• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacing old CPU for new, different socket number

Man of Honour
I've tried searching but can't find a reliable answer, and don't want to risk buying an unsuitable CPU, so would be very grateful for guidance.

I have a Phenom 9950, which is socket AM2+, in an Asus board of similar age. I want to put this machine back in to use incurring as little cost as possible, but also to make it 100% fanless, and therefore need to replace the CPU due to its high TDP.

Could I put any of the currently available AMD CPU socket types in to this board, i.e. AM1, AM3+, FM2, FM2+

Man of Honour
OP
It would be doing office work, playing music, and in theory - occasionally - playing some old RPG/strategy games, but nothing from this decade.

It has to be a 100% silent rig though, as will be sitting about 50cm from my right ear. Therefore needs to be a low TDP that I can passively cool. Research indicates the existing Phenom 9950 has either 125W or 140W, so must go. :(

Associate
^What he said. The CPUs that you can put on that board pretty much all suck, to be honest with you.

You don't need full passive to make a silent machine. You can run fans at extremely low RPM and not be able to hear anything if you have a relatively quiet case.

Soldato
You have some options with a 45 W TDP. It might be possible to passively cool that. I would recommend at least a silent (OK, imperceptibly quiet) fan though.

There are some low-power Athlon IIs at 45 W, the most powerful being the Athlon II X4 615e. They're a bit rare though so go for £30-40.

At the 65 W point you have some low-power Phenom IIs, e.g. the Phenom II X4 910E (£30-50).

My advice though would be underclock/volt your 9950, or get a cheap Phenom II and underclock/volt that. £30-40 should get a Phenom II X4 8xx or 9xx.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks to everybody for their time & assistance. :)

I found a AD605EHDK42GI on the auction site, which is a quad-core with a stock speed of 2.3GHz, and a TDP of 45W. It'll go in with a silent copper monster known as a Nofan CR-80EH, good for cooling up to 80W or so it claims...

Man of Honour
OP
My advice though would be underclock/volt your 9950

I did consider doing that, but my (amateur) way of viewing it was that by reducing its performance I'd be bringing it down to about the same level as a lesser chip, but introducing a risk of me screwing it up with the settings and frying the chip.

A bit of research showed there wasn't much in it between my existing one and the one coming, in terms of benchmarks. Don't tell anybody in Members Market that though, when I rock up there one day with a 9950 to flog. :D

Man of Honour
OP
You'll still probably need a fan on the case to keep up a bit of air movement.

What an odd design for a cooler!

Found a detailed review (in foreign!)

http://www.forcca.com/xe/preview/195288

As the review says, the important thing is:

CR-80EH로 모델명의 80은 제품이 감당할 수 있는 TDP인 80W를 의미하는 것 같습니다.

I think the idea with the design is a basic 'get that bloody heat away to anywhere but here' :D

Soldato
Case cooling will have more of an impact than trying to change cpu/find a passive cooler. I run a 65W TDP cpu, passive adapted graphics card and passive PSU, with 4x 3.5" hard drives all foam/elastic mounted in a case 30cm away from where I sleep, the only fans in the system are 2 at the front pushing air in running so slow I have to give them a poke if the PC loses power to get them going. The system was fine with one fan but the PSU wasn't quite getting enough air, although it ran like that for 2 months. The only noise I get is a faint hum from a hard drive as the elastic is about 18 months old and needs replacing with foam. Make sure the case you are planning to use can either add air or remove air effectively. To run quietly I'd want 2 120mm fans in the front pushing air in at 5v (use drive bays if needed) and run the rest passively.

Back
Top Bottom