What is the average mark up on four court

Associate
Just as a matter of interest what is the avg mark up on cars on a standard four court
I would imagine it to be at least 30%

What are the drawbacks from buying at an Auction?

Caporegime
Crikey. Enough variables to make Hawking cry.

New? Used? Main dealer? Indy? Premium? Van? Runabout?

Auction you never know what you're gonna get. Loads of cars from WeBuyAnyCar and whatnot so although you could get a great deal, you could also end up with a written off Celica GT.

Soldato
I would imagine it to be at least 30%

Not even close.... Your standard "normal" cars (Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Fabia, Passat, Fiesta etc) will have around £1500 across them (purchase price vs selling price)

Bear in mind, the dealer pays VAT on any profit and also money to recondition the car (mechanical and cosmetic) so this comes off as well

The days of huge metal profits are gone... Most of the money is made in Finance and Insurance products....

Last edited:
Soldato
I think they may have to say if a car doesn't run or is written off at an auction. But thats about it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pick a car and get the trade value here

http://glass.co.uk/

As mentioned, at an auction if it is broken you can't return the car or get it fixed for free.

Doesn't seem to value all cars this site. It doesn't recognise my plate and I can't select my car from the list. In fact loads of performance marques seem to be missing. :confused:

Soldato
When I bought my ST for 5k last year most traders were charging 6k by me for the exact same thing so I drove 120 miles to York and saved a good amount :p
Having been looking for cars again lately it's shocking how few private sales there are now they are nearly all traders with big mark ups on the prices it's a joke. I'm not willing to pay silly forecourt prices if I'm a cash buyer!
I just have this image that most independent traders buy crap from auctions to sell on and the warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on most of the time.

Soldato
I'm yet to experience one! Most want to sell them on silly finance packages and won't budge for cash buyers imo. A few I did go and browse cars at would offer bugger all off.
A dealer once let my friend walk away arguing over £100 on a 8k 3 series! He knocked £300 off £8000 and let him walk away with his cash for the sake of not knocking another ton off.

Soldato
Doesn't seem to value all cars this site. It doesn't recognise my plate and I can't select my car from the list. In fact loads of performance marques seem to be missing. :confused:

Same, I tried my reg which doesn't always work as its had a private plate on previously and Porsche is missing entirely.

Soldato
We try and do £1300 at my place. On average, we make around £850 on the metal after all the work has been done. Then there's the VAT, wages, and other over heads off that.

On a brand new car, around £300.

Man of Honour
A few months ago, I spotted a Cayman being sold privately for around £20,000. A few days later, the same car was being sold by a dealer for £23,000. 15% in this case.

Not an OPC I am guessing? They would look for a much larger margin. It really depends on the car OP, vary variable based on demand too.

Permabanned
Being a boring sod, i had a wander over to my local BCA auction last week, my old company car was going to through there, and i was intrigued to see how much it would fetch at auction, lex wanted 10.4k for me to buy it direct from them, at auction it went for 9.1k. I would expect the car to be sold for around 13k (91k miles Avant TDI with twinkly lights and few olther options).

I felt most cars were quite pricey considering its a trade auction, so the mark up cant be all that much, i guess its all about the volume. Merc A180 CDI and BMW 118D were being snapped up like there was no tomorrow, same for any SUV type motor.

Back
Top Bottom