ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS MEMORY PROBLEMS HELP PLEASE

Associate
Hi there i post this yesterday,i could not find the new thread option, thanks to point me to the direction.

Hello everyone sorry i am not hijacking your tread, but i have look all around the forum and cannot find where or how to start a new tread, so please can you help.
I have the ASUS Z10-PE D8 WS ,Since April 2016 and cannot get my project setup with 128GB RAM as yet I am using two CPU's they are the Zeon 2620 , i bought a set of 64GB Rams 16x4, they were CT16G4RFD4213- 36FA2 modules, They work ok .I then decide to add another 64GB Rams they are the CT16G4RFD4213-6FB1, When i install they the System will not boot it is showing b7 system initializing i contact Asus support they say that i need to use the same module of RAM, but they will change the Motherboard for me as it maybe a fault on it, i receive the next Motherboard but i am getting the same result, I then contact CRUCIAL Support, they told me that the modules ending with 36FA2 they no longer make them, they are the older modules but they should work with the 36FB1, as they are the same CT16G4RFD4213
36FB1 is the new module i had the 36FA2 exchange for another set of 36FB1, so now i have all 8 sticks of the same CT16G4RFD4213-36FB1 but again when install all 8 sticks it’s the same results
B7 system initializing, Question is this a normal thing to happen and should I have to wait for hours for it to initializing
The Computer did boot up with 7 stick of RAM install both the 36FA2 and the 36FB1 mixed the problem is when a RAM is in DIMMD1 Slot, it don’t move from b7. I change the Bios setting memory frequency to 1600,but the same result,
Latest BIOS is version 3304 x64 build date 06/2/2016 memory on board 7 sticks of RAM shows 114688 Mb,
CPU-Z nothing showing in Slot 4
Please can you help?
Thank you

I had a reply thank you, but I cannot find the XMP profile on the Asus Z10PE D8 WS motherboard,i went into the BIOS and hit the AiTweaker - Ai Overclock Tuner-i then hit enter and all i see is Auto, Manual- OC Tune , there is no XMP option, as i don't wish to crash this board any further, please can you say which option should i use or where is the xmp found on this board/bios

I must say that i have since advance a bit with the memory all 8 sticks are installed, but it is only showing 98304MB RAM on bootup (platform is Windows 10 Pro)
and when i use the software CPUID CPU-Z when i click on memory it show DDR4 Quad 96GB 1197.1MHZ, when i click on SPD it shows slots 1,2,5, 6,7,8 got in Memory but slots 3,4 none showing, i am not getting the g7 system initializing so far.
Thank you
Cheers

Associate
I am running the same board with 2x kits of 64 GB Crucial Kit 4*16GB CT4K16G4RFD4213 1.2V RDIMM - Rock solid.

It is currently working so I will try to remember to check what settings i have for memory on next reboot. - maybe a few days :/

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011-R3/Z10PE-D8_WS/Manuals/E9804b_Z10PE-D8_WS_UM_V4_WEB.pdf
Page 4-35 onwards

Also check out what settings Puget systems are using here. They kindly give a lot of info.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/bios_screenshots/Motherboard/Asus-Z10PE-D8-WS-10563

Associate
OP
I am running the same board with 2x kits of 64 GB Crucial Kit 4*16GB CT4K16G4RFD4213 1.2V RDIMM - Rock solid.

It is currently working so I will try to remember to check what settings i have for memory on next reboot. - maybe a few days :/

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011-R3/Z10PE-D8_WS/Manuals/E9804b_Z10PE-D8_WS_UM_V4_WEB.pdf
Page 4-35 onwards

Also check out what settings Puget systems are using here. They kindly give a lot of info.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/bios_screenshots/Motherboard/Asus-Z10PE-D8-WS-10563

Hello
Thank you for the info I wait for your findings, in the mean time I did a slot check by installing one stick in each slot one by one and find out that each slot would boot all except slot Dimm d1 none of the memory stick would boot from this slot, this is the second motherboard the first was Rev 1.03 this one is 1.04 so I find it hard to believe that it's a slot problem and not a setting fault ,I could be wrong ,so I wait for your settings, but will go through these from the website you send me
Cheers mate thank you

Associate
It is unlikely,that both boards exhibit the same issue. have you tried the cpu's in a different order ?

I understand the IMC is on the CPU, maybe a pad/contact on the underside of one of the cpu's is not clean ?

Be careful, the sockets are fragile!

Associate
OP
Hello
Thank you Blackbadger for your reply, i check my Bios sttings and they are more the same as the latest in Puget systems settings although their version Bios is 3204 mine is 3304 so some setting ar not in mine.
I will wait for your settings findings when you got the time as your system is up and running, that is what i am aiming to achieve,i been trying from April 2016 , and still not be able to get my system setup,
The system is Water cooling so i will have to do a complete drain down again, my question, as you mention to change the CPU around and also check the under neath of the CPU it may needs some cleaning,CAN I POWER UP THE COMPUTER TO CHECK THE MEMORY WITHOUT THE WATER LOOP CONNECTED, Why? because you can imagine filling up and drain down if by just checking the memory THE CPU'S WON'T get overheat because i cannot afford to have this happen.Would you recommend such an action
This question is to anyone please, i am desperate to get my system up and running, it is a lot of time and money spend so far without any joy
Thank you
Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
The calculations my system is doing should finish approximately late tomorrow morning, so I will reboot and check then.

I am however skeptical if the bios settings would cause a memory slot to not function.
incorrect settings would likely result in the system either not posting, instability, or sub par performance.

I do know, I have not updated the bios this year, nor can remember changing many settings, especially memory settings, as I didn't understand much of what many of the settings meant.

Nearly all modern CPUs have integrated memory controllers. A damaged or missing pin used by the memory controller can cause one or more slots to become unusable.
As you have had 2 motherboards with exactly the same issue - this is why I suspect it could be one of the cpu's. It could in itself be faulty or the contact where it touches the pins is not clean (which would be the best case scenario).

Swapping the CPU's around would help identify if my theory is correct, as a different dimm slot would fail if the IMC on one of the CPU's is not functioning correctly.

Check all pins on the motherboard are ok, they are tiny and VERY fragile, be careful if you do go down this route. - Sorry water cooling can be a real pain if maintenance is required.

skip to 1:20 onwards. - It is suggested it's ok to boot with no coolant for a very short time. Note: I do not recommend this as I don't know enough about the thermal characteristics of the cpu's or the blocks, which should act as poor heatsinks.

Best to check on the water cooling subforum, I have no experience in such matters. (disconnect the pump however as that will not like running without fluid).

Associate
OP
The calculations my system is doing should finish approximately late tomorrow morning, so I will reboot and check then.

I am however skeptical if the bios settings would cause a memory slot to not function.
incorrect settings would likely result in the system either not posting, instability, or sub par performance.

I do know, I have not updated the bios this year, nor can remember changing many settings, especially memory settings, as I didn't understand much of what many of the settings meant.

Nearly all modern CPUs have integrated memory controllers. A damaged or missing pin used by the memory controller can cause one or more slots to become unusable.
As you have had 2 motherboards with exactly the same issue - this is why I suspect it could be one of the cpu's. It could in itself be faulty or the contact where it touches the pins is not clean (which would be the best case scenario).

Swapping the CPU's around would help identify if my theory is correct, as a different dimm slot would fail if the IMC on one of the CPU's is not functioning correctly.

Check all pins on the motherboard are ok, they are tiny and VERY fragile, be careful if you do go down this route. - Sorry water cooling can be a real pain if maintenance is required.

skip to 1:20 onwards. - It is suggested it's ok to boot with no coolant for a very short time. Note: I do not recommend this as I don't know enough about the thermal characteristics of the cpu's or the blocks, which should act as poor heatsinks.

Best to check on the water cooling subforum, I have no experience in such matters. (disconnect the pump however as that will not like running without fluid).

Hello

Thank you, thank you, I follow your instruction and it is now reading all 8 sticks of memory,
This is what i did drain down my water cooling system then remove both CPU's clean them with isopropyl alcohol then swap them round, and reinstall then re-fill water loop, i did not try it without the cooling, then i start with 2 memory strips, then 4, then 8 and to my surprise it pass the g7 and to my surprise all 8 strips were read =128Gb usable ,
but my next problem when I remove the strips to fit the water blocks/ sinks, i hoping that I will not loose the settings in bios, i will have to carefully and replace the same memory strip to exact slot it came out of one by one
,Blackbadger thank you. i will post my out come when i complete this rig, system

Cheers:D

Last edited:
Associate
That's great news. I can only imagine the frustration of having such a setup not functioning correctly. Glad you have it sorted, and it was not something serious. :)

Everyone loves pictures, post a few when ready.

Associate
OP
Hello , thanks again I will attach some pictures when I complete the build ,presently I am piping up ,using hard tubing , so it takes sometime I keep booting just to be sure that I am not dreaming .
Cheers

Associate
Hi there i post this yesterday,i could not find the new thread option, thanks to point me to the direction.

Hello everyone sorry i am not hijacking your tread, but i have look all around the forum and cannot find where or how to start a new tread, so please can you help.
I have the ASUS Z10-PE D8 WS ,Since April 2016 and cannot get my project setup with 128GB RAM as yet I am using two CPU's they are the Zeon 2620 , i bought a set of 64GB Rams 16x4, they were CT16G4RFD4213- 36FA2 modules, They work ok .I then decide to add another 64GB Rams they are the CT16G4RFD4213-6FB1, When i install they the System will not boot it is showing b7 system initializing i contact Asus support they say that i need to use the same module of RAM, but they will change the Motherboard for me as it maybe a fault on it, i receive the next Motherboard but i am getting the same result, I then contact CRUCIAL Support, they told me that the modules ending with 36FA2 they no longer make them, they are the older modules but they should work with the 36FB1, as they are the same CT16G4RFD4213
36FB1 is the new module i had the 36FA2 exchange for another set of 36FB1, so now i have all 8 sticks of the same CT16G4RFD4213-36FB1 but again when install all 8 sticks it’s the same results
B7 system initializing, Question is this a normal thing to happen and should I have to wait for hours for it to initializing
The Computer did boot up with 7 stick of RAM install both the 36FA2 and the 36FB1 mixed the problem is when a RAM is in DIMMD1 Slot, it don’t move from b7. I change the Bios setting memory frequency to 1600,but the same result,
Latest BIOS is version 3304 x64 build date 06/2/2016 memory on board 7 sticks of RAM shows 114688 Mb,
CPU-Z nothing showing in Slot 4
Please can you help?
Thank you

I had a reply thank you, but I cannot find the XMP profile on the Asus Z10PE D8 WS motherboard,i went into the BIOS and hit the AiTweaker - Ai Overclock Tuner-i then hit enter and all i see is Auto, Manual- OC Tune , there is no XMP option, as i don't wish to crash this board any further, please can you say which option should i use or where is the xmp found on this board/bios

I must say that i have since advance a bit with the memory all 8 sticks are installed, but it is only showing 98304MB RAM on bootup (platform is Windows 10 Pro)
and when i use the software CPUID CPU-Z when i click on memory it show DDR4 Quad 96GB 1197.1MHZ, when i click on SPD it shows slots 1,2,5, 6,7,8 got in Memory but slots 3,4 none showing, i am not getting the g7 system initializing so far.
Thank you
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom