• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Soldato
Nice lets hope this is the driver to fix freesync issue.

Just noticed, mouse issue on this driver in the known issues.
A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
Upgrading from a previous Radeon Software Crimson Edition version may cause user settings in Radeon Settings to reset to defaults.
OpenCL applications may run initially on integrated graphics if they are present. Make sure to set the application to the correct device you would like to use.
Radeon Settings information tab may report incorrect Open CL or Mantle versions.
Radeon Software installer may report driver uninstallation failed even when it was successful.
No Man's Sky™ some minor corruption may be experienced when standing close to solid structures inside of caves.
Mouse cursor corruption may be experienced very intermittently on the Radeon RX 480.
DOTA2™ may experience an application hang when using the Vulkan™ API and changing resolution or game/quality settings.
Ashes of the Singularity™ may experience an application crash with "crazy" in game settings and Multi-GPU enabled.

Associate
Anyone tested MD with Dx12 on a Fury ?, as apparently they aren't supported, so can't run it.

Well I can select DX12 with Fury X. But game crashes when Gaming Evolved log should pop in, and it crashes steam aswell.

Nm, got it running. Dunno which made the trick, disabling afterburner during launch, or simply setting graphics settings again from prelaunch menu.

Last edited:
Associate
Amd have had this problem since gcn 1.1, it ****es me off, it's to do with 2d clocks p-state switching, and effectively how the memory voltage is applied when the 2d load changes. It's why people think turning off hardware acceleration is the cure, when it's not it just means the cpu is decoding the video. 60hz or single screen 60hz doesn't require the memory clocks to bump up, but dual screen or 144hz will.

Does us a favour do some screen prints of gpu-z of your screen/s and when set to 60hz and 144hz. I'd like to see if the memory clocks raise to full speed when over 60hz.

Thanks for that info.

I don't have screen caps for you, but both 60 Hz and 144 Hz (1440p single screen) allow the mem clocks to sit at 300 MHz, but extending the desktop onto a second screen bumps them to the maximum, solidly. Duplicating the desktop doesn't raise the clocks at 1080p60 (that's the limit of my second monitor).

Associate
Actually my problems running deus ex was with new afterburner version. If I have it enabled when I start the game, it crashes during gaming evolved title. But I can enable it during game no problem.

Edit:
Having afterburner running when starting game under DX12 doesn't seem to be the problem, but having OSD toggled on during Gaming evolved title is. So if you having this problem, toggle OSD of when launching game, and turn it on during game works fine (for me atleast)

Last edited:
Associate
Just updated to 16.9.1 and as expected it got rid of my Custom Resolutions in CRU, so I run the patcher again, run CRU, restart my PC. However then going back to Display Adapter settings only 60hz is showing up.

I even tried the custom resolution settings in Crimson and got something along the lines of 'Your monitor doesn't support this setting'

It's been running at 96hz since I got my Qnix so no idea what's going on.

Any ideas would be great.

Soldato
Is it something that triggers this glitch? Since owning Amd I never had this happen to me? I only use single display, used 60hz, 120hz and 144hz. Games on a lot of different display resolution over the years. Even crossfire.

Too the guys that have had this what is your system specs?

It happens all the time with this RX480. At first thought it was down to google chrome, but it wasn't switching to edge for a few days caused it too. Then i thought it was down to youtube (edge and chrome), it wasn't. Then i thought it was World of warships, or rather me constantly alt tabbing out of it, but it wasn't. It literally happens ALL THE TIME. :(

What causes it so far:

Chrome (and any webpage)
Edge (and any webpage)
Freesync on and off
World of Warships
Prison Architect
Hearts of Iron 4
Alt tabbing greatly increases the frequency it happens

What doesn't seem to cause it:
iRacing
PC off :p;)

Specs:
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
16gb 2400mhz ram
Asus P8Z77
Sapphire Reference Card with EKWB watercooling, max temp 50c (avg mid 30s) so not that
Asus Zonar Soundcard
Win10 64bit

Soldato
Just updated to 16.9.1 and as expected it got rid of my Custom Resolutions in CRU, so I run the patcher again, run CRU, restart my PC. However then going back to Display Adapter settings only 60hz is showing up.

I even tried the custom resolution settings in Crimson and got something along the lines of 'Your monitor doesn't support this setting'

It's been running at 96hz since I got my Qnix so no idea what's going on.

Any ideas would be great.

If you're running the CRU tool rather than custom resolution in Crimson then if you click the tab at the top where your monitor is displayed then you ought to see the previous settings available via dropdown

if there are no resolutions available other than current it means the registry settings have been cleared so you'll have to re-enter them, DDU will do this

Once you get it set correct you can export the settings to a file via the "Export" button and import at a later date if the registry does happen to get cleared

Associate
If you're running the CRU tool rather than custom resolution in Crimson then if you click the tab at the top where your monitor is displayed then you ought to see the previous settings available via dropdown

if there are no resolutions available other than current it means the registry settings have been cleared so you'll have to re-enter them, DDU will do this

Once you get it set correct you can export the settings to a file via the "Export" button and import at a later date if the registry does happen to get cleared

I've reset and re-entered all the info into CRU which looks like;

Tz8M5Qx.jpg

And even after restart only 60hz shows.

Edit:

Must be an AMD driver issue, after uninstalling everything via DDU and fresh reinstall the new drivers, I can't patch using Pixel Clock Patcher, says something about unable to locate driver location.

Last edited:
Soldato
16.9.1 drivers, clean install after using DDU and uninstalling Sapphire Trixx.

I know it's an old demo with a "dirty" DX12 integration, but is anyone seeing a lot of blue and purple flickering in the DX12 version of the UT Elemental demo?

The DX11 version absolutely flies!

Not seen Chrome flickering yet, or had the black screen followed by reboot, but I still have hardware acceleration off in Chrome 64 options.

Associate
excellent.

My eyes automatically drawn to this, fingers crossed again this is the fix

having freesync enabled on desktop via a bug has stopped freesync display corruption from occuring on the aoc g2460pf can we leave that one in there please, the minor annoyance of desktop flicker is fine compared to display corruption....
AMDMatt, can you get someone to look into this please, ive reported it enough sodding times..

Last edited:
Soldato
Copied and pasted from the Deus Ex thread in the games forum. Of interest to this thread...

Well I'm happy with the DX 12 patch. I too noticed the shadows seem deeper than before - looks significantly better. I'm running a Fury X at 3440x1440 and still on Crimson 16.8.2 drivers and have the following settings...

I start with the High settings pre-set then change:
- Texture quality to Ultra
- turn off Motion Blur (cause I don't like it and worth 3-4 FPS)
- increase AO to Very High
- increase Level of Detail to Very High.

Previously the benchmark with DX11 was:

Average FPS: 40.2
Min FPS: 22.3
Max FPS 52.6

With DX 12 and the same settings I now bench:

Average FPS: 42.7
Min FPS: 33.4
Max FPS 54.8

It's all about keeping the frame rates within the freesync range (30 - 75 FPS) for me so delighted the minimum frames aren't dropping below 30.

Might try the latest drivers later to see if that makes a difference...

Edit: just installed 16.9.1 drivers - now getting a 5.6 increase on average FPS and 16 FPS on the minimum compared to DX11:

Average FPS: 45.8
Min FPS: 38.3
Max FPS 57.7

Happy days! So long stutters...

Soldato
Looks like a nice gain on Minimums in Deus EX with DX12, and the new driver ups them even more.

I found the same with the Battlefield 1 demo; DX12 max FPS dropped, but my Minimums improved by around 12 fps, resulting in a much better overall experience.

Associate
16.9.1 showing incredible improvements in DX11 what a beast driver!!! this is good stuff. I had trouble with the dota 2 crossfire profile but I think it was something I did specific. BO3 / new NFS running exceptional now !! huge FPS increase!!

Associate
These drivers are first WDDM 2.1 drivers from AMD. Might be a reason why there is some boost in DX11 drawcall throughput aswell.

Additions in WDDM 2.1:

-Shader Model 6.0
-DXGI 1.5 which supports HDR10 and variable refresh rates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom