**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Don
I am after 4 new tyres and when searching it seems most either have 'BMW Fitment', 'Audi Fitment' or 'Merc Fitment'. Does this just mean they are for those cars specifically or that it's just an OEM fitment?

Generally just means it is logoed with e.g. Audi ring badge in addition to the tyre manufacturers logo.

However, sometimes specific OEM fitments can have slightly different compounds (or at least be advertised as such) to the non-OEM fitment, as evidenced by different "tyre ratings" e.g. the Wet / Noise / Fuel efficiency ratings

Man of Honour
I am after 4 new tyres and when searching it seems most either have 'BMW Fitment', 'Audi Fitment' or 'Merc Fitment'. Does this just mean they are for those cars specifically or that it's just an OEM fitment?

It means the tyre is produced to the requirements of that particular manufacturer. It is if course fine on other cars too.

Associate
Interesting to read thanks. I've done a few thousand in the CSC6 now and still can't come to a solid conclusion on wear rate or wear pattern as they still seem to be even and loads of tread on the rears left to decide yet. Launching off from standstill when a short gap opens up at a junction or roundabout is much easier in the CSC6 over the MPSS on my car (265/30 rears). If they were cold then the PSS would slip causing DSC to kick in instantly and I'd miss the gap.

Hi mrk
Any further thoughts on the CSC6's yet & how are they wearing.
I am very interested in your thoughts as I am looking for a new set of tyres for my BMW.
Thanks

Soldato
I have received my tyres today from Tyreleader who were massively cheaper than anywhere else! Now I just need to get them fitted.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the West Midlands that would fit them? I am being quoted £15-20 a corner which seems a little steep.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Hi mrk
Any further thoughts on the CSC6's yet & how are they wearing.
I am very interested in your thoughts as I am looking for a new set of tyres for my BMW.
Thanks

While I'm not mrk, I have had CSC6s on for longer than he has!

I'm finding them to be superb. They are supremely grippy in the dry, feedback is excellent and the wet weather performance is staggering.

Wear rates - I've done 8-9k miles so far on them and there's still 6mmish on the front and 4-5mm on the rear. I reckon I'll get another 4-5k out of them.

I know certain posters like to bleat about how their Internet Hero tyres lasted for ever and the Contis are made out of cheese in comparison but I think 12-15k from a set of rears on a 300+bhp RWD car is pretty good going. I've burned through less sticky tyres much, much faster than this in the past!

Soldato
I easily had 15k+ out of a front pair of CSC5s on my old car and that was a heavy V6 FWD car, and I had 14k out of a pair of fronts on my current even heavier FWD car. They're not CSC6s (I want them :( ) but I should imagine they wear much the same.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Pretty much as above also,

I said elsewhere that if the PS4 were available at the time, I'd have just gone for those. But I'm more than pleased with the CSC6.

My driving mostly consists of spirited driving and longer journeys as it is, and the tread still looks new having done a few thousand miles. I have not put a gauge to them to confirm exact figures, but not had a need to either.

I was on 79k miles when I got the tyres back in March, I am now on 86k.

Soldato
So, the Michelin Crossclimate. Car had a nearly new pair on the front and a pair of hankooks on the rear that were worn enough to be loudly droning so needed to go. I've never been an advocate of winter tyres, I think they're silly for most of the UK and I live in the warmest part of the country. But, I needed a new pair and figured if there was any benefit to be had then it wouldn't be there without all 4 corners wearing them. Plus it's not a performance car, just an everyday diesel hatch so doesn't need anything too special and the crossclimate is still a summer tyre. So I took a punt and got a pair, at £113 each they weren't cheap (205/50/17) but much the same as UHP tyres.

Can't comment on wear rate or winter ability but as a summer tyre they do seem pretty good, quite impressed with them so far. Quiet and grippy, no clenching moments under heavy braking or anything you'd expect from a poor summer tyre. So the same price as UHP, summer performance of a midrange...time will tell if there's any payoff in the colder months, but worst case scenario is that I could have got quality midrange tyres for about £20 less a corner, so not the end of the world :)

Soldato
I have received my tyres today from Tyreleader who were massively cheaper than anywhere else! Now I just need to get them fitted.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the West Midlands that would fit them? I am being quoted £15-20 a corner which seems a little steep.

You may find somewhere that will fit them for around £10 a corner with enough looking but remember that they have to fund a bay for around an hour or so, and make some profit, without the benefit of having sold you the tyres in the first place.

Man of Honour
You may find somewhere that will fit them for around £10 a corner with enough looking but remember that they have to fund a bay for around an hour or so, and make some profit, without the benefit of having sold you the tyres in the first place.

An hour or so to fit 4 tyres?

It's under 30 minutes.

Man of Honour
I normally throw the new tyres in my work van, along with the wheels off the carp. Saves a tyre shop quite a bit of time.

I usually pay £5 a corner fitting once mates rates has been factored in

Associate
Depends how many people are doing it, 2 or 3 people on a job is a lot quicker. I changed 4 tyres myself on my own car recently which took an hour.

To be honest at my local place they take well under an hour to change all 4 including balancing with just one guy on my car. It's a bit different if you're just doing it yourself vs a guy who does it 8 hours every day and has the best tools. They really don't mess about.

Associate
Kumho KU39 or Avon ZV7 Tyres

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at replacing 2 tyres on my wifes Auris and have come across 2 tyres which seem to be similar of price and performance. The size is 215/45/17and both seem to be around the £65 each.

Do any of you guys have any good/bad experiences with any of these 2 tyres?
Thanks

Soldato
Never used the Avon but used the KU39 a few times, pretty much my go to tyre due to cost/performance never had an issue with them and will be buying two more next month for my current car

Back
Top Bottom