Need help with new build - (been a while)

Associate
Hi,

Been a long time since I have owned a PC but the days of my Imac are growing short and fed up with gaming on PS4/XBOX one.

I already have a 1080 at home and have ordered a Predator X34A 34". I also have a keyboard and mouse.

Main use is for gaming and photo editing (a lot of editing with Photoshop/Lightroom).

Looking to spend about £1k on rest of build. looking for a plain case, quiet and hopefully white, not really interested in window.

Drives I'm only looking for SSD/M.2 (not sure the difference) but currently only use 50gb for my photos and probably 200gb for games, but I can expand as I need, so 500gb or 1tb of drives will be enough for now with room to expand.

I imagine this pc will last me for 3-4 years with the possibility of getting another 1080 down the line.

Any help would be great! I have no idea on Mobo etc as I can see price difference of £00's but I am unsure as to what the extra buck with buy me. Also with M.2. and ssd I have no idea which work with what?

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £936.52
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Fast M.2 for boot drive, Photoshop & a few games, then 1TB HDD for photo's & other games.

Spec should be good for years without needing to upgrade so no need to spend any more than that IMHO

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply. This maybe a stupid question as its been a while...
Do I need more than 16gb ram?
Should I get quad channel or dual channel?
Is 650w enough for me to upgrade to a sli 1080 in the future.
Looking at all the m.2 I can see some that say pcie x4, which seem to be faster (saw a Samsung for 500gb and £200) would these work with this config?
Sorry for all the questions

Associate
No benefit at all in going quad channel on Skylake, so better to go with 16GB in dual channel and leave 2 spare in case you wish to add more RAM in the future, although 16GB should be more than enough for gaming & Photoshop.

A 1080 shouldn't draw 250W so unless you're planning on putting 3 of them in SLI then a 650W PSU is plenty, and even with 3 it should cope. Even with both GPU's and the CPU maxed in demanding games it shouldn't come close to the 650W max of the PSU.

Yep, if you swapped the M.2 for a larger / faster Samsung one it would be absolutely fine.

Always better to ask than to buy the wrong components and be left skint and disappointed :)

Associate
The case comes with 2 x 120mm fans but you could always add a couple more if it starts running a bit hot. Personally I'd place both of the supplied fans as exhaust (1 top, 1 rear) and put 2 more fans as induction in the front. Can run the fans slower and quieter then whilst also achieving better cooling.

Always worth getting some decent quality paste for the CPU, but you should have all the cables needed included with the Motherboard and PSU :)

Last edited:
Associate
Any 120mm's really, but you do get what you pay for. Most on here recommend Noctua's but I've found that Noiseblocker e-Loop fans or Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition's to also be pretty decent when it comes to performance > noise :)

Associate
Unfortunately it looks like that cooler is 5mm too tall. Case specs state a max of 160mm, the one in my original post just squeezes in at 158mm but the Noctua is 165mm tall

Associate
Not really, looks pretty much spot on from here! Only extra bit of advice I'd give is to put the latest BIOS (Available here) for the motherboard onto a USB stick and follow the instructions in the manual to update it before installing Windows, as I think some of the old BIOS's had issues with M.2 drives. I have this board and an M.2 myself though so can confirm it's faultless once the firmware has been updated :)

Associate
OP
Associate
They're good coolers, but they will have a shorter life span than a normal air cooler and being liquid there is always that (extremely small) possibility of a leak. They're kind of a half way house between normal air cooling and proper water cooling really. Unless you're planning on overclocking the CPU to quite a high level I'd stick with the normal air cooler, although I'm sure others will disagree :p

Back
Top Bottom