Is it just me or is this pretty insensitive practice?

Caporegime
No, but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay them that much to remove about 3 cuboards and a couple of chairs (the rest was already dealt with).

Well that is good, you'd hope most normal people would remove stuff from a council flat. The problem is there are likely a fair few lazy chavs who leave stuff behind - it seems pretty appropriate that they're then charged if the council have to send people to clear stuff out.

Soldato
But in this case taking up residential space for sentimental reasons when you are not paying for it is not fair on others.
I said:
It's quite sad when people are too poor to be able to have time to go through the grief process at the sort of pace others may expect to do so.

You can argue the 'fair' about it all, but my point was that poverty strikes in many ways, not always obvious. The allowance to grieve is yet another. And it's quite sad that it is so.

Soldato
When my grandfather died, my mum notified the council immediately as his house was a rented council house. We had people knocking on the door the same day wanting a look round. We had not even had the funeral !! Parasites.

A few very choice words were had I can tell you with both the visitors and the council housing department.

NOTE: Post edited heavily to remove many uses of words that will get me a suspension.

Associate
You should receive a letter once the tenancy has ended listing any outstanding rent and, if applicable, overpaid Housing Benefit.

It's important to mention you have no obligation to pay any of the amounts yourself. The council won't pursue anybody for the money.

Soldato
It's the same with council tax, Dying relative council tax zero per month due to not working and on sick benefits. Less than 48 hours after death council tax bill arrives addressed to executors of deceased for full council tax for the remainder of the tax year.

Soldato
It's the same with council tax, Dying relative council tax zero per month due to not working and on sick benefits. Less than 48 hours after death council tax bill arrives addressed to executors of deceased for full council tax for the remainder of the tax year.

Maybe different because your relative was on a zero rate, but when my mum died we got a 6 months grace period from the date of death before being charged - and were later refunded the un-used portion for that year when the house was eventually sold. The grace period was conditional on the property being empty until sale.

Soldato
It is insensitive OP and I can relate as we went through a very similar process with my Nan but that also involved another family member being kicked out of the house.

However for people who deal with death everyday it just becomes part of the job. I think on average around 1400 people die in the UK every day so for councils each case is just another number.

Soldato
No it's not insensitive in my view, just the way of the world. You don't get anything for free.

Wishing you all the best for the funeral. I hope it goes well for you and your family.

Soldato
When my father passed away a few years ago he had been living in a council bungalow. When we went up to the office with a copy of the death certificate we were just asked to clear it as quickly as possible and hand the keys in when we were done. As we were over 300 miles away from home it had to be done quick anyway - £100 to a house clearance company to take away the large items, papers and photo albums into the car to sort out back home and what was left over piled in the wheelie bin. A terrible way to conclude the gathered possessions etc. of someone who lived over 80 years, but it just had to be done.

Far worse was sorting out the utilities as that dragged on for months afterwards with nPower trying to claim he still owed money when in fact he had switched to British Gas. Then British Gas on being given the final meter reading stating the account was in credit and issuing a rebate, turned round a couple of weeks later and decided the account was in debit so wanted the money back.

Unfortunately it's a sad fact that being in the lead on dealing with the death of a parent, actually gives very little time to grieve. You need to keep a clear head and your wits about you.

Caporegime
You're taking it personally. One thing we all learn in life is that the world doesn't stop for others because of your own personal tragedies.

However, my condolences.

Caporegime
See also: the 'bedroom tax' after a child has died. You may want to keep their room as they left it, as many do, but you'll be 'taxed' for doing so.

by taxed you mean given less money?

i'd imagine the child being dead and no longer needing food would save the tenner that is the "bedroom tax"

that or kids are way cheaper than i thought

Associate
I can understand that you feel they are being insensitive but they are not personally involved and to them it is just business.

Once the funeral is over I would certainly want to find out what date the rent had been paid up to.

Wishing you well for the funeral.

Associate
Its more likely that some "other members of society" have taken ages over it in the past and / or started living there themselves so the council have had to draw a line under it.

We had similar issues with my uncle died and it shocked me as well. The system isn't set up for decent normal people like the OP.

Soldato
by taxed you mean given less money?

i'd imagine the child being dead and no longer needing food would save the tenner that is the "bedroom tax"

that or kids are way cheaper than i thought

That's why I referred to the tax as 'tax'.

However, I have a sneaky suspicion that you lose a lot more than a 'tenner' after your other benefits also get cut when your offspring dies. Child benefit alone is more than that, disregarding the other parental benefits you would expect a person already in receipt of housing benefit to get.

In any case, I wasn't making the statement as a point to argue against the 'bedroom tax'. I was merely pointing out how sad it is that the sort of grieving and preservation of memory that many need to go through is not available to the poorest.

Back
Top Bottom