** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
I'm in need of a good 1440p144Hz Monitor. Only issue is that I've not got the desk space to put it and double-monitor wall mounts are extortionate. Even with my 970, this still seems like a good monitor to get, but I'd need somewhere to put it first.

Associate
Anybody got hints on how to set this monitor up.

can you list some of your settings as it could just be that with mine

I have the TFTCentral ICC profile loaded and then I'm using FPS preset modified to below, as my testing showed the image is clearer than other presets stock/modified:-

Blue Light Filter = Level 0
Brightness = varying depending on room lighting (30 daytime 15 evening under lighting)
Contrast = 80
Saturation = 50
Color Temp = User mode R:100 G:96 B:96
Skin tone = Natural
Sharpness = 50
Trace free = 80
Vivid pixel = 0
ASCR = Off but will select On at times as helps with darker environment games.
FreeSync = On

I have edited FreeSync range using CRU to 57-144 but tend to just use default after testing the mod as it's more relevant to the FPS I have in game.

Next a question for MG279Q owners that have RMA'd direct with Asus, did you receive new or refurb replacement monitor?

Associate
I have the TFTCentral ICC profile loaded and then I'm using FPS preset modified to below, as my testing showed the image is clearer than other presets stock/modified:-

Blue Light Filter = Level 0
Brightness = varying depending on room lighting (30 daytime 15 evening under lighting)
Contrast = 80
Saturation = 50
Color Temp = User mode R:100 G:96 B:96
Skin tone = Natural
Sharpness = 50
Trace free = 80
Vivid pixel = 0
ASCR = Off but will select On at times as helps with darker environment games.
FreeSync = On

I have edited FreeSync range using CRU to 57-144 but tend to just use default after testing the mod as it's more relevant to the FPS I have in game.

Next a question for MG279Q owners that have RMA'd direct with Asus, did you receive new or refurb replacement monitor?
Thanks for the reply , I ended up changing it for a Benq TN panel in the end

Soldato
I still have mine and love it. Even though I switched to a 1070 a few months ago and don't have freesync, I wouldn't change it. Brilliant picture and great for gaming.

Associate
picked one up yesterday blown away completely its amazing, have a few questions so please help!

Firstly its just come out of the box and setup up not actually tinkered with any settings so any recommended settings?

only been playing battlefield 1 and when i first load bf1 up a pop in middle of the screen comes on saying freesync disabled no range 30-90 or something like that shouldn't freesync stay on?

Associate
I posted what I use, it's quoted in post 1051 :) .

That message means refresh rate went out of FreeSync range. Even though the panel is 144MHz it's FreeSync range is 35Hz to 90Hz. If you set windows to use 90Hz refresh rate you shouldn't get that message. I don't have BF1 so can not say if you can set refresh rate in game menu, if you can set it as 90Hz and regardless of what windows is set to you will get that Hz.

The other option is to use CRU to customise the FreeSync range (guide). I have modified mine just for testing the procedure and it does work, you will see the refresh rate follow FPS in the OSD of monitor even if you get the message on screen that FreeSync is disabled.

HTH :) .

Associate
I posted what I use, it's quoted in post 1051 :) .

That message means refresh rate went out of FreeSync range. Even though the panel is 144MHz it's FreeSync range is 35Hz to 90Hz. If you set windows to use 90Hz refresh rate you shouldn't get that message. I don't have BF1 so can not say if you can set refresh rate in game menu, if you can set it as 90Hz and regardless of what windows is set to you will get that Hz.

The other option is to use CRU to customise the FreeSync range (guide). I have modified mine just for testing the procedure and it does work, you will see the refresh rate follow FPS in the OSD of monitor even if you get the message on screen that FreeSync is disabled.

HTH :) .

Thanks for that will try your settings out tonight , I take it editing the freesync range with that guide is risk free?

Soldato
I purchased one of these this week and found myself distinctly underwhelmed by it out of the box, even after applying the settings TFTCentral recommended. It just didn't look good at all. Then I applied the ICC profile they provided (something I've never actually done before) and wow, the difference is incredible. It looks amazing now. I don't know if it makes such a large difference for all monitors, but the improvement it made to the image quality is remarkable.

Other than that, the panel has no dead or stuck pixels, only a very tiny bit of backlight bleed on the left edge and slight IPS glow in the bottom right (but I knew to expect that from my previous Dell U2414H). Pretty delighted with it overall. Now I just need Vega to live up to the hype so that I can use FreeSync. :D

Soldato
I purchased one of these this week and found myself distinctly underwhelmed by it out of the box, even after applying the settings TFTCentral recommended. It just didn't look good at all. Then I applied the ICC profile they provided (something I've never actually done before) and wow, the difference is incredible. It looks amazing now. I don't know if it makes such a large difference for all monitors, but the improvement it made to the image quality is remarkable.

Other than that, the panel has no dead or stuck pixels, only a very tiny bit of backlight bleed on the left edge and slight IPS glow in the bottom right (but I knew to expect that from my previous Dell U2414H). Pretty delighted with it overall. Now I just need Vega to live up to the hype so that I can use FreeSync. :D
About to pull the trigger myself since it's dropped in price by £60 overnight. Don't have a GPU to drive it yet but that's OK for now!

Associate
About to pull the trigger myself since it's dropped in price by £60 overnight. Don't have a GPU to drive it yet but that's OK for now!

Wow these have gone up, glad I got mine on black Friday.

Like others have said, use the TFTCentral settings with the ICC profile and it really looks great on my monitor. I also have some backlight bleed on the bottom right hand side and no dead pixel. I came from a 24" Dell ultrasharp IPS at 1080 and this just looks brilliant compared to 1080, I'm really happy with it.

Soldato
Wow these have gone up, glad I got mine on black Friday.
Yep I was very close to buying on Black Friday but just wasn't sure; it was £430 then IIRC. Since then my monitor died (not a simple replace capacitors job unfortunately) and I haven't had a serious upgrade to my setup since I bought it in 2009 (aside from an SSD) so I thought I'd go for it. Been waiting for it to stop yo-yoing between £460 and £500 for weeks!

Like others have said, use the TFTCentral settings with the ICC profile and it really looks great on my monitor. I also have some backlight bleed on the bottom right hand side and no dead pixel. I came from a 24" Dell ultrasharp IPS at 1080 and this just looks brilliant compared to 1080, I'm really happy with it.
Thanks, will do.

I notice you're using a GTX 1070, so not using FreeSync. Are you waiting for Vega or not interested in that feature? My current GPU doesn't support it anyway so I'm not going to get to use it just yet but I really want to try FreeSync later this year.

Associate
Yep I was very close to buying on Black Friday but just wasn't sure; it was £430 then IIRC.

£430 was what I paid :)

When I was looking for a monitor the main things I wanted were, 1440, 27" at 144Mhz and this monitor ticked all those boxes. I was not willing to go back to a TN panel and I was not willing to pay the £100+ extra for G-Sync. As for the 1070 this the first Nvidia card I have had in about 10 years, the only reason I have it is because my 7990 broke a few weeks before the 1070 came out and I needed a card. AMD had nothing worth buying that was much better than my 7990, so I waited and bought at 1070. But generally I just buy the best card I can afford.

Last edited:
Soldato
£430 was what I paid :)

When I was looking for a monitor the main things I wanted were, 1440, 27" at 144Mhz and this monitor ticked all those boxes. I was not willing to go back to a TN panel and I was not willing to pay the £100+ extra for G-Sync. As for the 1070 this the first Nvidia card I have had in about 10 years, the only reason I have it is because my 7990 broke a few weeks before the 1070 came out and I needed a card. AMD had nothing worth buying that was much better than my 7990, so I waited and bought at 1070. But generally I just buy the best card I can afford.
Fair enough. My previous main monitor (that now doesn't work) was MVA, and I have a secondary IPS one (that my girlfriend is "borrowing") so I didn't want to go back to TN either. I was also not willing to pay the GSync tax!

Back
Top Bottom