Painting galvanised garage door

Mat

Mat

Soldato
My garage door needs a new coat but I'm not sure whether I need to strip the old paint or whether I can go straight over it with a new coat.

I know I need to wash it down thoroughly but do I need to undercoat it all or just the areas where the old paint has flaked off?

MPiI0Jv.jpg.png

Also, can anyone recommend a good undercoat and paint?

Commissario
As it's peeling you'll probably need to strip it pretty much completely to get a good coverage and reasonable look with the new paint, which from personal experience is not fun although "biostrip"* may let you do it far easier than I managed when I had to do one.
It looks like it's bubbling/lifted in all the recesses from that picture, so by the time you've dealt with those areas your might as well completely strip it.

You'll need a good primer for galvanised steel, and then a decent garage door paint.

*An absolutely wonderful paint stripper that is water soluble and non toxic but seems to do better than nitromore despite being safe to handle and not affecting plastic.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I was hoping I could get away with just priming the flaky bits :/

How long does biostrip take to work?

Soldato
Painted my garage doors just under a year ago. Your door looks a bit like mine before I started :D

Wire brush all of the loose paint off & sand the sound paint to give the new coat a good surface to bond to.

I did a bit of research of on what paint to prime it with. Some said red oxide but I was going to use a light coloured paint, soooo.... I bought this primer.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-bulls-eye-1-2-3-primer-sealer-1ltr/10135

Its good stuff. Dries quickly so you can put a topcoat on the same day if the weathers right. Used a Exterior gloss paint (Wickes paint is good) A year later looks OK, Which reminds me, I must put another top coat of paint on them.....:rolleyes:

Soldato
No point wasting money on expensive undercoat and paint if you're just going over the top of that green paint. Looks like whoever did it just slapped some paint over the old stuff with no prep.

Back
Top Bottom