Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Basically any area the EU and UK co-operates in now. As diverse as Security to Fisheries, and everything in between. If the separation of interests can be amicably negotiated quickly, great.

Nate

But how can any of that be properly debated or decided if we don't know if the UK is going to be completely out, a member of EFTA or some other unique or hybrid arrangement?

For example, Fisheries policy is going to look very different if the UK is 100% out of the EU and not bound by EU law (Cod Wars 2 probably), compared to being part of the EFTA or still part of the free trade area and bound by some EU law.

Caporegime
Both the EU and Scottish referendums were advisory. Which part of that isn't clear?

It is perfectly clear and totally irrelevant to the post of mine you've just quoted. It was also made perfectly clear prior to the referendum, by the prime minister at the time, that the result would be final and that there wouldn't be a second referendum. It has also been made perfectly clear by the current prime minister that brexit means brexit.

If the government want to rule out the chance of a referendum result being blocked during the ratification process then the referendum needed to be made legally binding from the outset. Which would mean Parliament passing legislation to make it so (and thus waiving the chance to debate the result).

You can think it a farce if you like. Others might think it a farce that a non legally binding referendum becomes law without the involvement of Parliament. Clearly we disagree on what constitutes a farce.

All this banging on about democracy and sovereignty by Leavers. And yet you want to bypass the very embodiment of democracy in this country and disregard parliamentary sovereignty. Such desperate hypocrisy.

The conservative government proposed the referendum as an election pledge and was subsequently elected with a clear majority, Parliament approved the referendum with the European Union Referendum Act 2015 - to say this has happened 'without the involvement of Parliament' is utterly false. We've already had the referendum now - to run a referendum and then want a debate/potential overturning of the result because the 'wrong' choice was made by the general public is anti-democratic regardless of how you want to try and spin it.

This is just going round in circles now so this is rather pointless and it isn't going to happen anyway so I guess your angst will have to stay there for a bit longer.

Last edited:
Soldato
But how can any of that be properly debated or decided if we don't know if the UK is going to be completely out, a member of EFTA or some other unique or hybrid arrangement?

But we do know, the UK will be 100% out after Article 50 concludes.

Whatever comes after that, EFTA etc, will require new negotiations, and a referendum possibly.

Nate

Soldato
This is just going round in circles now so this is rather pointless and it isn't going to happen anyway so I guess your angst will have to stay there for a bit longer.

Yep, it's gotten circular and so time to agree to disagree. I don't think the issue will go away in a hurry though at an official level:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...dor-monarch-in-denying-mps-a-vote-over-brexit

Leavers seem to assume that all Remainers are angst ridden and afraid of change. It's just cheap banter really. The reality is a lot more complicated and everyone has different reasons. Personally I'm more worried about the darker undercurrents this has dragged to the surface in British society. Plus the long term implications for poverty, workers rights and human rights as I don't think these are likely to be championed by a UK government freed of the EU.

But anyway, bring it on. The sooner we trigger A50 and leave, the sooner we get full Brexit with no special treatment, the sooner people will be unable to keep blaming everything on the EU (though I'm sure they'll still try) and will have to face up to where the real problems are and what the implications of their vote really are.

Caporegime

For example, Fisheries policy is going to look very different if the UK is 100% out of the EU and not bound by EU law (Cod Wars 2 probably), compared to being part of the EFTA or still part of the free trade area and bound by some EU law.

Would it? Much of the current fisheries policy has little to do with the EU and more to do with older treaties and the British government (and fishermen) selling their quotas to foreign ships.

Interestingly the majority of Brits actually want the same or greater environmental protection out of the EU as we get in the EU. Whether the government respect the wishes of the people or just bow to pressure of the NFU, fishermen and other exploitation industries I guess we will find out. Unfortunately from past experiences the people and environment will lose... So I guess we may try and increase catch limits.

Soldato
We have our people in France doing their job. It is in our advantage to have them there to prevent illegals from trying to come across. Your suggestion means they will have to come back to this country leaving the Chunnel less well guarded.

Send em back. Make it Great again. Take control. Derp

Soldato
Got an email about this, and now Bremain's mobilising again on immigration: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-relaunches-second-referendum-a7213911.html; from the people I campaigned with, the chatter's that the core argument will be for keeping the transitional controls we currently have access to in the EU (should new members join in future); more control over hiring abroad; and the kind of temporary breaks Cameron got being made a customary measure for EU-fringe countries. Expect the main push to be along those lines -- keeping our services access deep and universities as little affected as possible -- though the emergence of any new points/visa regime still hinges on what the EU and government reply with.

On top of this, a Conservative peer, tasked with reviewing the proposed boundary changes for the next election (inherited from Cams), has highlighted that as many as 30 Labour seats are on the chopping block, roughly double of what his own party is expected to lose. Expect another fight over the issue in September. If these go through in their current form, bank on a weak opposition and one party in power for a considerable time -- a matter which affects both Brexit talks and the Corbyn thread, I feel.

Cheerio.

Soldato
but the agreement gives us more control over our borders.

it lets us check papers in France rather than the uk.

therefore putting our border on the French side of the tunnel not the uk side.

I think he's trolling those that voted to leave the EU.

After all with all these talks of ignoring treaties and what not as well as controlling our own borders. Calais seems to be getting more annoyed with having a notional border at their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom