** The iOS10 thread **

Man of Honour
More has changed than I was expecting, the new notifications system etc is interesting.

Will take a bit of getting used to.

Associate
Updated. All good. (iPhone 6)

1.I updated iTunes (that took 40 plus mins)
2.Plugged iPhone 6 in USB3
3.downloaded file (about 2.66 gb, other stuff perhaps too) 50 mins
4.updated phone after download. 20 mins

Then was asked to update my carrier. All done. Only just finished at 22.50, but like the "swipe right" for camera:)

Will test it now to see if it lags or something, or perhaps it'll be faster. :eek:

Soldato
Updated 6S and iPad Air 2. Zippier on unlock but generally no more than marginally snappier elsewhere. Messages are now a complete mess. So cluttered with stuff for the kids. Haven't really noticed much else yet other than the time is justified left on the lock screen.

Oh, and the lock screen font is now heavier. Don't like that - no need on a high resolution screen. It looks childish.

Last edited:
Associate
ipad air updated fine but iPhone 6s plus threw a wobbly and wanted iTunes to put it right.Plugged into (latest) version of iTunes and all was well. seeing the differences I should have stayed on 9. 3 whatever.

Soldato
Got there in the end. Mine bricked on the initial over air update, then took an age for itunes to download what it needed to, it then returned to 9, then did 10 again over the air which worked fine second time.
Liking ios10 but not blown away by it. The messaging stuff is all a little meh (ie fun for 10 minutes) but lock screen is good.

Soldato
Absolutely HATE the lock screen!! Why! Why change the slide to unlock, why not give people the option. This damn Touch ID crap hardly ever works first time. Certainly isn't quicker if that's the intent.

Commissario
OP
Absolutely HATE the lock screen!! Why! Why change the slide to unlock, why not give people the option. This damn Touch ID crap hardly ever works first time. Certainly isn't quicker if that's the intent.
What device are you using? The only time Touch ID doesn't work for me is if my finger is damp. Otherwise it's always instant, far quicker than slide/PIN.

Man of Honour
Slide and PIN is handy if you're out running or cycling, as your hands are always sweaty. It'll annoy me I'm sure.

I don't think iOS10 is faster, I think it appears to be faster due to the animation changes. It's a lot more snap and pop now rather than the kind of aero effect we've been used it.

Notifications and widgets will take some getting used to. I'm glad I can remove some Apple apps that I don't use but not all. Activity for example, I don't have an Apple Watch anymore!

Soldato
All downloaded and working fine for me, a couple minor things though:

- Where are all the new emoji?
- When playing a playlist in the new music app it only plays the first track then repeats, I cant find how to turn repeat off, does anyone know?

Man of Honour
I have a Parrot in it, maybe it's that. But as I locked the door and walked away, I looked at my phone and it said something like 'maps has marked your car's location at xxx'. I lol'd.

Soldato
All downloaded and working fine for me, a couple minor things though:

- When playing a playlist in the new music app it only plays the first track then repeats, I cant find how to turn repeat off, does anyone know?

When playing a song, click on it at the bottom of the screen, it will then full screen, scroll down slightly and see if your repeat icon is there.

Commissario
OP
Oh and how did it know where I parked my car? :D
That's what I'm trying to find out!
OK, a bit more investigation shows that if you have your phone connected to a car radio using bluetooth, it realises when you disconnect that you've parked. It doesn't need Carplay, it just knows that you're using bluetooth for calls/music and I can only guess that it links that with movement.

So, it detects you've stopped. It detects you've disconnected from bluetooth devices for calls/music and from that, decides that you've parked and drops the appropriate pin in the map.

Quite clever really.

Back
Top Bottom