Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Went and test drove a Golf R today and left thoroughly disappointed :( Stopped in at BMW and had a look at the 3 series Touring, X1 and X3 (which I didn't expect to like so much), but it was when I got into the new A4 Avant again that my face really lit up. I really, really love that car.

Went for a quick blast around the roundabouts in a 190BHP diesel S-Tronic and it was certainly nippier than the 150BHP model that I had as a loan car. The B&O sound system is awesome, although perhaps not quite as awesome as the Harmon Kardon I had in my M135i. The car is so, so quiet and rides extremely well on the standard S-line suspension. The 7 speed S-Tronic box is a whole league above the 6 speed in the Golf R which can feel quite dimwitted at times.

Suffice to say, I am very interested in getting one but I want to test drive the 190BHP 2.0T petrol engine first. The diesel is so much better than the 2.0 TDi B8.5 A4 I had last week, and my girlfriend said that the car felt like an electric model because at idle and whilst parking you cannot even tell that the engine is running. I'll probably have to get the diesel if I want an Approved Used car, but I don't think it'll be too much of a compromise.

I honestly thought that on paper the Golf R Estate was "the one" because it combined practicality and sportiness, but the interior is a real let down. Going from a 300BHP AWD model to a 190BHP FWD one is a little odd, but I think that the engine is probably less important than the ride and overall quality.

Soldato
The S4 is STILL in the garage. They told me 2 days ago the clutch was changed, but it also needed a clutch cylinder, too. They changed that and called me today saying that something isn't right as it's still not engaging gears and they'd need to investigate more.

FFS. Shoot me now.
Mate at work wife audi just came out from the garage last week due to some problem with the gears..

He said the problem on his wife audi was due to a faulty sensor which cost £1500 for just the sensor :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
My new A6 Avant is now ordered! Now for the long wait until I can drive my new car :)

Went and test drove a Golf R today and left thoroughly disappointed :( Stopped in at BMW and had a look at the 3 series Touring, X1 and X3 (which I didn't expect to like so much), but it was when I got into the new A4 Avant again that my face really lit up. I really, really love that car.

Went for a quick blast around the roundabouts in a 190BHP diesel S-Tronic and it was certainly nippier than the 150BHP model that I had as a loan car. The B&O sound system is awesome, although perhaps not quite as awesome as the Harmon Kardon I had in my M135i. The car is so, so quiet and rides extremely well on the standard S-line suspension. The 7 speed S-Tronic box is a whole league above the 6 speed in the Golf R which can feel quite dimwitted at times.

Suffice to say, I am very interested in getting one but I want to test drive the 190BHP 2.0T petrol engine first. The diesel is so much better than the 2.0 TDi B8.5 A4 I had last week, and my girlfriend said that the car felt like an electric model because at idle and whilst parking you cannot even tell that the engine is running. I'll probably have to get the diesel if I want an Approved Used car, but I don't think it'll be too much of a compromise.

I honestly thought that on paper the Golf R Estate was "the one" because it combined practicality and sportiness, but the interior is a real let down. Going from a 300BHP AWD model to a 190BHP FWD one is a little odd, but I think that the engine is probably less important than the ride and overall quality.

I saw a 66 plate A4 Avant on the motorway today, looked the absolute dogs ********. I think Audi are hitting it out of the park with their new cars recently.

Soldato
Been told December by two separate dealers which I'd be very happy with. Not going to be surprised if I have to wait until next year though.
Guessing it would be much better to get it in January then it be a 2017 model for far better value when it comes to selling it..

Plus it be much nicer knowing you own a 2017 car instead of a 2016 car..

Last edited:
Permabanned

I looked at the new A4 avant, coming from the old one, it wasnt different enough for me, and for some reason Audi have jacked up the options prices. I wish they had altered the design a little more, but i guess thats not what Audi are about, interior is best in class now, apart from the stupid stuck on screen!

Soldato
I looked at the new A4 avant, coming from the old one, it wasnt different enough for me, and for some reason Audi have jacked up the options prices. I wish they had altered the design a little more, but i guess thats not what Audi are about, interior is best in class now, apart from the stupid stuck on screen!

The refinement of the B9 over the B8/B8.5 is night and day. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a brand new (63 miles) B8.5 loan car last week and it honestly felt like driving a tractor by comparison. The entire car vibrated at idle, and the steering was ridiculously over-assisted. Literally no feeling whatsoever.

It's not dramatically different from the outside, but I don't think anyone could argue that it's not prettier. As you say, the cabin is next-level.

I spec'd a 190PS petrol S-Tronic Avant last night on Broadspeed and it came to ~£36k after discount. That's admittedly a lot of money, but in order to get adaptive cruise control (Driver Assistance Pack) you have to spec the Technology Pack which is very annoying. It's a slippery slope from there, because if you're forced to spec the Tech Pack then you may as well include the Virtual Cockpit for £450. It's equally annoying that in order to get dimming side mirrors you have to choose electric memory seats for ~£800.

I'm not that bothered about the Tech Pack and Virtual Cockpit, but I can't compromise on the Adaptive Cruise Control :( I think if I was forced to choose only 3 options (excluding paint), then I'd get ACC, B&O and heated seats.

Permabanned
The refinement of the B9 over the B8/B8.5 is night and day. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a brand new (63 miles) B8.5 loan car last week and it honestly felt like driving a tractor by comparison. The entire car vibrated at idle, and the steering was ridiculously over-assisted. Literally no feeling whatsoever.

It's not dramatically different from the outside, but I don't think anyone could argue that it's not prettier. As you say, the cabin is next-level.

I spec'd a 190PS petrol S-Tronic Avant last night on Broadspeed and it came to ~£36k after discount. That's admittedly a lot of money, but in order to get adaptive cruise control (Driver Assistance Pack) you have to spec the Technology Pack which is very annoying. It's a slippery slope from there, because if you're forced to spec the Tech Pack then you may as well include the Virtual Cockpit for £450. It's equally annoying that in order to get dimming side mirrors you have to choose electric memory seats for ~£800.

I'm not that bothered about the Tech Pack and Virtual Cockpit, but I can't compromise on the Adaptive Cruise Control :( I think if I was forced to choose only 3 options (excluding paint), then I'd get ACC, B&O and heated seats.

I had a 62 ref for 4 years, and my loaner 16 reg wasn't all that different at all, the same lifeless steering, both as refined as each other ime. You must have had a duffer! Like I said its not all that different if your coming from the previous generation, don't get me wrong it's a nice looking car, you'll be pretty happy with for a good few years. I'd definitely have the uprated audio. I had B&o in my old car and it was fantastic.

Soldato
I had a 62 ref for 4 years, and my loaner 16 reg wasn't all that different at all, the same lifeless steering, both as refined as each other ime. You must have had a duffer! Like I said its not all that different if your coming from the previous generation, don't get me wrong it's a nice looking car, you'll be pretty happy with for a good few years. I'd definitely have the uprated audio. I had B&o in my old car and it was fantastic.

It's not a car that's ever going to set a petrolhead's world on fire, but I really can't remember the B9's steering being as bad as the B8.5, and I put about 2500 miles on that car.

I've been threatened with certain death by SWMBO that this a "at least 5 years" car, so I have to get it right the first time :)

Soldato
I have also driven both, and of similar ages, and, as thewanted states, it is like night and day. The b8 is akin to driving a old fashioned barge whereas the b9 is better than my A3 saloon. The overall refinement, quality of materials and the equipment makes the b8 old, very old.

Soldato
S4 is still in the garage, I'm going to the garage this afternoon with the hope it's back together, but hey, not holding out much hope.

A friend of ours has lent us their Citroen C3 which must be newer than my S4 (can't tell with French plates...) but my lord it's not only primitive but a crap car lol I am obviously appreciative of the car though, it's meant I can go and get shopping without more and more hire cars.

Soldato
Got the S4 back. :) Clutch is fitted, all working, great. New ARBs fitted too, some Hotchkiss RS4 ones, so that's way more fun round roundabouts now!

Got home though and it's steaming like a good'un out the driver's side Aux radiator (I suspected it was leaking when I had the bumper off a few months back fixing the alternator belt.) so I've just ordered a new one of those and I'll get them to fit that too.

Hopefully then... haha

jbs

jbs

Associate
For anyone who's bought a brand new car from Audi recently, how long roughly did yours sit at the port (UK side) before the transporter got it to the dealership?

Two months ago ,mine took about 5 days. However I've read the SLA is 10 days with the transport companies.

Back
Top Bottom