Fabric loses it's license - Closes doors for good

Caporegime
At one surreal point in the evening it was requested by one of these officials that, should the club retain its license, Fabric DJs must play music with “lower BPMs” in order to increase the “safety” of clubbers, as slower music by their logic does less to encourage ecstasy use.

It's safe to say that the people making the decisions are completely out of touch.

Associate

I don't quite get the point of these committees.. all seems a bit amateurish.. and that police evidence is bizarre. It's a bunch of people who aren't (In my opinion) qualified to make decisions that will effect a lot of people. I get they don't want to spend a lot of money in the courts but still, they're just wasting everyone's time.

Caporegime
I don't quite get the point of these committees.. all seems a bit amateurish.. and that police evidence is bizarre. It's a bunch of people who aren't (In my opinion) qualified to make decisions that will effect a lot of people. I get they don't want to spend a lot of money in the courts but still, they're just wasting everyone's time.

The point of the committees is that a local authority decides what goes on to some extent in terms of licenced venues in it's area.

As for the police they're perfectly qualified to comment on criminal matter and whether security conditions imposed on the club were being carried out.

It is sad that such a venue has closed and frankly I'd prefer to see a radical change in drugs laws in the UK more along the lines of Portugal's approach... however it isn't hard to see why Fabric was shut down given the current laws we have and it isn't like they didn't have plenty of warning.

As for conspiracies about new flats etc.. supposedly being a motivator for the police that is just ridiculously far fetched, I can think of another reason for them taking an interest if we're going to ponder over conspiracies but tbh... the main issue is people dying within the club. You'd also find authorities reacting if there were multiple alcohol related deaths on a premises too or deaths from gang violence.

Caporegime
How is the club going to pay for all of that?

I guess drink prices/entrance fees are going to skyrocket, and the ID thing sorta screams for a more particular clientele.

Soldato
I think you'll find it rather hard to visit any bar or club in the UK and not see people buying or using drugs. That's the point, Shall we just go ahead and make all bars and clubs illegal and close them all down? Might as well but then of course people will still buy and do drugs elsewhere. You can't defeat drugs like this. It will never work.

But think of all the buildings that could be converted into desperately needed housing.;)

Soldato
If the government and council actually wanted to protect clubbers they would listen to their science advisers and legalise MDMA and make it available through licensed dealers.

Man of Honour
How is the club going to pay for all of that?

I guess drink prices/entrance fees are going to skyrocket, and the ID thing sorta screams for a more particular clientele.

None of it sounds that much more extreme than some of the clubs I've worked at, it's a pretty standard security/medic setup by the sounds of it. Shouldn't be an issue for a club as big as Fabric to afford it.

Back
Top Bottom