New build - painted walls?

Soldato
Just a general question, possibly a stupid one

When you purchase a new build property are all the walls left bare plaster or do the developers normally emulsion them all?

Tea Drinker
Don
Because sustainability you'll get mist and do two coats of water thin trade emulsion and water based gloss woodwork. It won't be very hard wearing and you'll need to repaint in a couple of years.

Soldato
If the ceilings are textured finished (I know Persimmon were doing these a few years ago) then check if they have been painted at all. It was known for the contractors to miss out a few rooms of each house. Most people would only notice they hadn't been painted on closer inspection.

Soldato
In 2011 TW left me two tubs to touch up with, one white for ceilings and the other magnolia for walls.

The option to have white walls, rather than magnolia, was available but at £100-£150 on top which is a bit of a **** take.

Associate
Forgot to say also the gloss they use is abysmal it will rub off and peel after a few months to a year on heavy wear places like the banister.

3 years down the line of my new build thats a Taylor Wimpey now and the biggest thing i regret is not doing any decorating when i moved in when the house was empty.would have been so much easier and quicker.If you get the chance to do a few rooms get them out the way.

Associate
I would suggest you do this yourself, you want good quality paint in your new home so you get a long lasting finish and your not having to do this a few months in.

McB

McB

Associate
David Wilsons / Barratt Homes - same, watered down magnolia everywhere and a terrible job at that from contractors at ours. you can get them to paint your colour at a astronomical rate ahead of move in, its normally a flat rate so same for halls, stairs and landing as a downstairs loo :/

Also, you can snag it once in if not right - Our neighbours had them round repeatedly for paint defects and splodges of dried paint to sand and repaint.

Don
I wouldn't worry about it, you are going to need to redecorate because of shrinkage cracks fairly soon anyway and you can do a proper job then

Back
Top Bottom