• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 1070?

Associate
I bought the gaming x based off spending time in the owners thread. I knew the card had very good build quality and I had a msi 390 before that and loved it.

The zotac was a close second but the weight put me off. I had a zotac 580 and the customer services were great.

The evga sc is a reference card underneath with at lot less power phases than the competition.

And the gigabyte build quality was questionable to me since it has a plastic shroud. The 780 ghz edition card I had before was metal so it felt like a step back imo. It is light in weight though but a few cases of coil noise has been reported.

I counted the cards in the owners thread and the zotac and msi were at the top. I have a red and black scheme going so I opted for the gaming x and I am glad I did.

It has micron memory so I put it through it's paces to make sure that it would perform adequately.

This card is near silent and very cool indeed. I am very happy with it.

Here is a video on fan noise, Thanks to Dim Jones for uploading it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awB3VivRPAo

Soldato
I have to say MSI would be my choice all along and the video shows its dead quiet, just the micron thing is putting me off :(

Associate
I know they're only 2 year warranties, but the Gainward/Palit cards are real beasts. Because of the size of their heatsinks, they can run really quiet and cool compared to the rest (if that matters to you)

Associate
This card is near silent and very cool indeed. I am very happy with it.

Here is a video on fan noise, Thanks to Dim Jones for uploading it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awB3VivRPAo

Gotta keep in mind that those tests are done on an open bench, so whilst the dbA rating will be higher than you'd likely have in your case at those temps...the temps themselves would be higher too, which I guess may cancel out any lower noise as the fans would probably run a little higher to compensate lol.

All I can say is that the G1 gaming fails badly on noise, it's so much louder than the rest, and as I've just mentioned above, the Jetstream's giant heatsink makes it a real winner if noise and temps are a concern (which is basically my number one priority these days).

I think the reason for the Jetstream being better than the Gamerock despite the same heatsink and fan combo is that each of the fans spin in opposite directions, apparently that helps with cross airflow or some other technical blab.

Associate
The highest temps I have seen so far on my card is 70c while benching and 68c while gaming. That's in a corsair 760t case and with high ambient temps during the hot days we have been having.

Associate
Do not get the founders cooler, it cannot maintain overclocks without stupidly high fan speed, or it'll downclock due to temperature.

The EVGA SC is probably the best overall buy.

It has one of the quietest coolers, and the quietest 2-slot cooler. Also it has a 3 year warranty and they're meant to have good customer service, and also the step-up program.

Soldato
How are MSI with their customer serivce/warrently? Looking at the 1070 Gaming X

I RMA'd a MSI GPU a few months ago via OCUK.

It took two weeks to be replaced, and the GPU I received was a refurbished model. It worked perfectly, though had some minor cosmetic scratches on the backplate.

Soldato
Do not get the founders cooler, it cannot maintain overclocks without stupidly high fan speed, or it'll downclock due to temperature.

The EVGA SC is probably the best overall buy.

It has one of the quietest coolers, and the quietest 2-slot cooler. Also it has a 3 year warranty and they're meant to have good customer service, and also the step-up program.

Evga SC is not even a custom pcb its founders with a aftermarket cooler on it...

I know they're only 2 year warranties, but the Gainward/Palit cards are real beasts. Because of the size of their heatsinks, they can run really quiet and cool compared to the rest (if that matters to you)

Well yeah the warranty and the fact it has odd colors to my theme is what puts me off of those...

Associate
Evga SC is not even a custom pcb its founders with a aftermarket cooler on it...

So? There's nothing wrong with the reference board, only the cooler.

The SC's cooler is the quietest 2-slot, and just as quiet as the gainward/palit 2.5-slot beast coolers. But then has a 3 year warranty too. (I have a Palit superjetstream myself)

No matter how 'fancy' the boards get, no 1070 goes above ~2.1 GHz. So anything over ~2 GHz stable in game is as good as it gets. And the SC will easily do that.

Soldato
So? There's nothing wrong with the reference board, only the cooler.

The SC's cooler is the quietest 2-slot, and just as quiet as the gainward/palit 2.5-slot beast coolers. But then has a 3 year warranty too. (I have a Palit superjetstream myself)

No matter how 'fancy' the boards get, no 1070 goes above ~2.1 GHz. So anything over ~2 GHz stable in game is as good as it gets. And the SC will easily do that.

Thats a fair point, done some google search and quite a few people are saying lot of coil whine of the SC one...

There's nothing wrong with the jetstream colours, they're quite plain so won't stick out too much :) besides, how often do you see the face-down side of your gpu??

May be the case but ideally I want to keep to 3 y warranty at least.

Soldato
Zotac have improved a hell of a lot in the RMA department according to those that have experience with their RMS, and the 5 years warranty is awesome reassurance. That's why I too went for the Zotac

Yeah that may be the case but you still have to send it to hong kong now ? plus the orange backplate

Soldato
Yes they do. I asked the same question a few days ago and Gibbo confirmed it.

Really ?? can you show me the post ? cos there was few people talking about sending in to hong kong in here which for a amp extreme is a good 50 quid postage at least.....

Caporegime
ideally what ocuk should do is a round up of the 1070s they sell and bench and show the better brands and warranties.which only take 1 8pin , 2 8 pin.fans the whole works.

clear if certain brands need to go to hong kong and such.la da da.

can see many confused and most of them are similar in performance.which leads to confusion which means many will just hold off.

so clear this up show the better 1070s .

the above post for eg mentions it costs roughly £50 quid to send for RMA.now while 5 years sounds good.imagine if the card goes wrong 3-4 years in.the card will probably only worth £100 if less. so its going to cost you atleast half of the cards worth.or more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom