Spec me a London Hotel

Don
Ok, I've got 2 friends coming over to the UK for a holiday, they want to spend 3-4 nights in London and have asked me to help find them a hotel. The problem is I don't know London and haven't a clue where to start looking.

They have no set dates yet but they'll be coming over at the end of this month or early October. They're going to be doing all the touristy **** so want something fairly central or at least in a decent, safe area that's near an underground station. They're looking at £70-100 per night budget wise.

Any recommendations or advice on where and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Check out the secret hotel section on lastminute.com. I stayed in a 5* hotel with a great saving, not far from "theatreland"

Top tip: Google the description of the hotel and you'll be able to find out what it really is ;)

Caporegime
Cheapest ibis or whatever in holborn, covent garden, etc.
Probably still close to 100. 2 Sharing a family or doubleroom it can be quite cheap.
I personally spend as little as possible on hotels. All you do is sleep there and maybe have breakfast... Free wi-fi and a clean bed/bathroom and I'm happy. Shoeboxes suit me fine.

I doubt they will get a bargain on a chain hotel at short notice. Except from a last minute website, that's cutting it fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Can vouch to Covent Garden, we stayed in the area for New Year and it was an easy walk and underground trip about to places.

Don
OP
[TW]Fox;29964241 said:
70 quid in central London doesn't even get a premier Inn. They'll need yo stay further out for that.

As I said, if central isn't possible then something in a reasonable area close to an underground station.
Can't you just use a website like booking.com?

I use that for all my business travels and it couldn't be easier.

I could but I thought I'd ask the lovely, helpful people of Ocuk for their opinion. I can find hotels but it's not going to improve my knowledge of London and what's the best area to search.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I stayed in the Kings Hotel in Holborn.

Walking distance from covent garden and opposite the tube, but definitely outside the budget. Worth looking in that general area though :)

Soldato
I stayed for 2 weeks in Ibis in Stratford and it was only £70 a night (not sure of weekends as I stayed Sunday to Thursday nights).

It's not the nicest of areas (never had a problem though) but the station at Stratford is massive and has quite a few lines converging there.

Associate
airbnb

get a place in the area you'll mostly be going out in, do not get a hotel on the outskirts as what you'll pay in travel will easily cover what a closer hotel would cost

Soldato
Travelodge docklands is £75 a night for a large family room, underground is 3min walk

It's quite....and I mean, quiet

Just don't stay in the britannia international, that place is a hole

Soldato
I've stayed at the Stratford ibis, good rates if you book well in advance as you get a discounted rate and its still central enough with the underground connection, so traveling around the city isnt a chore.

Was very happy with it, basic but modern, and if you're site seeing and whatnot then its perfectly good as a place to put your head down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As I said, if central isn't possible then something in a reasonable area close to an underground station.

Consider Croydon - hear me out first.

There is a decent Premier Inn and a Hampton By Hilton right next door to East Croydon railway station. There are trains from East Croydon station every 10 minutes or so to Victoria, central London, and it takes about 14 minutes.

It's not as convenient as central London but frankly I bet in terms of time it's no longer than Docklands or something and you get a better hotel than a Travelodge.

Soldato
I've stayed at the Stratford ibis, good rates if you book well in advance as you get a discounted rate and its still central enough with the underground connection, so traveling around the city isnt a chore.

The other advantage is that it's next door to a big Nando's.

Back
Top Bottom