System for flight sim + mining

Associate
It's been a while since I've properly looked at components so I'm a bit out of the loop. I'm looking to build a system which will primarily be used to run FlightGear but can also be used for mining. The cost of electricity will be little to none, so unless I'm mistaken I should be able to turn a profit through mining?

I have several components that can be used already as well as a Dell U2713HM so I'll be looking at getting:

CPU, Mobo, PSU, RAM, Case, GPU(s), Cooler, SSD.

I believe for around £800 or maybe even less I should be able to get a decent system that can run the sim but what I need to know is which and how many GPUs I should get if I'm wanting to maximise mining return, providing these GPUs are suitable for the sim?

Thanks in advance

Caporegime
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £672.18
(includes shipping: £11.70)

Im not so clued up on mining and if AMD still rule at this (they use to last time I looked). Maybe a GTX1070 would be a better choice for the extra frames per second as long as Nvidia are good at mining also.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, from what I've gathered it looks as if AMD are still top when it comes to mining but perhaps I'll ask some further questions in the Mining forum.

Question - is the 8GB 480 suggestion due to the resolution I'll be using? Is a 4GB version likely to struggle with a flightsim at that res? I'll only need one for using the flight sim but I could perhaps get another 2 for mining, so could 1 be 8GB and the other 2 be 4GB?

Last edited:
Soldato
speaking from experience, if you set up a rig for mining with the intention of gaming on it as well, you won't do any gaming on it.

you'd need an atx board with plenty of pcie slots. It doesn't matter if they're x1 or x16 as you can use pcie risers on the x1 slots.

Associate
OP
speaking from experience, if you set up a rig for mining with the intention of gaming on it as well, you won't do any gaming on it.

you'd need an atx board with plenty of pcie slots. It doesn't matter if they're x1 or x16 as you can use pcie risers on the x1 slots.

Thanks, I didn't realise that about the pcie slots. However does that not mean they will operate at 1x etc, or is that not an issue for mining?

The rig will actually be used for a project which will involve playing with the source code of the software I believe, but will need to run the sim for testing. Another rig will be available at the same time so hopefully I won't be using this one too much.

Soldato
I was under the impression that mining was a waste of time now for personal users, the electricity + hardware damage doesn't justify the gain from bitcoin.

Especially with the Chinese companies with huge bit coin farms.

Associate
OP
I was under the impression that mining was a waste of time now for personal users, the electricity + hardware damage doesn't justify the gain from bitcoin.

Especially with the Chinese companies with huge bit coin farms.

I believe that to be the case also but my electricity costs will be covered for the foreseeable future so I think there's an opportunity for it to be profitable.

Back
Top Bottom