Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade

Associate
OP
Okay, Behaviour have announced an 'upgrade pack' of sorts for the 'Free to Waaagh' players.

"For Under the war call of “Da biggast WAAAGH! Eva”, the brutal Ork forces are gathering in the Segmentum Obscurum ready to fall on the Kharon System. Join them and get your share of loot and glory. Get your Pioneer starter pack today and start looting Arkhona before the massive core of the green tide hits the planet.

As a Free to WAAAGH! Ork, you will have the full and complete access to the core of the Ork units: Loota, Shoota and Choppa boyz. In addition you will be able to spawn and use, on a daily basis, an Ork Warbike and an Ork Trukk. The rest of the Ork progression will be unlockable through the store at your discretion. You will be able to unlock the classes and vehicles you want according to your gameplay preferences.
Boost your Free to Play Experience

Boost your free to play experience and join the Founder’s group with this pack. In addition to the items and bonuses included in the pack, you can play a closer role in the production of Eternal Crusade by taking part in the discussions with the development team."

You can pick up the Ork Pioneer Pack here.

At first I was pretty skeptical about this. It doesn't really seem to offer much...a unique helmet and gun...some extra in-game currency...hmm...mildely tempting.

Then somebody pointed me to this article on MMORPG

"As some consolation, if Pioneers wish to, they can purchase additional Rogue Trader Points, and if their RTP total should reach or exceed forty thousand, they will be automatically upgraded to a full game key, getting access to all the features and factions available in Eternal Crusade."

Which actually makes the bundle a bit more attractive. Remains to be seen if there will be similar bundles for the other factions.

Associate
New stream this Friday:

source.jpg

Hey Crusaders!

Please join us this Friday, November 7th at 1:30pm EDT for our Twitch livestream! We'll be showing off:

New melee system / animations
Lascannon updates
New locomotion
Void shield generator goodness

Associate
OP
This week's twitch stream in handy YouTube Format

They are focusing on SM vs CSM to get the 'balance of combat' right before working on the Eldar and Orks.

Early Access isn't going to be the standard 'bug hunt' with more features slowly added in. They want to make 'polished modules' of each sub-section of the game which we will be able to go into and test a more 'finished' project.

Slightly concerning that the lead dev has said that his 'Free to Waaagh' Ork will be his casual character and that his Space Marine one will be his dedicated 'strategic' character..

The latest footage of the marines looks decent. The animation has a good balance of speed and power but with the weight one might expect from power armour.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am a huge fan of 40k and this looks bloody awful. Graphics are from 10 years ago and the gameplay looks mediocre at best.

As for those warp streams... cringe cringe cringe.

Associate
OP
I am trying to be optimistic. The game is till in 'pre-alpha' stage so there is a lot of work yet to be done.

So far it is still looking a lot like Space Marine 2.0 but with extra bells and whistles.

Associate
OP
At last some news worth reporting on.

Alpha Testing for Founders starts on Monday, 14th September. Invitations will be sent out in batches starting with a couple of hundred accounts. The order will roughly be based on the date you made your purchase. The Developers are hoping to have all Founders in testing by the end of October if they can.

"On Monday September 14th, the people that have Captain’s packs or higher in terms of RTP and were the first to buy, will start to enter the Closed Alpha. We will start slowly with admission in the 100s, with the eventual goal of getting all Captain’s pack and higher in by October.
If you want to get in as part of the Captain’s wave, you can still secure your spot in it by buying, or upgrading, to a Captain’s pack before we start the Sergeants’ wave. I know; shameless plug but more Founders means more war. In the grim darkness of the far future, there can be only more war."

Link

Note that the game plan has changed significantly.

"So you might be wondering what’s in this Closed Alpha and what you are getting early access to as Founders?

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is far from complete. It is still in development, will evolve and will be updated weekly. We are a Massive Online Shooter and the Closed Alpha focuses only on creating a great Shooter experience, before becoming Massive.

The persistent world, meta-game, continent, territories, theater of war, campaigns, character progression, thousands of items, customized loadouts, visual personalization, more game modes, commanders, PVE and other MMO aspects, as well as the last factions will gradually be added to the Closed Alpha and well into Beta.

It’s true; we once said we’d have individual modules of these available, then we changed focus and scope to a full vertical slice available this Fall. Then we got Unreal, good people left, good people joined, things changed, designs iterated and optimized, playtesting lead us in new directions and voila, we were confident we could move Closed Alpha, a vertical shooter slice from Fall to Summer.

And here it is, still technically Summer.

How is it different from what I’ll experience when we launch, you ask?

Besides many of the core systems mentioned above, what you will find is a very traditional entry into individual maps basically. These are individual outposts or fortresses with various game modes. Soon there will be different biomes like snow or lava and “mutators” as we call them, like a warp storm or night mode, which highly affects the factions abilities to fight on the same map. You will enter a queue and jump straight into the fray.

This will evolve over time when more core systems are added. Culminating in the larger theater of war on a continent with territories which have outposts and a fortress, mutators and instanced PVE encounters. This moves us more and more away from the “map” mentality, to the “open world” territories and massive battles.

How that evolves and how long that takes is entirely dependent on our progress, feedback, technology and of course, you.
We are excited that you want to help us develop the game in this early state, give us feedback, test and be able to have a great impact on its direction.

We will be with you, shooting you and on the closed Founder’s forums. The first rule of Closed Alpha is: you do not talk about Closed Alpha. You will be under NDA, which we hope we can lift as soon as possible, so you can spread the gospel as evangelists, leading the masses to the light."

Latest interview with the developers.

Lastly, the some of the Devs have created Steam Accounts as part of a 'Slaughter the Devs' idea where Founders get to play against/with them as part of the Alpha Testing. Whether or not this means the client will be directly downloadable from Steam is unknown.

Apologies for the long hiatus but IRL this year has been a bit...challenging for me.

Soldato
It's still quite early days. There's another thread kicking about with more info from recent updates (eg tyrannid swarms now in the game etc). I personally enjoy it, but it definitely feels early access still

Associate
It's still quite early days. There's another thread kicking about with more info from recent updates (eg tyrannid swarms now in the game etc). I personally enjoy it, but it definitely feels early access still

can't seem to see the other thread.

Is it worth the £23 it can be bought for?

Although i'll have to buy more ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just brought the Warrior Pack and registered my two player characters, I honestly can't believe my name wasn't reserved already, it's crazy.

Clearly, my main is going to be a Iron Warrior and my second is a Ultramarine.

Not sure what to do with the other two slots, maybe a Eldar but I can't think of a name for it yet.

I'm still ****ed that this game is just Space Marine but bigger. It needs first person badly.

Where did you bring it from?

Soldato
It has a lot of promise, but still needs a lot of Polish before I would recommend it to people who aren't already fans of WH40k. It's definitely fun though so if you are a fan go ahead and buy it now. Otherwise hold fire and wait for it to be finished

Associate
looks like this game is out this friday, worth £24 do you think?

From the 3 hours steam says i have played i would say no. just doesnt feel all that great to play. It doesnt even play as good as spacemarine in multiplayer.

Maybe with more time but with the release so close they are not going to change the fundementals of the game now and its really these that feel wrong

Back
Top Bottom