Golf Thread

Associate
No love for Furyk and his 58?

Jim Furyk shot a 58... yes a 58 in the final round of the '16 Travelers at TPC River Highlands this past Sunday.

Wow!

What an amazing feat!

The only golfer to post 2 sub 60 rounds in PGA competition: 59 and now 58.

I loved his comment after the round ( paraphrasing ) "I have about 300 pictures all over the house with 59 memorabilla... I gotta get rid of all that crap!" :D

Associate
I was gutted I missed this. Out at a BBQ and got a notification on the 58 and was genuinely shocked! I like the fact it goes to show it does not matter how you swing a club to shoot the perfect round. Also couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I really want to see a shot by shot of his round but I am assuming because he was so early out in the day they didn't start recording until the 10th hole. Such a shame to not get his entire round on camera.

Soldato
It will be on camera somewhere hopefully, it just wasn't broadcast here.

Won my third competition of the year this weekend just gone, 40 stableford points in pretty nasty winds. Thought I'd have walked it but edged it on the countback.

The score saw me reach my season's goal of getting down to single figures. I've gone from 11.6 to 9.0 and after Sunday's result I've been docked an extra shot to 8.0 :eek:

Going to be interesting to see if I can start to play to it consistently!

Soldato
Rough weather for this weekend's two day major. The worst of it was Saturday where after the first round I was 6th with a nett 77. The second round on Sunday was better weather but much worse golf. Nothing went my way and I sulked my way round with an 82 nett feeling very sorry for myself. Two of the par 5s did it where I scored an 8 and a 9 :eek:

Up to 8.2 :p

Associate
Played in my club championships just over a week ago and shot a nett 73 (+1) but my division was won by a nett 66 and considering I had 3 double bogeys on the card I wasn't expecting to be anywhere near the lead

Managed to get a couple of rounds in this last weekend with a couple mates at different courses and played a bit better shooting a nett 69 (-3) on Saturday followed by a nett 67 (-6) on Sunday. Typical that I start to hit some form just as the season is drawing to a close

If I can work on the things from my lessons over the winter and then take this consistency into next year I will hopefully get myself down to single figures

Associate
Just looking for a little advice please!

Recently started getting into golf a few months ago, started mainly at a driving range and a few par 3 courses (and one shocking round on a full size).

I bought a cheap set of Mizuno irons for around £100 on eBay in standard length/loft/lie, however I always feel that in my setup I'm heavily crouched over the ball and struggle to make clean contact (lots of topped shots).

I'm 6ft 3 and just wondering if I should be looking at potentially sourcing some longer clubs, or whether I'm just looking for excuses around my lack of technique still being a beginner. When I have played with my brother he comments that I look like I'm using "baby clubs".

Using the Ping online fitting tool it recommends clubs +1/2" long with silver dot (3.75 degrees upright). I understand that this is really only a starting point for a club fitting but I don't feel confident enough in my swing to be fit by a professional, however I don't want to persist with these clubs if they are going to hinder my progress. I've been scanning eBay a lot but longer upright clubs at decent prices seem to be a bit of a rarity.

Any advice greatly appreciated, hopefully that all made sense.

Associate
Just looking for a little advice please!

Recently started getting into golf a few months ago, started mainly at a driving range and a few par 3 courses (and one shocking round on a full size).

I bought a cheap set of Mizuno irons for around £100 on eBay in standard length/loft/lie, however I always feel that in my setup I'm heavily crouched over the ball and struggle to make clean contact (lots of topped shots).

I'm 6ft 3 and just wondering if I should be looking at potentially sourcing some longer clubs, or whether I'm just looking for excuses around my lack of technique still being a beginner. When I have played with my brother he comments that I look like I'm using "baby clubs".

Using the Ping online fitting tool it recommends clubs +1/2" long with silver dot (3.75 degrees upright). I understand that this is really only a starting point for a club fitting but I don't feel confident enough in my swing to be fit by a professional, however I don't want to persist with these clubs if they are going to hinder my progress. I've been scanning eBay a lot but longer upright clubs at decent prices seem to be a bit of a rarity.

Any advice greatly appreciated, hopefully that all made sense.

I would advise that you forget the fitting for now, you would be better served getting some lessons from a pro before you get too many bad habits, and he will also be able to advise on potential changes to clubs

The Ping fitting tool will only really work if you buy Ping clubs - I asaked a question to someone who works in the shaft industry and his reply was that there is no standard length for measuring irons across all manufacturers so if you really want to be fitted you need to base it on the 'standard' lengths of the clubs you choose (I am 6ft 3in tall and play Srixon clubs that are 1" longer than standard and 2 degrees upright, so completely different to what you were recommended by the Ping fitting)

Once you have a more consistent swing, then you could look at getting fitted for clubs. At the moment your swing is likely to change from day to day and even swing to swing in a round

Regardless of what you do, just enjoy being out playing golf

Associate
I would advise that you forget the fitting for now, you would be better served getting some lessons from a pro before you get too many bad habits, and he will also be able to advise on potential changes to clubs

The Ping fitting tool will only really work if you buy Ping clubs - I asaked a question to someone who works in the shaft industry and his reply was that there is no standard length for measuring irons across all manufacturers so if you really want to be fitted you need to base it on the 'standard' lengths of the clubs you choose (I am 6ft 3in tall and play Srixon clubs that are 1" longer than standard and 2 degrees upright, so completely different to what you were recommended by the Ping fitting)

Once you have a more consistent swing, then you could look at getting fitted for clubs. At the moment your swing is likely to change from day to day and even swing to swing in a round

Regardless of what you do, just enjoy being out playing golf

Sound advice, I second this.

Down the road when your swing is relatively consistent then you can think about fitted clubs..... if you think you still need them.

Truthfully, unless you're at or close to being a scratch golfer I'm not sure they'll help all that much. They may, but then again they may not.

Associate
Thanks for the sound advice guys and detailed replies.

What you've said to me makes a lot of sense, I was just wanting to make sure that using standard length clubs wouldn't force me into bad habits/posture, wasn't sure if club fitting was hugely critical at the start.

I will stick with the current clubs for now and look into finding a local instructor before changing anything.

Cheers!

Associate
Thanks for the sound advice guys and detailed replies.

What you've said to me makes a lot of sense, I was just wanting to make sure that using standard length clubs wouldn't force me into bad habits/posture, wasn't sure if club fitting was hugely critical at the start.

I will stick with the current clubs for now and look into finding a local instructor before changing anything.

Cheers!

Firstly go and see a pro to have a couple of lessons he/she will iron out any fundamental problems that you have right from the get go, starting off with good fundamentals will save you a lot of pain in the future.

Secondly fitting will make a huge difference especially to somebody as tall as yourself, the average male in the UK is 5ft 9 so standard clubs will be designed for somebody around that height.

Associate
Most lessons tend to be a half hour. As you can see by the packages they do. I suggest try that first to make sure that you like the pro.

Soldato
Went to bed on a high after watching Rory clinch the tournament and FedEx cup, woke up to the news about Arnold. Gutted. Such a nice chap. Never got to speak to him but got a handshake at The Open a long time ago.

RIP Arnold.

Associate
RIP Arnie! :(

Arnie was a transcendent player imo. A great golfer with the ability to relate to the common man.

He's responsible for bringing the game to the masses, in the US at least.

I grew up a proud member of his 'Army', still am.

You'll be missed sir....

Associate
What is everyone's opinions of day one pairings!? Not too impressed myself. Reid off the back of some strong golf and paired with Speith I think wins match 1. You feel we have to win the 2nd match with Mickelson and Fowlers stats. Match 3 could go either way I think and match 4 has to be advantage US too. Looking forward to seeing Rafa play though as he is strong in match play!

Back
Top Bottom