High Refresh Rate Panels and Displays - A road-map and round-up

Associate
It will come eventually, probably next year to mainstream.

But this just to explain that one thing is to put paper specs on Displayport.org, and entirely other level of difficulty to actually implement these in (reasonably cost) hardware ;)

Also i'd say with ~80% confidence that Nvidia and Amd cards don't yet actually support dp 1.3&1.4 - in a sense, if somebody makes such monitor & cable *this instant* and you plug it in *right now*, you wont get higher bandwidth support. They just saying its "supported" because they know when actual downstream hardware arrives, they just have to release updated driver which will put new signal to output socket.

Last edited:
Soldato
We don’t expect to see any “4k” resolution IPS panels with high refresh rate until late 2017 at the moment.

That means I won't be upgrading my main screen until 2018. It also means there'll be no need for me to update my GPUs until then either.

Associate
I wonder if NVIDIA is going to create a DP 1.3/1.4 G-Sync TCon. The current DP 1.2 G-Sync TCon is long in the tooth and not able to handle the higher resolution/faster panels of 2017.

This could lead to AMD Freesync sweeping the market and AMD GPU's getting a huge sales boost in 2017.

Badass, you think NVIDIA would respond to your query about a new G-Sync module? Curious if you have any contacts there.

Adaptive sync will be a huge deal with these high resolution/demanding displays starting in 2017. Dealing with screen tear and V-Sync lag is nothing I wish to revisit.

Soldato
I think it is getting close to a time when Nvidia might say "ok we are going to support adaptive sync now". Surely it is advantageous for Nvidia to support both, then they would have Gsync and adaptive sync support, even less reasons for people to get AMD you would think.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't count on NVidia using Freesync anytime in foreseeable future. The way they see it "we control majority of GPU market share, so they should use our standard, not vice versa".

Btw, interesting enough, they *already* have Adaptive Sync support in their driver - its used for "Gsync-on-laptops". Laptops don't use Gsync module and use standard eDP AdaptiveSync. They use purely artificial restriction to make it work only on "approved G-sync laptops" (translation - ones which paid them $$$ for G-sync "license", which in this case is just the *permission*, not any actual hardware).
And you should see measures they go that *nobody* mods it to work on "unapproved" laptop screens, and, god forbid, external DP, - whitelists everywhere, hardware tamper checks - to the level that its really easy to *brick* your laptop/GPU if you will try to hack it.

Last edited:
Associate
It seems that everything is going towards bigger higher resolution faster panels, but are there any 24" freesync IPS 1080p displays on the horizon? The choice seems pretty limited for those criteria.

Associate
Nice roundup Baddass.

I'm very interested to see how the upcoming VA panels fair in regards to their response times. Its always been the downfall of that tech and the main reason that we see so few gaming VA panels so the fact that two manufacturers seem to be focusing on VA for their upcoming gaming panels makes me hopeful that they have solved the problem!

A 34" 3440x1440 VA panel with 144hz refresh rate and decent response times would be incredible. I've been using TNs and IPS displays for so long i don't think i can even remember what proper inky deep blacks look like :o

Is HDR on the horizon at all for monitors? Its being pushed heavily by the TV manufacturers in the new 4k displays but theres not been a peep about it from the monitor side as far as i know :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom