Would a public/private school have put you in better stead?

Soldato
A place of academic excellence and all that. Would you be in a better position, mentally, financially and spiritually right now if you went to a fee paying school or am I bringing up the past pre-internet days?

Soldato
Well statistically speaking you're more likely to gain better/higher paid employment if you went to a public school. Jobs for the boys and all that.

Caporegime
Most people wouldn't necessarily know either way. A good grammar school or a decent comprehensive in a nice area can equal a private school... or indeed an average comp + middle class parents paying for private tutors or simply having middle class parents who make you work etc..

Conversely a private boarding school could be a bad experience for some people.

There are plenty of factors that could change things one way or another.

Soldato
OP
Well statistically speaking you're more likely to gain better/higher paid employment if you went to a public school. Jobs for the boys and all that.

Why would you say that is, I could understand 20 years ago by nowadays not so mcuh.

Caporegime

Probably less 'jobs for the boys' with modern HR departments and more just due to the sorts of people who go to private schools. They'll have decent support from parents for a start so can afford to take risks or perhaps undertake an unpaid internship etc..etc..

They've also had to pass an 11 plus exam to get to private school in the first place so are the same sort that would do well in a grammar school or be in the top sets of a good comp. The private school gets rid of the slow/problem kids by not letting them in in the first place.

Soldato
Soldato
I went to a grammar school and then a private school.

Not a huge difference really. It was easier to get drugs in private school, but the teaching was similar.

Man of Honour
What would have helped me immensely was if my careers advisor had been (A) any good at his job (B) not taking backhanders to get people onto vocational courses even if it meant lying.

I don't think my secondary school itself was a big factor they did a good enough job.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, friend of mine went to one. He is now a tradesman. Does perfectly well for himself but tradesman do not require private school.

Associate
They've also had to pass an 11 plus exam to get to private school in the first place so are the same sort that would do well in a grammar school or be in the top sets of a good comp. The private school gets rid of the slow/problem kids by not letting them in in the first place.

Not sure how true the last statement is. Having been to private school and with a mother who teaches at one they definitely still have slow kids and problem kids.

Difference is the "slow" kids and the teachers are under immense pressure from parents who expect miracles because they spend ££££ to send their kids there. Unfortunately if little Jonny is thick then throwing money at the problem will only get you so far and won't get him straight As. High expectations from his parents might give him all sorts of psychological problems though...

They also have problem kids of an entirely different sort - entitlement doesn't even come close to describing some of the kids. My mum has had kids and parents try to bribe her for grades and even had one African prince who refused to listen to female teachers and who would come and go as he pleased.

There is also much more of a class culture in private school which alienates those whose face (or wallet) doesn't fit. This can be hugely disruptive!

I finished my education in a state school after family circumstances I changed. I don't think private school not opened any more doors for me than I opened for myself or put me in better stead. It might do in some cases but for the vast majority it will make little difference.

/Salsa

Soldato
I think I would have been steered into banking or similar instead of being steered into healthcare, so I would likely be more wealthy, but would never have met my wife. So whos knows, could have been married and divorced twice and lost all that banking money ;)

Soldato
You get a wider education especially with extracurricular activities.

Classes are smaller, more attention is given to each student.

Equipment is not usually an issue and because classes are smaller it benefits the teachers too which goes back to being better for students.

It's not even about the conspiracy of a boys club although you obviously will get to know people whose parents are extremely influential and wealthy since they can afford the premium education. Maybe you can get a leg up, probably not.

The school will simply put more effort and time into trying to teach, motivate and broaden the horizons of their students.

If you can afford it, private schools give your children a better chance.

Soldato
I had the option of a private school, the local grammar, or the brand spanking new CTC.

I chose the CTC. I think my parents wanted me to go to the private school, but respected my decision. I didn't like the whole "upper class" thing that went with the private school. Even at that age I knew I didn't want to be a part of that in life.

Great school up to and including GCSE and I did well. Flunked all my A-Levels because of the lax approach to teaching once moving into 6th form.

Would I have done better at A-Level had I gone to the private or Grammar? Yes, probably.

No idea what difference it could have made of course, but I still ended up buying my first place at 21 and now being in a job much above the average median income managing people old enough to be my parents, so I wouldn't say it was all that bad. Fun times were had too.

Just a shame that is now an academy. I'm not sure that any of the 15 CTCs even exist any more, which I think is very sad. They were a great idea. Just needed to sort out the 6th form teaching...

Caporegime
Not sure how true the last statement is. Having been to private school and with a mother who teaches at one they definitely still have slow kids and problem kids.

Difference is the "slow" kids and the teachers are under immense pressure from parents who expect miracles because they spend ££££ to send their kids there.

I was referring to selective schools, the really slow kids shouldn't get in in the first place.

Y
It's not even about the conspiracy of a boys club although you obviously will get to know people whose parents are extremely influential and wealthy since they can afford the premium education. Maybe you can get a leg up, probably not.

This is certainly true in the city, you can't just land a job at some big multinational bank because your uncle or mate's dad works there etc..

People who are hired unfairly tend to be in overseas offices and well connected politically - i.e. some Chinese kid hired into the HK office because his parents are high up in the communist party or in some business that is worth millions to one of the trading desks as a client etc..

Private school kids will perhaps have still had an advantage simply because they're going to be more aware of how to land those roles, know to apply to 'target' universities, know to undertake internships.

If you want a decent shot at grad schemes in the city then you go to Oxbridge/London/Warwick and private schools tend to be pretty good at getting their pupils into those universities.

Man of Honour
It depends what better stead is, but if it's earnings then no. If it's connections then no as they tend to come with age, experience and business success. If it's ease and pace at which I could have done things, perhaps, but who knows.

Caporegime
A place of academic excellence and all that. Would you be in a better position, mentally, financially and spiritually right now if you went to a fee paying school or am I bringing up the past pre-internet days?

no.most people i know who are very rich didnt even finish school.a good education doesnt mean you will be well ooff. it just means you know nonsense most wont.

applying yourself and hunger is what gets you your goal.

Back
Top Bottom