like 20-25 mins by train indeed. Amsterdam is tourist+hipster+yuppie heaven, Utrecht is more of a student city.

Last edited:
Soldato
cheap , Amsterdam ? lolwut

Amsterdam can be cheap or expensive.

Touristy areas are ****.
Get in a ''local'' area and you get stuff twice as cheap.

Cheap dinner? Get Turkish pizza's with kebab for 2€ a piece. And much cheaper pubs eg ~2€ for a beer instead of 3-4... Just get to the ''worker'' neighborhoods and prices change drastically. Canal area has inflated prices, and imho is just an open smelly sewer. I don't like A'dam btw, it's completely non representative of actual Holland.

The whole inner city area of A'dam is inflated as hell price wise, but is only a small part of A'dam. More tourists than Dutch on the streets there during any normal weekday (ok perhaps not, but it's not Holland imo).
Walk west for 15 minutes into Jordaan.
Indeed, Bos and Lommer and Slotermeer are cheap as hell, it's an immigrant area. Dinner/beer for easily half the price of the centre. ''Kolenkitbuurt'' is actually known as one of the 20 worst areas in whole NL. But that means cheaper prices :). And it's by no means dangerous or anything, I'm a small lad and feel safe there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick Q: Mobile data in Dam, what's the best way to do it?

Does Three Feel At Home work there? Can't quite work out if it's already in place? Anybody have past experience of this? Thanks!

Man of Honour
As above, get off the plane, go downstairs in the airport, there are train ticket machines - I think the logo is yellow with a blue symbol or letter on it. Buy a ticket to the city and go down the escalator to the station, get off at the end of the line and you can walk everything from there. It's a really small city, less than a million inhabitants. The airport it's a fair way out, I think a taxi would set you back something like 70 Euro?

Don
I was in the city last weekend actually :) As Lopez said, transport from the airport to the city is very easy and costs ~ 5euro each. The wife and I didn't use public transport at all while we were in the city, we either walked or hired some bicycles.

Recommendations for November are going to vary massively from our weekend though, we had 30c heat so spent most of the time outdoors :D

Back
Top Bottom