Windows 10 FAQ

Associate
As your hardware would already be registered with the MS activation servers for windows 10, you can just swap the hard drive for the SSD and do a clean install without activation throwing a hissy fit since it wasn't the motherboard being changed.

Associate
I was on win7 but for no reason my pc has auto upgraded to win10 whats all that about

Microsoft, it's been all over the tech news for a bit, even businesses were hit and had to get tech guys to sort out issues, count yourself lucky if it still works.

I've been on it for the last year and I'm fine with it but I'd be sure peed off if that happened to me.

Soldato
If you do the free upgrade to 10 and prefer the old version can you roll the install back or do fresh install with the old version? Sure this has been answered but didn't see it in the OP.

Associate
If you do the free upgrade to 10 and prefer the old version can you roll the install back or do fresh install with the old version? Sure this has been answered but didn't see it in the OP.

You can roll back to the original OS, but you only have 30 days to do that before (most likely) the backup is erased (if you do a cleanup of previous windows versions in disc cleanup, you lose the ability to roll back if it's done within the 30 day period).

Reinstalling the original OS is a possibility, but you're most likely going to have to go through a phone activation since it's likely not going to activate with it's original key code (it's probably going to have to require activation if you roll back, but I'm not an expert on this).

Soldato
So with the cut off looming and me using my pc for pretty much nothing but gaming, I think I should reluctantly upgrade for dx12.

This was installed with an oem win7 key, so I know it has to be upgrade, rather than clean install. But is there a best way to do it? or just through windows update is fine?

Also, I know updates can't be turned off on 10, does that go for drivers as well? Don't really want my gpu drivers updating by themselves, as Nvidia and Amd have released some dodgy ones recently, so normally wait a while before upgrading.

Thanks.

Associate
So with the cut off looming and me using my pc for pretty much nothing but gaming, I think I should reluctantly upgrade for dx12.

This was installed with an oem win7 key, so I know it has to be upgrade, rather than clean install. But is there a best way to do it? or just through windows update is fine?

Also, I know updates can't be turned off on 10, does that go for drivers as well? Don't really want my gpu drivers updating by themselves, as Nvidia and Amd have released some dodgy ones recently, so normally wait a while before upgrading.

Thanks.

Considering how messed up windows update is at the moment, I'd suggest that you download the media creation tool for windows 10 and use that to upgrade (even though you have a windows 7 OEM key, you can do an upgrade to windows 10 and then wipe the drive and do a clean install since the hardware is registered with microsofts server and will automatically activate once it goes back online).

You are supposed to be able to disable driver updates through windows update, but it doesn't actually work although the latest insider update does seem to have fixed it but you will have to wait until it goes to the public side.

Caporegime
You can clean install 10 using a 7 key. Or you can upgrade within 7 and then use the Reset PC option in 10 which does a clean install itself.

I've never had an issue with W10 inatalling its own drivers for graphics cards. I use nVidias own software and it works fine.

Soldato
Thanks, I upgraded and all went fine.

Until I opened either steam or hwmonitor (opened both near enough same time) and got.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
bug check 0x0000000a
caused by hal.dll

Steam updated itself after the restart and was fine and hwmonitor seems fine as well.

I guess gremlins like that are why people do a clean install once registered?

PC has been fine on 7, with no issues. Don't have time right now to do a clean install, so hopefully it was a one off.

Associate
I run upgraded windows 10 from 7 and tonight I switched out an R9 290x for a Nvidia card windows did the new driver update on its own and its just posted some awesome bench scores, well happy with how smooth it was.

Caporegime
I keep getting notifications while gaming, resulting in my mouse cursor appearing on the screen. How do you stop this from happening? I've tried tinkering with the notification settings but it hasn't worked. Really annoying!

Soldato
Having a right pain trying to install Update KB3176493

It says installing updates, restarts, then "couldn't complete, rolling back" Been happening for weeks.

If I can't download it, is there at least a way for it to stop trying? I see this is a widespread issue.

Man of Honour
You can temporarily block a specific update either through update history or via a minitool. Unfortunately I didn't find that worked very well when I had similar happen though - Windows 10 would randomly try to push the update again.

Soldato
Have you managed to install the aforementioned update without any issues?

I've ran the update trouble shooter as Admin, restarted countless times, checked for updates in Settings etc, running out of ideas.

Man of Honour
Dunno actually I've given up on Windows 10 mostly - had a few issues with 1607 on the VMs I've updated to it and largely gone back to my Windows 8 tablet as its a far more convenient experience sadly than my newer 10 tablet.

EDIT: Oh wow I just fired up my Windows 10 tablet to see and it started doing updates of its own accord and then failed and basically told me to go google for a way to fix it myself :S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom