** macOS Sierra / OS X 10.12 **

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
Out of interest, why fresh install?
Ever since I've owned a Mac, I've always done an upgrade from the previous version of the OS. Some time ago, I decided to do a fresh install to see whether it would make any difference to the performance. It didn't! It ran exactly the same on a fresh install as it had previously. And that's going from my old Mac Pro in 2009 through to when I replaced it with the iMac in 2011 and restored a Time Machine backup.

I can understand if someone has problems but I don't see the point in a fresh install otherwise, doesn't the upgrade delete a lot of the rubbish not needed anyway?

Also I can see it being a pain for myself having to set up all my preferences again.

So you guys are finding Sierra Ok?

Might attempt an upgrade at the weekend from El cap.

Caporegime
I always do the upgrades as well, never any issues that are out of the ordinary (As in bugs that others report as well, but due to the OS not due to the upgrade)

I think fresh installs are habits from PC's :p

Reviews online are saying its good and worth upgrading. Will be doing it tonight.

Also I hope Siri can be disabled entirely. Such a complete waste of R&D IMO. It will never ever get used.

Permabanned
I always do the upgrades as well, never any issues that are out of the ordinary (As in bugs that others report as well, but due to the OS not due to the upgrade)

I think fresh installs are habits from PC's :p

Reviews online are saying its good and worth upgrading. Will be doing it tonight.

Also I hope Siri can be disabled entirely. Such a complete waste of R&D IMO. It will never ever get used.

Siri will be the first thing I disable, along with that desktop sync feature.

Ditto!

Associate
Since updating yessterday every time i open Safri web browser after 2 min my macbook pro feels really hot all the fans come on full blast until i exit it..

Its never happend before this update...ill be using Chrome until this is sorted out

Soldato
Chrome will do the same thing , it's the most resource hungry application I've ever known! You're only browsing the web not 3D editing although using chrome you'd be forgiven for thinking you were.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also I hope Siri can be disabled entirely.
Oh right, now I get it, microsoft are copying apple? (I am deliberating apple iMAC for music production, new to apple hardware but that is one absurd price tag for the top iMAC 5k retina) In windows 10 anniversary update you can create a registry hack to disable Cortana.

Caporegime
Oh right, now I get it, microsoft are copying apple? (I am deliberating apple iMAC for music production, new to apple hardware but that is one absurd price tag for the top iMAC 5k retina) In windows 10 anniversary update you can create a registry hack to disable Cortana.
Errr.....:confused:

I merely pointed out that I do not like Siri. I've always thought its been a stupid gimmick for 95% of their user base which apple has thrown a ridiculous amount of R&D into. They spend a lot of effort advertising how good Siri is when realistically, it's useless.

Hence why I hope you can disable it :p

Commissario
Doesn't bother me if it's enabled or not - I actually do use it a fair bit on my iPhone but can see why people don't.

Anyway, yes, you can turn Siri on or off.

siri-20160922-055859.png

Permabanned

what are you on about! lol.

I'm all sorted back to normal, was really busy yesterday so did it first thing when I got in last night.

Man of Honour
I use Siri on my phone most days when cooking. I basically use it to set timers where I may have wet hands and don't want to touch the phone. Plus setting an alarm at times, like wake me up at xx. That's about it.
Every time I turn my iMac on and it gets to the logon screen and I start typing in my password, the whole computer freezes for about 30 seconds. No input allowed, the curser doesn't flash. Then it goes back to normal. It also doesn't wake from sleep, so it spends its time turned on.

I'm hoping this update fixes it, if not I'm tempted to start from scratch to eliminate a hardware issue.

I worked it out, it was my LG BD drive, I turned it off and it's stopped. Not tested sleep yet though.

Permabanned
I use Siri on my phone most days when cooking. I basically use it to set timers where I may have wet hands and don't want to touch the phone. Plus setting an alarm at times, like wake me up at xx. That's about it.

I worked it out, it was my LG BD drive, I turned it off and it's stopped. Not tested sleep yet though.

You looked for any firmwear up dates for it?

Back
Top Bottom