New build, usual questions :)

Associate
Hiya, about to click purchase on this build but just want to see if any of the build guru's have any input on things to change etc etc to save me some money or get more performance? It's purely for gaming. Budget was £1,500 but tbh I don't mind going over if it's worth it.

I'm getting a Corsair 750D too but it's out of stock here so getting it from a competitor unfortunately. :eek:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,526.81
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Going for a White & Black theme so if you know of a better mobo that fits that, please suggest it. :)

Soldato
The Airflow 750D is in stock and would be my choice over the standard 750D. If you really need a case that size. Or if you just love it and want it.

Total: £406.17
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Couple of boards with more white on them. Can check specs to compare and see whether you prefer any features the Gigabyte might have. For example, one feature in which MSI and Asus are better is fan control, whereas it can be a pain to get fans spinning exactly how you want through a Giga board and other solutions are often sought. Gigabyte are known to be good and fast with BIOS fixes through their forum. And seem to have faster turnaround in case RMA, although individual experiences can differ. Some MSI boards had/have issues with very fast RAM, don't know if that's been fixed for all boards. Asus boards can come with very high default voltages making things hotter till you fine-tune in the BIOS. So each has their ins and outs. Not acquainted with ASRock but some of their recent models are rated very highly by 8-Pack and others.

Other than that, I wonder if more white compnents wouldn't achieve a nicer effect combined with some white case leds, rather than going for components with white leds.

Associate
OP
Yeah I considered the Airflow but didn't like the mesh front. I had a 750D a few years ago and really loved the brushed effect to it!

Honestly, with regards to the mobo, I just want a decent BIOS from a reputable company that makes overclocking easy. I don't have many requirements after that... :p Aside from colour coordination - The white LED strips makes sense I guess, hadn't really considered that?

Associate
OP
I didn't find the visual on the PSU too bad on my old 750D tbh because everything was black anyway. I've got an Acer G277HU. Not 4k, but a very good screen.

Soldato
Yeah I considered the Airflow but didn't like the mesh front. I had a 750D a few years ago and really loved the brushed effect to it!

Honestly, with regards to the mobo, I just want a decent BIOS from a reputable company that makes overclocking easy. I don't have many requirements after that... :p Aside from colour coordination - The white LED strips makes sense I guess, hadn't really considered that?

These days I'd feel comfortable buying any motherboard from the big four, as long as the model in question didn't have a lot of negative reviews/known severe issues, and as long as I didn't need something "extra" that really expensive boards provide.

I hear you about the case, if you like you like.

Lee has a good point about the cables. Yes, full kit more expensive.

Really? I didn't even consider it having more than an 8-pin connector!

Yeah I checked on the Inno3D website too so OcUK description seems to be accurate.

Soldato
I didn't find the visual on the PSU too bad on my old 750D tbh because everything was black anyway. I've got an Acer G277HU. Not 4k, but a very good screen.

If you are fine with the visuals then stick with the extension kit.

As you are running a 1440p screen you could easily drop down to a GTX 1070. The Gigabyte G1 is a single 8 pin.

A few other cheaper parts besides the GTX 1070:

Total: £808.95
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Back
Top Bottom