PlayStation VR / VR2

Soldato
So, we're about 5 weeks out from the October 13th launch of the PS VR headset. Who has it preordered? What games are you looking forward to? Have you tried it or do you have concerns about it? I know there is a Sony press event tomorrow but they have been fairly quiet about it in mainstream press so it is interesting to see what comes to light over the next month or so.

For myself, I have it preordered on Amazon. I stupidly cancelled my preorder and replaced it early August, so I may miss the launch day delivery window, but looking forward to it nonetheless :)

Soldato
I'm very interested in this- The PC VR alternatives are just too expensive to justify really, and I would hope that the PS4 VR experience is taylored to be 'good enough' for every game, instead of having to change settings to get the desired frame rates.

To be honest though, short of trying it out and being immediately hooked, I will probably wait until the next wave of headsets.

Soldato
OP
To be fair, I've just found out we're expecting our first child, otherwise a new PC and Vive was on my list. I'm now making do with the PS VR but the things I've read are quite good, especially the subpixel layout of the display reducing screen door effect.

Soldato
I doubt the PS4 will be up to the task and VR is the main reason why the PS4.5 exists.

Agreed. I think it will be too much for the average person if the requirement is a PS4.5 and the VR headset. Personally I can't see it selling much outside of the tech enthusiast crowd.

Interested to see what it does bring but I personally I can't see myself buying into it.

Soldato
Going to wait and see what it's like and what titles are available. I expect the experience will be pretty good, Sony will be super-tight on their certification requirements for it...which is going to mean making the most of simpler visuals but there's still plenty of scope for some good gameplay.

Soldato
To be fair, I've just found out we're expecting our first child, otherwise a new PC and Vive was on my list. I'm now making do with the PS VR but the things I've read are quite good, especially the subpixel layout of the display reducing screen door effect.

congratulations!

Soldato
I doubt the PS4 will be up to the task and VR is the main reason why the PS4.5 exists.

Isnt The PSVR shipped with a breakout box I believe that is not only for connectivity but helps sync the VR screens with less latency reducing the overheads on the actual console? :confused:

Anyway I have preordered and looking forward to it. I am looking forward to gaming in VR, Playing games on a Virtual big screen as well as watching movies on a virtual monster screen.

Oh and as I was watching Tron Legacy the other night I thought to myself, I REALLY hope someone is working on a VR Version with Light Cycle Battles. :D

Associate
Isnt The PSVR shipped with a breakout box I believe that is not only for connectivity but helps sync the VR screens with less latency reducing the overheads on the actual console? :confused:

The breakout box only really does a couple of things - it takes the already warped and rendered image and splits/unwarps the image to display correctly on a TV. Aside from that, it does nothing else image/rendering wise.

The box also processes 3D audio.

Soldato
Can you imagine a GTA game in VR? Omg :cool:

Maybe in a few years time, everything I've tried in VR so far has been pretty basic. That said if anyone can push it to a mainstream audience it will be Sony.

I was hoping that the VR headsets would make for a good cinema experience, get the effect of a massive screen at home. Apparently the resolutions are too low at the minute but something I'd like to try in the future.

Caporegime
Maybe in a few years time, everything I've tried in VR so far has been pretty basic. That said if anyone can push it to a mainstream audience it will be Sony.

I was hoping that the VR headsets would make for a good cinema experience, get the effect of a massive screen at home. Apparently the resolutions are too low at the minute but something I'd like to try in the future.

I watch most of my films on the Samsung headset. Obviously the quality is nowhere near as good as what I'd get on my TV but I just love the whole cinema experience. It's awesome. I can only imagine how good the Playstation headset will be compared to what I'm used to.

Associate
I watch most of my films on the Samsung headset. Obviously the quality is nowhere near as good as what I'd get on my TV but I just love the whole cinema experience. It's awesome. I can only imagine how good the Playstation headset will be compared to what I'm used to.

Totally get what you say on that, Watched plenty of films on my gear VR and can't wait to get a proper headset with a good screen + power of a ps4 vs just using a phone to power it

Soldato
They said it'll run on PS4 hardware, so to most people it will just be a £349 purchase.

I just cant imagine the image quality being sharp enough not to bug me, ive heard the term blurry thrown about a few times in previews etc

I imagine it will be a good first step in to vr but will take a few iterations to really nail it

Caporegime
I just cant imagine the image quality being sharp enough not to bug me, ive heard the term blurry thrown about a few times in previews etc

I imagine it will be a good first step in to vr but will take a few iterations to really nail it

It would be nice if early adopters didn't get hit for over £300 every time they make an improvement on it though. If it is something that will have lots of upgrades, then there should be an upgrade programme for it.

Back
Top Bottom