Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Won't be bothering with DX12 until I get an AMD card. DX12 seems to either make no difference or make things worse with nvidia cards from what I can see. Also it is a shame that DX12 brings no graphical effects to the table, just performance.

I completed Desperate Measures the other day. It was quite obviously originally part of the main game and has been chopped out to be a pre-order exclusive. You travel everywhere by cutscene/black screen quick cuts. The mission itself was reasonably fun but seemed cut short just like the main game. Not sure why that's a "Jensen story" either - nothing about Jensen! I'll definitely be waiting for reviews on the DLC.

Yeah that's what I thought, had nothing to do with Jensen. Just purely cut for greed to call it bonus dlc. Why did they mess up so badly I don't know, they did so much better with tongs mission in HR which was essentially an extra side mission as dlc.

It is things like this that hurt MD. Hopefully they learn from it.

Soldato
Can you only use one different ammo type with weapons? I found some armor piercing rounds for my shotgun but I can't seem to load them, it only switches to EMP from regular. How do you load the armor piercing rounds?

Associate
Has everyone else's game updated to DX12....I've downloaded the latest patch, but DX12 is still greyed out??

Edit: don't worry found it under beta patches.

Last edited:
Soldato
Won't be bothering with DX12 until I get an AMD card. DX12 seems to either make no difference or make things worse with nvidia cards from what I can see. Also it is a shame that DX12 brings no graphical effects to the table, just performance.

Yeah that's what I thought, had nothing to do with Jensen. Just purely cut for greed to call it bonus dlc. Why did they mess up so badly I don't know, they did so much better with tongs mission in HR which was essentially an extra side mission as dlc.

It is things like this that hurt MD. Hopefully they learn from it.

Putting aside the circle jerk for a moment...

I don't think Desperate Measures was cut from the game for DLC because its story doesn't really add anything to the game. Sure you can say it fits in at a certain point but the outcome of the mission doesn't really progress the story. It is FAR more likely the mission was scrapped and changed to something else imo.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Putting aside the circle jerk for a moment...

I don't think Desperate Measures was cut from the game for DLC because its story doesn't really add anything to the game. Sure you can say it fits in at a certain point but the outcome of the mission doesn't really progress the story. It is FAR more likely the mission was scrapped and changed to something else imo.

Circle jerk... I had to look that one up. Okay... Lol.

Not sure how it is circle jerk when it is painfully obvious that the content in that dlc is cut from the main game. It was likely a side mission or something. Besides, what does the outcome of it got to do with anything? Most side missions the outcome makes no difference.

Either way, the point is they messed up. That piece of dlc calling it Jensen's story just makes no sense. The whole dlc just serves to remind me of publisher greed/stupidity and serves as to diminish the whole experience. But that is of course my opinion. Nothing to do circle jerk or whatever... Lol.

I am a big Deus Ex fan, it is one of my favourite franchises, hell I think I like it more than most here I even read the book. So it is sad seeing it not handled well. HR was not perfect, but it was a good return. I expected them using that experience to move forward and improve and in many ways they did. But like others I am left feeling a little disappointed at of length and quality of story missions, lack of an second big hub like Prague and the silly breach mode which adds very little to the overall package. Wish they just spent the time and effort on an extra missions and fixing bugs.

Oh and talk about not adding to the game, I feel like for the most part the whole story told does not add much to the story progression of Deus Ex, unless they were planning to make another 10 more games with Jensen, the story and characters should have been MUCH better. To me as much as I enjoyed it, I came away from it feeling like it was like a filler episode.

I am very happy CDProjekt are making Cyberpunk as it will likely put a lot of pressure on Deus Ex. It will hopefully show them what can be done and the right way to do it.

Associate
If we're gonna directly compare MD to HR, personally, I think it goes something like this:

Mankind Divided has much better gameplay - better mechanics, better augs, better stealth, better combat - it just feels better to play. Graphics are obviously better but that's a given.

Human Revolution has a much better story. People who are complaining about the length of the game are in the wrong in my opinion. MD is not a short game, it just feels short because nothing really happens to further the overarching storyline linking from HR into the original game. HR having that extra hub in Hensgha really made a difference to the globetrotting feel of the game whereas the one-off trips to Golem City (which was excellent) and GARM/London (which were very poor) just felt like add-ons to the 'Prague Show'.

I seem to remember the developers stating that the Jensen Stories would flesh out his character - it's painfully obvious that this was just a straight up lie.

What I'm hoping is that MD is simply a sort of 'set the scene' game with the next game fleshing out the overarching conspiracy story way more. I really thought I was in for a treat with this game when it started out with Lucius deBeers and Bob Page sat around a table. MORE OF THIS PLEASE IN THE NEXT GAME.

Soldato
If we're gonna directly compare MD to HR, personally, I think it goes something like this:

Mankind Divided has much better gameplay - better mechanics, better augs, better stealth, better combat - it just feels better to play. Graphics are obviously better but that's a given.

MD is not a short game, it just feels short because nothing really happens to further the overarching storyline linking from HR into the original game. HR having that extra hub in Hensgha really made a difference to the globetrotting feel of the game whereas the one-off trips to Golem City (which was excellent) and GARM/London (which were very poor) just felt like add-ons to the 'Prague Show'.

the main campaign is very short in MD, there is no getting away from that.

Associate
the main campaign is very short in MD, there is no getting away from that.

Yeah that's true actually. I was looking at it as a whole, side quests etc. I actually think Mankind Divided is a longer game if you take that into account. So technically there is more content in it - but as you say the main storyline has been left by the wayside. A real shame.

Soldato
So is there no way to use the armour piercing shotgun ammo in the shotgun?

Game reminds me of the last hobbit movie: beautiful and brilliant in parts, brain dead and stupid in others. It's good and bad.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There's a button you hold on the Xbox pad to change your gun settings in real-time inc the ammo type.

It might be 'V' on the keyboard? Can't really remember

The shooting range at TF29 goes through the controls.

Associate
I would also like you to put aside your circle jerke. Desperate measures was cut from the game because it wasn't needed in the story, it would have had to be part of the main story line.

Basically this is an alternative version of mission 5, and they both lead to the same conclusion, which is for Jensen's to go to golem city to find the bomber.

Ah well, nice of them to throw it in for us to play with as a free dlc.

circus jeak

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I would give the game a try in few combinations with DX12 and DX11

Resolution 3440 x 1440. Settings set to High Preset, Turn off Motion Blur, upped Texture Quality and Level of detail to Very High.

AMD R9 nano (1100 / 550 mhz) / 4690k (4.6 ghz)

DX11
Average: 43.6 fps
Minimum: 36.2 fps
Maximum: 55.6 fps

DX12
Average: 48.2 fps (10.5% increase)
Minimum: 38.6 fps (6.6% increase)
Maximum: 61.9 fps (11.3% increase)

GTX 1080(s) (2012 mhz / 5481 mhz) / 5960x (4.6 ghz)

Single card
DX11
Average: 52.5 fps
Minimum: 44.3 fps
Maximum: 62.2 fps

DX12
Average: 53.4 fps (1.7% increase)
Minimum: 45.7 fps (3.1% increase)
Maximum: 63.1 fps (1.4% increase)

SLI
DX11
Average: 79.6 fps
Minimum: 64.8 fps
Maximum: 94.8 fps

DX12
Average: 49.2 fps (WTF)
Minimum: 41.7 fps (WTF)
Maximum: 58.0 fps (WTF)

Overall got a nice bump for my Nano with DX12. For 1080's made no diffrence expect for SLI more where it brakes SLI and add's a small penalty over just setting it to use a single card :eek: Checking readout, card 3 was not actually increasing its clock speed when running in DX12 above idle speeds when in SLI mode.

Associate
Dx12 said in the patch notes that this version does not support multi gpu yet, that will come in the next one. But good that you tested it anyway, just in case they were lying :p

If you have time, could you do a 1080p benchmark test please? With just the single cards.

Soldato
Circle jerk... I had to look that one up. Okay... Lol.

Not sure how it is circle jerk when it is painfully obvious that the content in that dlc is cut from the main game. It was likely a side mission or something. Besides, what does the outcome of it got to do with anything? Most side missions the outcome makes no difference.

Either way, the point is they messed up. That piece of dlc calling it Jensen's story just makes no sense. The whole dlc just serves to remind me of publisher greed/stupidity and serves as to diminish the whole experience. But that is of course my opinion. Nothing to do circle jerk or whatever... Lol.

I am a big Deus Ex fan, it is one of my favourite franchises, hell I think I like it more than most here I even read the book. So it is sad seeing it not handled well. HR was not perfect, but it was a good return. I expected them using that experience to move forward and improve and in many ways they did. But like others I am left feeling a little disappointed at of length and quality of story missions, lack of an second big hub like Prague and the silly breach mode which adds very little to the overall package. Wish they just spent the time and effort on an extra missions and fixing bugs.

Oh and talk about not adding to the game, I feel like for the most part the whole story told does not add much to the story progression of Deus Ex, unless they were planning to make another 10 more games with Jensen, the story and characters should have been MUCH better. To me as much as I enjoyed it, I came away from it feeling like it was like a filler episode.

I am very happy CDProjekt are making Cyberpunk as it will likely put a lot of pressure on Deus Ex. It will hopefully show them what can be done and the right way to do it.

The whole mission is about investigating the corruption on the tapes as a lead to the bombing. How exactly is that a side mission? It's directly related to the main quest.

Sorry but circlejerk still very much applies here. First glance I thought it had been taken out but it really doesn't seem like it fits in anymore. It explains away why the tapes were corrupted but it feels like something that was created then changed because they weren't happy with the story so it was repackaged as a preorder bonus.
I mean are people really getting so hung up on the names 'Jensens Stories'?

Also Devastator Shotgun uses AP rounds.

Soldato
Dx12 said in the patch notes that this version does not support multi gpu yet, that will come in the next one. But good that you tested it anyway, just in case they were lying :p

If you have time, could you do a 1080p benchmark test please? With just the single cards.

Well that would explain why SLI is not working in DX12, teaches me to not read the release notes, was thinking I kept messing up with some settings :p

Tried with 1080p, did not notice any difference in FPS. Did have to notch all the settings to Ultra however as the 4690k was becoming a boundary for the AMD rig at the settings used for 3440 x 1440. I expect if both GPU's were in the same PC, the delta would be a lot closer!

Nano Rig

DX11
Average: 59.8 fps
Minimum: 45.2 fps
Maximum: 83.7 fps

DX12
Average: 61.2 fps
Minimum: 44.3 fps
Maximum: 78.5 fps

Did seem somewhat smoother with the nano, less fluctuation.

1080 Rig

DX11
Average: 72.9 fps
Minimum: 55.9 fps
Maximum: 87.7 fps

DX12
Average: 73.1 fps
Minimum: 55.3 fps
Maximum: 87.8 fps

No real difference.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The whole mission is about investigating the corruption on the tapes as a lead to the bombing. How exactly is that a side mission? It's directly related to the main quest.

Sorry but circlejerk still very much applies here. First glance I thought it had been taken out but it really doesn't seem like it fits in anymore. It explains away why the tapes were corrupted but it feels like something that was created then changed because they weren't happy with the story so it was repackaged as a preorder bonus.
I mean are people really getting so hung up on the names 'Jensens Stories'?

Also Devastator Shotgun uses AP rounds.

That's just like your opinion man... :)

The issue is, if it was just one thing I would not be bothered, but there are many things that they got wrong on this occasion.

End of the day circlejerk or no, it is my experience and my opinion. I think I would have had a better overall experience if there was no breach and no desperate measures included to be honest. Felt like a waste of time and resources which could have been used on the main story.

I am sure many will not agree with that but that is my opinion, so you won't get circlejerk sauce all over you on this one :p:D

Back
Top Bottom