** Official Days Gone Thread **

Caporegime
OP
Please expand - I just dont see any mechanics thats unique to TLoU, more that it polishes them

EDIT: Actually dont bother - so OT...

ps3ud0 :cool:

I don't think its mechanics

Its more about art style. Its as if the art team for each game all had screenshots of the last of us on their mood boards in the design office.

That in itself is no bad thing. The last of us looked brilliant.

Soldato
Hmmmm, mixed reactions for me, watching this video.

Whilst I LOVE apocalyptic/zombie type games, and still consider TLOU as my best game to date, this video left me a little cold towards the game.

The guy burning through 100s of assault rifle rounds... sure it could have been done to make the demo more interesting, and the end result might be that ammo isn't this plentiful, but as a taster I didn't like that aspect. It took away a great deal of both survival and horror for me.

In TLOU, getting a firearm and using it, felt 'special' (I guess that's a way of putting it); as you actually felt like using that shot really mattered, as ammo was a bit of a commodity - so the act of using say the shotgun or pistol on someone was something planned and executed. Though by the end of TLOU, you are kinda armed to the teeth somewhat.

I appreciate that they are both completely different scenarios - this being open-world (I think) and TLOU being a bit more 'on the rails', so the former will naturally present more foes to dispatch; necessitating the extra ammo. But I can't help but think that in a horde rush like shown, better use of escape and evasion could have made the experience much more thrilling and rewarding; being able to maybe hide, barricade yourself, whilst the horde relocate or calm down (maybe have loud sound startle them?) - allowing you to creep off with only a few dramas. This leads me onto the horde itself:

They seemed a little too psychic for my liking - a couple of times I'm sure he's broken line of sight, but they just keep flowing along in their big ol' zombie train. Again, I admit that this could have also been done just for the wow factor of the demo - and certainly the number on screen is very impressive; but it just became tedious to watch. Maybe they're not zombies, and do have a measure of intellect left - hence why they are able to keep up with the player... it just didn't look enjoyable to me personally.

Jumping back to horde evasion, I think it would add a nice dynamic to the game - leading to a more planned/cautious play style; allowing you to scope out a potential site, make plans for if it goes wrong? Maybe in the area they showed you could set yourself up a location to fall back to - prep it before venturing further to explore the entire area, lay a few trap - barricade windows/doors etc?

Here's hoping that it's not as bad as this nay-sayer thinks!

Soldato
Very similar in tone and setting so far. But I think the combat action is clearly leagues different, at least what we've seen so far. And it's also an open-world game with full night/day cycle and all. So even if it has some TLOU-underpinnings in a couple areas, the game should generally play very differently.

I definitely see what you're saying, though. Between this, Horizon, Uncharted 4 and the new God of War, it feels like Sony has just gone to all their devs and told them, "Make everything like The Last of Us!!".

I think it looks like TLOU... Graphically. So much so I actually thought it was TLOU at first.

Associate
I don't think its mechanics

Its more about art style. Its as if the art team for each game all had screenshots of the last of us on their mood boards in the design office.

That in itself is no bad thing. The last of us looked brilliant.

Yeah I agree. They all look they same, but all look to play different. Deffo not a bad thing. I'll wait till the slim comes out before I dip into the PS life again.

Back
Top Bottom